Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

A New Player Experience

58 minutes ago, Batta said:

While working on a guide for nomadic players on my WU server, I discovered the amazing benefits of spit roasted pig, sheep/ram, or rat.  Each begins with an unbutchered corpse and a branch, and is cooked over a campfire.  

Large rat gives you roasted rat-on-a-stick

Pig gives you roasted hog roast

Sheep or ram gives you roasted lamb roast

They are very easy to make, and require not even a pottery bowl, just a branch and some kindling, but they give exceptional nutrition for a newbie meal. The creatures are even easy for a newbie to kill.  

This is good to know. I have been playing a bit on WU and have also found it incredibly difficult to raise my food bar. I have eaten possibly 20 kg of food prepared in all sorts of different ways. It is mostly diced or minced meat with chopped or unchopped veggies and herbs in a pottery bowl or a frying pan. None of it has made my food bar go up more than 2% per kg. As well, in the time it took me to prepare all of the food, my food bar has dropped more than 2% making the entire effort feel pointless. I am still within my first 24h but once that is done i fear I will be resorting to fasting for quite a while before I am able to adequately sustain myself.

I do feel that this needs to be looked into. Possibly make low ql food still increase the food bar at a decent rate, possibly 20% to 30% per kg or so, but lower nutrition substantially as well as low ccfp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

This is good to know. I have been playing a bit on WU and have also found it incredibly difficult to raise my food bar. I have eaten possibly 20 kg of food prepared in all sorts of different ways. It is mostly diced or minced meat with chopped or unchopped veggies and herbs in a pottery bowl or a frying pan. None of it has made my food bar go up more than 2% per kg. As well, in the time it took me to prepare all of the food, my food bar has dropped more than 2% making the entire effort feel pointless. I am still within my first 24h but once that is done i fear I will be resorting to fasting for quite a while before I am able to adequately sustain myself.

I do feel that this needs to be looked into. Possibly make low ql food still increase the food bar at a decent rate, possibly 20% to 30% per kg or so, but lower nutrition substantially as well as low ccfp.

If you have access to a frying pan, have you considered a sauce pan instead?

I have good luck with stews generally.

On 12.06.2017 at 3:16 PM, Thorakkanath said:

what made me stick in Wurm for longer than any other game in my life was its difficulty. If this game wouldn't have been hard, I would have not stuck around. And honestly, unfortunately now it is not as hard as I would like

I started in a time when we had a shovel, a pickaxe, a short sword, a backpack, a compass and a steel and flint. If you died, you would have lost the compass and the backpack. That is it. No newbie buffs, no less aggression from mobs, no armor. Sure it was hard, but it was arguably the hook that made me stick around. That sense of accomplishment from doing even the simplest tasks. I remember building my first small cart, took a few hours to do...I went to sleep that night with a smile on my face. The countless unfinished items, the moving of dirt with rafts, standing on horses and the green outfits everyone was wearing.....

We have moved (sadly) away from those times. I would however push newcomers to join villages, create communities and long standing friendships that will then be there during their wurm life, rather than the 'i can do it on my own'  persona.

Back then it was basically impossible to survive alone, now - entirely possible. The (MAJOR) difference is that back then, the local communities and villages were acting as the CAs today..but if you are in the middle of nowhere by yourself and have no clue....sure you will need CAs to explain even the basic things. I feel, although appealing to 'live alone in the middle of the mountains' is not sustainable, and most of those people will sooner or later leave wurm. But someone that has dozens of friends around, friends forged through PVP (on pvp servers) or by living in the same community (mind you alliance chat, is not the same as being in the house next door) or trading with others will more than likely remain for much longer in Wurm.

Plus, the easier the game gets, the more characters that want instant gratification will join. I will argue that this is very damaging for the 'core' of wurm players, those that cherish the fundamental values of wurm.

TL;DR: I would fully support an increase in the game's difficulty while at the same time the game/tutorial/staff actively recommending forming of larger communities/villages in order to mitigate the difficulty of doing things

I totaly agree with it. With exception of, even back then it was totally possible to survive alone in the woods. If one tried his best and learnt very basics of surviving in wurm of course.

We also have to think how games have evolved,  Wurm fits in with games 20 years ago that were hard... most games today handhold you much more.  My daughter finds the new Mario games MUCH easier then the old ones so she is easily frustrated playing my NES.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎17 at 4:52 PM, Batta said:

While working on a guide for nomadic players on my WU server, I discovered the amazing benefits of spit roasted pig, sheep/ram, or rat.  Each begins with an unbutchered corpse and a branch, and is cooked over a campfire.  

Large rat gives you roasted rat-on-a-stick

Pig gives you roasted hog roast

Sheep or ram gives you roasted lamb roast

They are very easy to make, and require not even a pottery bowl, just a branch and some kindling, but they give exceptional nutrition for a newbie meal. The creatures are even easy for a newbie to kill.  

wrong.. those weigh 7.5 kgs.. when a newbie needs to learn the first rule if its not a farm animal run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  so no we don't want them lugging around a 7.5 kg animal on a stick. maybe a rat ways less but they are rare and sheeps/rams weigh a lot..but we should have mentoring when I started Wurm I went to the most remote sounding place Vrock.. I went on my own and died a few times till my good friend found me and invited me slowly onto his deed he answered questions politely and tried to explain what the wiki was and answered what he could.. he took me under his wing so to speak and I think a lot of the new players need a mentor of sorts.. maybe nota village where they can assimilate but it would be helpful if our permission system allowed partial access to our deeds where we could bring these newbs into the light.. I would hang around a starter deed a couple days a week while online and help out the newly teleported and I think it would work.. once they see what the purpose is to all this and theres a plan that they can create to give purpose to the struggle they might stick around.. makes the starter towns accessible or utilitarian to Wurmians that have so much game time where they can logoff there in beds and interact with the starter villages or deeds near the starter villages and teach these newbs a couple things .. get the spark alit show them why we like Wurm and how we started .. just like a kid learning from his parent .. it brinngs the community closer together and allows people to formulate an idea of what they want from the game.. without spinning their wheels with a million questions when all they want is to eat.. or build a house or sail a boat.. I have mentored 25 people in my time in Wurm each in varyinmg degrees and each person will decide what he/she wants to do and they will need a little help to do it.. and I must say I don't have a huge friends list but I know that half odf those people if not more are stil playing to some degree or another... give them time to catch the bug and then go with it take off the training wheels and watch them fly away..and I think many of you have a similar story of somebody that taught you some stuff and here you are years later..anyhow Happy Wurmin... and I think I am gonna move back to the starter deed this week pitch a tent  and help out a few newbs this week.. why not its a player run game..

Edited by psisimian

They dont need to lug the pig around. They can leave it on the spit, in the campfire, and go back to it when they are hungry.

Now if they want to go exploring, they can find another corpse, or forage. No one said it was going to be easy at first, but it is possible to feed oneself when new without issues. But if you are expecting the newbie to explore all of Xanadu on their first day out of the portal, then we will have to do more than just solve their food problem.

• Like 1

do you know how long it takes to fill up on a ram or rat stake.. it takes 3minutes and probably more for newbs as my hot food cooking is not at 1 or 2 so lets say 4 minutes  to eat 4kgs of roast meat.. a lot can happen in 4 minutes.. maybe its been awhile since you've been a newb but up north here I just took a road trip.. now that's on roads.. I hit a creature not including farm animals every 50 feet...hell hounds which can own an experienced player since their upgrade and trolls and whatever else even wolves hit me more times than I hit them and my fighting is 35 for my new toon..I heard its even worse on the smaller freedom isles .. maybe south Xanadu is better but up here you have to run and keep moving till you find safe zones.. I was travelling in a  cart with 6 mobs on me at all times.. times have changed since you were a newb... I am not trying to be rude but I just went through the newb experience a few months ago when someone took over my main and I am telling you its no picnic..i don't have all the answers but like people say theres a reason for the pottery dish you can make 30ql casseroles with 2 hot food cooking that'll fill you up faster than roasted sticks and meals just with lower nutrition.. but you'll get nmore nbang for your weight at 30ql.. and if you don;'t mind carrying around a frying pan and want the nutritional skill gain make meals of any kind.. they always give 70 nutrition if enuf is eaten..so try things out b4 you might give incorrect advice.. this game has changed in leaps and bound lately...and like I said I have helped many newbs and its merely preference give the m the tools and they'll do what makes the most sense to them.. we all have to tailor our playing styles to whats available to us..the pottery dish I believe gets teleported to the player on death or am I wrong??

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎18 at 2:26 AM, Nomadikhan said:

We also have to think how games have evolved,  Wurm fits in with games 20 years ago that were hard... most games today handhold you much more.  My daughter finds the new Mario games MUCH easier then the old ones so she is easily frustrated playing my NES.

true true all triple A games these days have arrows and maps and hints to point you in the write direction, Wurm offers a blank piece of paper and your choice of crayon or pen or pencil to make a beautiful picture.. its  old school creativity at its finest.. if we give to much it will be like paint by the numbers and all the different expressions will start to look a lot alike.. I would leave if this game became like all the others .. if Rolf can live with our population of good members then so can I..

2 hours ago, psisimian said:

do you know how long it takes to fill up on a ram or rat stake.. it takes 3minutes and probably more for newbs as my hot food cooking is not at 1 or 2 so lets say 4 minutes  to eat 4kgs of roast meat.. a lot can happen in 4 minutes.. maybe its been awhile since you've been a newb but up north here I just took a road trip.. now that's on roads.. I hit a creature not including farm animals every 50 feet...hell hounds which can own an experienced player since their upgrade and trolls and whatever else even wolves hit me more times than I hit them and my fighting is 35 for my new toon..I heard its even worse on the smaller freedom isles .. maybe south Xanadu is better but up here you have to run and keep moving till you find safe zones.. I was travelling in a  cart with 6 mobs on me at all times.. times have changed since you were a newb... I am not trying to be rude but I just went through the newb experience a few months ago when someone took over my main and I am telling you its no picnic..i don't have all the answers but like people say theres a reason for the pottery dish you can make 30ql casseroles with 2 hot food cooking that'll fill you up faster than roasted sticks and meals just with lower nutrition.. but you'll get nmore nbang for your weight at 30ql.. and if you don;'t mind carrying around a frying pan and want the nutritional skill gain make meals of any kind.. they always give 70 nutrition if enuf is eaten..so try things out b4 you might give incorrect advice.. this game has changed in leaps and bound lately...and like I said I have helped many newbs and its merely preference give the m the tools and they'll do what makes the most sense to them.. we all have to tailor our playing styles to whats available to us..the pottery dish I believe gets teleported to the player on death or am I wrong??

You are correct of course. But the issues you bring forward are not just feeding issues. You can send the new player a 99ql Bangers and Mash, and he will still die to Hellhounds and trolls and wolfs and spiders and all other bad things there.

During the first 24 hours a new player should stay close to the starter town where there are templars and the food refill person there. During this time, food shouldn't be an issue while he hacks some trees, and perhaps builds his first house to get started. Once you have four walls erected, you can easily cook a pig and take a moment to eat it.  Not to mention the fact that you have reduced hunger for the first 24 hours of game playtime... That usually translates to nearly a week of playing 3-5 hours a day, which is plenty of time to get settled.

No one is saying the game is easy, or that nothing should be done, but I disagree with adjusting the cooking feature since there are more than competent ways to feed oneself. Less than a month ago I started fresh on Epic, and with very little help I was able to get to where I am now. This leads me to believe that the problem is not the mechanics, but the lack of knowledge on the player's part. 

With proper guidance, good CA help, a proper tutorial and a good community, a new player can thrive on their own. Instead of having them make meals with a frying pan they likely do not have, remember that caseroles (1 meat + 1 mushroom for example) stews, or an animal on a spit may be a better way to go. Difficulty is lower and quality will be higher upon creation. Or tell them about the butcher knife. Imped to 10ql is possible as a beginner, and will allow more meat from butchering that the standard 1 meat from a carving knife or a sword.

Knowledge is power.

• Like 3

One point I haven't seen mentioned yet is the recent change to these early skills.

For most of the game's life, new players have been able to get berries and herbs of decent quality even with minimal skill. Within the last few months, these skills changed so that all of the obtained items have single-digit quality for new players. Most of them are 1 ql (and damaged), and very few are greater than 5 ql. The breakfasts and casseroles cooked from these fill less than 1% food, and with the recent massive cooking timer nerf, each meal may take up to 5 minutes to cook even from hot ingredients.

Those who are recalling their own new player experience have not had the misfortune of experiencing the recently changed conditions.

Edit: Another point I had intended to include: Before the 1.3 cooking update, casseroles had quality up to 2x the HFC skill, and stews had up to 3x skill. This no longer applies, and food ql is now capped at 1x skill. This hurts new players much more than it does experienced ones.

Edited by Planck
  • Like 4

The same annoying change which saw us not being able to get woad in any range apart from our actual skill level...

Risotto meals with rice and fish seemed to fill up the bars a few years ago, but I can see how the cooking update could perhaps have impacted that too.  One idea which could make things easier is perhaps requesting the devs to add a permanent yule table with food.  Noobies can fill up if they are close to spawn, and vets can get a welcome feed if they happen to pass that way.

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:02 PM, Fairyshine said:

One idea which could make things easier is perhaps requesting the devs to add a permanent yule table with food.

I agree with this. Every starter Village should have one of those (insert odd name can't remember) food tables permanently available. Glasshollow had one when it was being rebuilt but was removed later. It would be a nice perk to have for everyone passing through.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

julbord, which is a special type of Smörgåsbord.

Translation varies a bit between a cold table and a buffet. Julbord is the Christmas variant.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

julbord, which is a special type of Smörgåsbord.

Translation varies a bit between a cold table and a buffet. Julbord is the Christmas variant.

Or when a person such as myself attends such a buffet you call him a Fatlord

• Like 2

Just now, Angelklaine said:

Right there with you. I dont "attend" one. I get rolled in.

And rolled out on a stretcher.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ayes said:

I agree with this. Every starter Village should have one of those (insert odd name can't remember) food tables permanently available. Glasshollow had one when it was being rebuilt but was removed later. It would be a nice perk to have for everyone passing through.

=Ayes=

or lets use the bartender for 1c, enough to easy to get foraging and selling stuff for everyone. The npc dont have any use after run own of newbie buffs

• Like 1

Aye vets should be able to pay the bartender NPC, let alone having their own.

• Like 1

Can you seal a beer mug with a wax sealing kit and put it on a merchant? That would be so cool. Your own personal bartender.

Get drunk and he becomes your own personal babysitter.

Edited by Slickshot
too drunk to spell drunk properly