Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

WSA: Rarity and cooking affinities poll.

WSA.png

With the introduction of affinities being gained from foods in 1.3 it was added that rarity of ingredients, cookers and utensils  would change the end result affinity as well as boost timer lengths.

This has been raised several times as a point of contention, and while removing it is possible, it would upset those who have used rare+ parts to find the affinities they do like and want.

With the new calculation system, we had thought we removed the affinity calculations taking rarity into account, but unfortunately this is not possible without affecting those on the old system as well.

As such, we are launching an ingame poll to determine whether to remove the rarity effect changing affinity results.

If we remove rarity affecting the results all affinities found from rare+ parts will be the same as affinities found with common parts for BOTH systems.

PLEASE NOTE: Rare+ ingredients, utensils, and cookers would still boost affinity timer length compared to non rare components, they just would not change the resulting affinity.

We understand that this could lead to losses, which is why we are using a poll to gather your input on the matter.

The poll will last for 7 days, until around 17:00 Server time (UTC+1) on the 19th of June.

Regards,

The Wurm Team

Maybe give rare cookers/utensils a bonus of some type to the cooked foods?

That is the case currently too, I've clarified that though, thanks! 

So is the point of the poll some people want rarity to affect change and others don't want it to?

As far as I am concerned every item in the game that is rare should have some form of bonus connected to its use, or what is the point in a rare item other than it is 'shiny'.

• Like 2

Rare ovens burn longer and cook faster as well, but the cook faster part doesn't really work after the polling update.

The 'burn' longer really sucks for long cooking sessions. My rare oven died out the other night while I was puzzling together a full house pizza, now granted I was not organized and was running all over my deed periodically gathering ingredients through out the process and spending too much time figuring out things, but burn times for ovens seems really low.

I now see why folks are not happy about the polling time, it really does suck.

• Like 1

currently rare items do:

longer affinity timers

Change affinity

The proposed system removes the change affinity, and simply lengthens the affinity timer. Meaning if you find an affinity you want with a non rare oven, you can buy or make a rare oven and receive the same affinity, just longer. 

• Like 1

Can the ingame poll be completed by one ingame account per player or all premium accounts?

Maybe I'm slow since I haven't been awake long but the issue is that the new system isn't ignoring rarity of cooker for affinities like it was supposed to, or? 

• Like 1

I'm don't really want to inject my opinion on this here because that's what the poll's for, but wouldn't it make sense to differentiate between utensils and ingredients for the question?

The drawback with rare ingredients seems to be that it's nigh impossible, if not at least completely unreliable for reproducing a good affinity you happened to find(which is why I don't cook with rare ingredients at all), while utensils basically stay forever unless you let them rot away, allowing for consistently reproducing affinities in them.

I'm don't intend to spark a discussion here either; the poll is up as it is and will appearantly not be the last word anyway. I'm just wondering if that thought hadn't occured or (more likely) why it was dismissed?

23 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

Maybe I'm slow since I haven't been awake long but the issue is that the new system isn't ignoring rarity of cooker for affinities like it was supposed to, or? 

Yes, and now it's a bigger issue because people who originally opted out of having their known affinities changed by not switching to the new system would get them ruffled a bit anyway if rarity was removed, because it would affect both systems.

Edited by Flubb

5 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

correct, the fix (in profile settings) never actually fixed it.  The issue being, if someone chooses the fix, then cooks a meal with a specific recipe, then hands that meal to someone who did not choose the fix, then that unfixed person would get an affinity that were not expecting.  To me, that is not an issue.  It seems the person doing the cooking should be considered a cooking utensil.  If that utensil is set to "fix" then all their meals come out fixed.  For the people that chose not to take the fix, because they like variety, it doesn't really affect them, unless they are having everyone else cook for them.  All they have to do is choose a fixed cook or unfixed cook to get the results they desire.

Not sure why devs can't just do this and keep everyone happy.

42 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

It seems the person doing the cooking should be considered a cooking utensil. 

Lol , we are each of us a tool. But ya sounds right. It does seem a viable option if the issue is exactly as u described it here. Just leave it as it is as you say.

I will watch for posts on this thread. I am not much of a cooker, but I do have a vote, will watch see as points are made and refuted here and in my chat tabs.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
misspelling

As I went out and bought a rare oven to achieve the right list of affinities after tasting a friend's meals, if cc goes ahead and changes all my affinities I'd like a refund on the oven purchase :P If cc (again) resets affinities, then please let us just pick which affinities we want when cooking, at this point it's getting ridiculous with all the "oh you have your list but now we're resetting it" events since the cooking update launched. Its rather a shame that the coders for cc couldn't fix this perceived problem? (my understanding is that it's intentional) with their opt in program that seemed like the perfect blend of player choice and dev interaction.

• Like 2

Anyway rate utebsil do not change anything right now,  only cooker rarity is a factor - which I would lime go keep. There was already a poll on it with the result to keep the rares different. Now is it up to poll again after a few months? Sounds as a castle built on quicksand.

Was already discussed at length.  The system works as intentionally designed.  Rarity of cooker affects affinity.

The devs should just do what they feel they need to do and move on, imho.

At this point, I just really don't want to see the devs making decisions by player committee, player mob rule, or special snowflake rule.

If the devs feel there's a developmental reason to change the system, then of course, change it asap.

If the devs feel there's a design flaw that might have repercussions in future design plans, then good lord kill it with fire.

If the devs are going to keep asking until special snowflakes finally get what they want... suppose we might as well get it over with but doesn't seem right imho.  So some phat cat with 15 premium alts and 10 years playtime doesn't like the system... anyone who's been using a cooker with rarity should take it on the chin?  I say y'all stuff the snowflakes in a trunk and aim for speed bumps.  But that's me.

Whatever the devs decide to do in accordance with what the devs think is best is what should be done.  No need for a vote.

• Like 6

I chose the fix because with the previous system I could not get meals for certain affinities. What I want is a system which means all chars can potentially get any affinity in the list, and this also means not having to rely in rare ingredients to get certain affinities.  Seeing how some people can't get a rare oven or forge, I would assume it to be much fairer if everyone gets the affinity they got for the non rare oven/forge but just a longer timer (same affinity), and the same for pan vs rare pan, which means that you can stack the timer a bit using a rare forge/oven plus rare pan to get a meal with a much longer affinity timer.

• Like 2

Just to be clear, all affinities are possible without rare ingredients. Rarity gives additional level to fine tune the meals you make, it can bump up the sequence by one so have another affinity from the same group. A very handy thing - but rarity is in no way needed to achieve all the affinities.

• Like 1

Never did see the need for rare to affect affinity.  Have never paid attention to affinities anyway so I really don't care.  However, I recently made a meal using a rare ingredient and discovered that had a large impact on meal ql.  if I did pay attention to affinities, I'd care a lot, and want rarity not to affect things.  I love the increased meal ql that using rare stuff can bring and I'd feel that I had to junk any rare ingredients I was lucky enough to get as they would muck things up.  Make the rares useful! Make rarity not change affinity.

• Like 3

After doing more research on this, here is the what its all about.

Folks that kept the old bugged system still enjoy whatever recipes they get with the rarity system.

Folks who switched over to the new system are no longer affected by this rarity system?

So the only people this affects are the people who wish to remain under the old system, so why take this away from them? It makes no sense, so I see only reasonable option is to leave it as it is.

16 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Folks who switched over to the new system are no longer affected by this rarity system?

People that swapped to the new system are still effected by rares cookers and whatnot, because the affinity is determined when the meal is cooked, and the meal has no way of knowing that the person that's going to eat it in the future has the option enabled, so it has to have the rarity effect it. It was supposed to be fixed but because of how it determines affinity it wasn't fixed.

• Like 1

Okay so, on the old system when it was introduced included rarity to shifting affinities. Some raised this as having downsides, if you do all your work on a non rare oven, and turn yours rare, you instantly lose all your affinities if you use it. Getting rares should be a positive thing, but this was clearly a downside.

So we had a forum poll 

The results of this were to keep it as it is, which was fine, we left the choice to the players, as both systems work, and changing everyones affinities from rare+ cookers would be a pain.

When the bug with affinity shifting was found, we changed the system to remove the shifting, and removed the rarity changing affinities for WU. WU only ever got the new system, and rarity of cooker does not change it.

The problem with WO is there's two systems, and the first system takes rarity into account, and is checked in multiple places, the meal HAS to be affected by rarity so people on the old system still had that effect, and thus it affected people on the new system.

So now we're at the point where we have to decide between eliminating it entirely, or keeping it for both systems, and instead of making the call ourselves, we're willing to let those affected have their say. 

This isnt about players deciding dev directions or mob mentality, it's simply one system or another, where players get to choose how it turns out. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this