Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

A small bit of forest replanting.

Newest rift will happen in the remaining part of the forest south of Gallifrey & New raxa, I announce my intent to replant the rift site afterward and the nearby area as follow :

Txj0jbt.png

Seeing the whole area south of echo lake was trees till someone decided to clear cut all of it and replace them with oaks (despite the neighbors will and/or approval) and with the GM rulling to allow 20 tiles of oaks around his deeds, it's time to make the replanting official and hope this post will make it clear that the highlighted area will be forest again and said individual should stop cutting all the freshly replanted trees. (which have now been done 3 times.)

FAQ:

Spoiler

Why forest, I like oaks?!

Well, whole area doesn't have to be oaks, oaks take a lots of space for little wood provided and are slow to grow, it's easier to have fast growing trees for wood and providing better spawns in the area again. Whole oak area won't be changed anyway.

Dude, stop griefing me!

Hrm, griefing it is not, forest it was, forest it can be again, for the reasons mentionned above. Griefing is in the intent, like purposely cutting all the freshly replanted trees and destroying the area even more. Far from the current case which instead try to restore a bit of the land to its original look, make it a decent hunting spot once again and be used to provide wood for the nearby settlements.

Why destroy all the guy work?!

If by work you intend the oak grove none of it will be destroyed, it's merely replanting trees where it's only grass land (oak grove provide enough grass already for passive critters to spawn), far from the previously mentionned player and close to players settlements who actually want trees.

Why post here?

Just like any public / large scale projects, it's usually better to have the community approval, (and/or) advices,(and/or) support. It also give a paper trail for GMs seeing the large mess in that area already.

Does this concern me?

Yes and no, if you are a neighbor, you can pitch in and voice your opinion and/or give a hand with it. Else it's not a major change to the server (unlike the previous mess done by said player), just trees again.

Why the FAQ?

To clearly enough some facts and leave clear notes behind

Edited by Odynn
best with the map.
  • Like 6

wait so we need to ask permission in a sandbox game now?

• Like 3

I own a deed in the area and I object to this since it is in clear violation of the GM ruling.  If this space is not within 20 tiles of your main deed why should you be allowed to plant any type of tree there?  Why don't you just worry about your main deed and the 20 tiles surrounding it that is not deeded by others and everything will be almost fair.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 2

Which deed do you own then? Also who are you, not exactly a name if seen in my local... you know the spot i try to replant?

And if so you should know the area was forest and is now nothing but grass... so not only the first GM rulling was not respected but the area was not reverted to its previous state.

So, in that case, any large scale project should be submitted to the neighbor reviews.

Edited by Odynn

It's just grass? Nice then you won't have to bother replanting anything since they fixed trees replanting themselves over four years ago.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, armyskin said:

wait so we need to ask permission in a sandbox game now?

to your neighbors, yes definitely, and for any large projects out of deed

Edited by Epryss
  • Like 1

The last thing I am concerned about is how anyone else feels about what I do on or off deed. If it's off deed it's fair game. Don't like then destroy it. It's what I have done for five years now. No sense in asking permission for something in a game where everything is editable.

If someone is not allowed to plant more than 20 tiles from their deed, then planning to replant an entire area not near your main deed would be an equal violation of this ruling. the trees will come back as intended over time. Fair is fair right? And honestly who cares if you dont know the person posting...we all play a sandbox game...that we pay to play, just like the OP does, just like Quas, Mad, Army and myself do. 

Edited by Kriet
  • Like 1

And I too oppose this replanting...stop making it personal

Here's my personal opinion on the topic.  If the land is not deeded by anyone, anyone should be able to plant trees on it; however at the same time, anyone should be allowed to cut those trees down.  It is unclaimed, undeeded area.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Lisabet said:

Here's my personal opinion on the topic.  If the land is not deeded by anyone, anyone should be able to plant trees on it; however at the same time, anyone should be allowed to cut those trees down.  It is unclaimed, undeeded area.

on a 10 squares on the map surface ?

Edited by Epryss
typo

Then you get alot of woodcutting skill if you're not pleased by the trees. I hold that it is undeeded and unclaimed land.  This is a sandbox.

1 minute ago, Epryss said:

on a 10 squares on the map surface ?

you can always cut the trees down and plant your own, look at all the lovely oak logs to be had!

if you want a forest that you can control, deed it imo

• Like 1

gotta love seeing the whole MR crew getting involved on that thread. specially seeing how they are missing the point and rallying behind a griefer... so long wurm online.

Ok, so if this had been sand instead, would you, as neighbour, still have approved?

Or for example a long rift in the landscape to create a canal?

How many times is it reasonable that the opponetnts cut down and replant an area before enough is enough?

I happened to walk in to this area chaising gold veins, and now all I see around me is oaks.

So far I have tried to cooperate with Quasi, thinking his tantrum about a mission to cut oaks in his perimeter , he is a fellow player after all.

But this has been going on too long now.

Odynn is beeing open about his intentions.

And I quote Enki:

Being neighborly!

From time to time we end up looking into area disputes on the Freedom cluster.  The disputes range from highway changes, new roads, canals, tree cutting, etc.  This is partially why we have the “Play Nice or we will rip your heart out” rule, as it allows us to mediate any serious issues, but at the base of all of them is usually a lack of communication.  While we respect your privilege to do work within a certain range of your deeded areas, we expect for you to cooperate and communicate with your nearby neighbors as best as possible so that you can adjust or adapt to their plans and needs, and they vice versa.  Even if it takes you awhile to get into contact with your neighbors, you should always be neighborly and give them a heads up to any projects you are working on that may affect their time and enjoyment.  Projects such as road changes, terrain changes, fences, etc.  Anything that will affect land near them or access near them should be discussed.  Not only does such communication make the social environment much better, it will improve interaction and teamwork on large projects, but most importantly it will avoid creating a situation that needs a moderator to get involved in.

Please keep these tips in mind when you are working near others on the Freedom Cluster.  We hate having to ban people just because they are being jerks…. Oh wait…  well… at least you would likely not enjoy being considered a disruptive jerk and getting banned, because trust me, we do enjoy banning disruptive jerks!

Edited by Cecci
typos
  • Like 4

I'm not in any way supporting griefing.  I'm simply saying that if land is undeeded and unclaimed and not in your perimeter I don't understand why anyone can control it.

*edit* 

Also not sure why kingdoms are even brought into this.  That seems to be the answer all the time and it's dumb imo.

Edited by Lisabet

nobody pretends to control it, thats not the point.

if you do something off deed and expect others to leave it alone, then yes it is

Ok, then tell that to Quasiwud, not to Odynn.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Epryss said:

nobody pretends to control it, thats not the point.

Then please explain in detail what the point is? would this even be an issue if it were pine or maple that was being planted?

As far as I'm concerned, it applies to everyone.  I'm not personally attacking anyone here.

36 minutes ago, Kriet said:

Then please explain in detail what the point is? would this even be an issue if it were pine or maple that was being planted?

... re read the whole topic, but you sound like to have your mind set, so this would explain why you don't get it. Then i can't help.

I am not the one who open this topic, thought I totally agree with the fact no one should deforest an area of 10 squares. And if i understand well, it's been done a few times.

I, like many other players, have been seduced by Wurm for the peaceful playgame. That's why i don't play on Chaos.

We do have a lot of freedom of deed as long as game rules are respected and other players as well, tho nobody can play like if they are all alone. This is Wurm online, Not jerk online. Thank you for reading.

• Like 3