Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Ruins and Reclaimation

As many of you know, I've travelled around Xanadu a fair bit.  I've ended up going offroad more than once to find a rift and, usually, I either find well upkept deeds or piles of furniture (usually empty bsbs/fsbs) in a strangely flat paved area.  More than once, I've followed a road that simply isn't there.  This can be confusing, and it really isn't too visually satisfying either so I suggest the following changes.

1.  Add a new variant for each type of road tile; overgrown road. 

• Any road that is under highway protection CANNOT become overgrown
  • Overgrown roads have a different texture and are easier to remove
  • Walking on an overgrown road tile has a 15% chance to remove the overgrowth unless they are on a deed with the (new) setting "Preserve overgrowth".
  • Road overgrowth can be cleared with a sickle, gives sprout picking forestry experience.
  • Overgrown roads can be created by using ivy sprouts on a road tile, gives planting gardening experience
  • If a road tile has not been used for 1-2 weeks (slightly random) it becomes overgrown.
  • Otherwise, overgrown roads function identically to normal roads
  • ROADS DO NOT DECAY AWAY AND ARE NOT REMOVED IN ANY WAY

2.  When a GROUND FLOOR wall decays, create a "ruined wall" (variants for each wall type)

• Ruined walls have the same passable property as the wall they decayed from (ruined doors are always passable to all)
  • They can be easily removed using a pickaxe (for stone) or axe (for wood).  Removing a ruined wall refunds some of the wall material.
  • Ruined walls can be created by players with a high masonry/carpentry skill (akin to regular non-building walls)
  • Ruined walls decay slowly (aiming to make them outlast BSBs/FSBs of similar QL)

3.  When a deed collapses a vine altar spawns somewhere in its perimeter and a vine crystal spawns where the deed token was located

• 40 prayers at a vine altar (or crystal) removes it (each prayer does 2.5 damage to both).
  • May only pray at a vine altar after 24 hours of its creation
  • Cannot deed over an area covered by a vine crystal, a vine crystal stores the old deed size.
  • If a vine altar is not removed within a week of the deed falling, then the area where the old deed was is "naturalised" (25-50% of road is removed, all remaining road is overgrown and all buildings take a large decay hit, dirt slides and gets moved around)
  • ALLOWS OLD DEEDS TO BE NATURALISED WITH A LONG TIMEFRAME TO PREVENT IT

• Like 5

This is really interesting!  Ruined walls won't happen I think.  Lots of art work.  Probably the same for overgrown roads, unless they use a single overgrown image, regardless of the original road type.

I think the timer for overgrown needs to be much longer - more like 3-6 months.  Recovering from overgrown should take actual road maintenance, not just from walking on it.  If overgrown and you go exploring down it and by RNG it becomes repaired, then someone else may think it a current road.

#3 is my favorite though.  Having some way to naturalize a deed, after it has expired.  I'd want all roads wiped out, earth and rock blended in some way and all caves cleared out.  Also, if a deed owner disbands intentionally, they should have the option to check for "naturalize" when it expires.  Could then potentially be used in good and bad ways, so might need certain restrictions, like a requirement that the deed was active for more than a month.

+1 to a more beautiful Wurm.  I've been asking for some form of process that erases old teraforming scars over time and this would be great for it.

Is there any way for me to convey the amount of +1 I have for this. 

• Like 1

Yes please to something that slowly returns formerly terraformed deeds to a more natural look.

Love the overgrown roads idea, but there's a couple problems that might make it look funky (for the lack of a better word).

What happens when the road is running through a desert, through mycelium (chaos/epic), and/or it's winter? Take those variables into consideration and the devs would have to include many more textures prevent things from looking out of place, along with detection of nearby tiles. It would be much easier if Wurm had a different system for texturing the ground, using masks or something of that sort, but as far as I know it just doesn't work like that. :( Though the idea is awesome in concept.