Sign in to follow this  
antonslavick

Indie Map Change

Being able to search for deeds is great, but not being able to just have a flat map you can look around quickly is a bit annoying.

• Like 1

I like the idea, but don't think it should be a copy of the Xanadu map. I like the current Albia Map, but it would be cool to take a few of the features from the Xanadu map and make one better than both.

I.E the deed search, more up to date deed locations and terraforming. 

I agree with Cathor I like the Albia map but like some of the options on the Xanadu map. 

I would love an Indy version of the Xanadu map, as well as it being a live updated online map rather than downloading a new version each change. It shouldn't be hard to add a filter to it to remove geographic features. Google map does it, and pretty sure Xanadu map is built on the google map engine.

Edited by Kelody

Personally I  like the Indy map as it is. I have seen the community map evolve over many years. It is in the best shape ever.

Our map gets updated at least 3 times a month.

If you have a specific change or feature you would like please post the suggestion, the maintainers have added many requested features since they took over .

Rather than look with the browser at the link, download it and use a good viewer, then your can zoom in farther than some browsers allow.

I oppose scrapping our map in favor of the Xanadu one.

• Like 1

I don't use your map more often than once-twice a month, but every time it annoys me that it doesn't show slopes while we're living in the era of official topographic and isomorphic mapdumps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zorako said:

Rather than look with the browser at the link, download it and use a good viewer, then your can zoom in farther than some browsers allow.

If I was editing the map, downloading would be preferred. But since I just want a quick view of the current map, without having to download it every time, I would prefer an online version with full zoom.

9 hours ago, zorako said:

Our map gets updated at least 3 times a month.

This is actually why an online version would be preferred. It is great we have such active mappers.

I prefer having a copy of the Indy map downloaded so I'd not have to open a browser window while travelling and allows for easy zooming in/out.

So my vote's for keeping the Independance map as it is..

I def love the xanadu map, it's so easy to get around and being able to cycle through all the layouts and zoom in at will, very user friendly imo. I use the layout of the land and mountains to guide where I'm going, when none of those things are available I just run to shore and hope to run into one of the deeds in the map to see where I am, I see this as an inconvenience though. I think there should be a more developed version of the current map since I saw the voting results, having the ability to zoom in with the mouse wheel and maybe make it more interactive where you can click on the deeds and get a little info on the owners/villagers etc.

Edited by Legios

Guys, don't forget the deeds info is added on mayors' wish. That's why I never rely on searching for particular place on map since it may be long gone or never placed on the map purposely. If what I entered is on map - good, if not - keep looking around. Also the server size matters in terms of updates possible count/volume. (I know, Xana is bigger than Inde, but then most of the rest servers are smaller, so easier to scan) For years, the community map was always useful and had many improvements. Let it grow steadily. Relying on mapdump itself (especially the one squizing all northern mountain sides to 3 pixels) isn't good idea for maps that should help anybody. I must admit the flat topological Xana view is perfect. We may easily switch to that on Inde map in the future, right?