Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

When you were new: Wurmpedia

"Find on Wurmpedia"  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Did you use the "Find on Wurmpedia option" as a newbie?

• Yes, and I continue to use it
    • Yes, but it did not give enough information so I have stopped
    • No, I started with Wurmpedia.com and stuck with it
    • No, I did not even notice the option
  2. 2. Do you think editing the information to be more in depth would help?

• Yes, convenience is nice
    • No, Wurmpedia is available
    • No, nobody even looks at it

On 6/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, Forrest said:

I keep the forums and wurmpedia open at all times when i'm in-game.

Just need to hit alt-tab.

Provides much more in-depth information and links to related objects/items/skills on the website.

For example, I'm currently building a knarr.

On Wurmpedia, I can click through to each sub-item required to see how to make it.

This is how I always play, Wurm up, Wurmpedia up, and forums sometimes up. Will be very nice once wurmpedia is integrated in the new UI.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

I don't think it was called the 'Find on Wurmpedia' option back then. I can't recall what the old selection option used to say...but I did used to use it when I was a noob, and occasionally still do, but some of the pages are now broken/empty.

I used to use it to figure out when bushes/trees were up for harvesting regularly. You can still check most of your skills and it gives some old helpful advice about them/old information that may/may not be true anymore. Now it's got some weird character stuff (Like the image that was posted) thrown in too, because they are basically linking to the Wurmpedia web-pages that are actually up now, instead of the little in-game windows it used to lead to.

They also cracked down on who can edit them, as a lot of people used to edit the crud out of them and leave false/broken/wrong info. I do kind of wish they'd include a 'rumor' section on some of them because I've heard things over the years about some things that was in the 'unverified' section on things, but was never really dis-proven either.

I am curious how it will look/function with the new UI, but I'm not holding my breath waiting...

When I was new 5 seconds out of freedom market, I fell of a cliff and died :D

I have been looking everything up on th website iself multiple monitors helps a lot and I never realy liked the ingame option of wurmpedia but it comes in and handy when i'm playing on my laptop and dont wanne alt tab

Edited by shamflam

When you say "find on wurmpedia" option, are you specifically referring to the right click menu, at the bottom where it says that?  Or when you hit "h" and get a window to do a wurmpedia search?  I ask because I've found that you get different results with each option.  I personally do not use the option on the right click menu as I've always found it to be very lacking and limited. 

I do, however, use the "h" search window daily. Are people conflating the "h" option with the right click "find on" option? They're not the same.  In a lot of cases it's not as complete as going to wiki in the browser and I sometimes do have to do that, but for my typical daily activities it's faster and easier for me to do it in game than opening the browser externally.  And for most things it's been perfectly adequate for my needs.  Any improvements won't hurt my feelings a bit, of course.  :)

56 minutes ago, Amadee said:

When you say "find on wurmpedia" option, are you specifically referring to the right click menu, at the bottom where it says that?  Or when you hit "h" and get a window to do a wurmpedia search?  I ask because I've found that you get different results with each option.  I personally do not use the option on the right click menu as I've always found it to be very lacking and limited. 

I do, however, use the "h" search window daily. Are people conflating the "h" option with the right click "find on" option? They're not the same.  In a lot of cases it's not as complete as going to wiki in the browser and I sometimes do have to do that, but for my typical daily activities it's faster and easier for me to do it in game than opening the browser externally.  And for most things it's been perfectly adequate for my needs.  Any improvements won't hurt my feelings a bit, of course.  :)

I was referring to both thinking they were the same thing, lol this is news to me! I assumed the "find on" option took the tool you right click and searched it the same way using the "h" option would.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yiraia said:

I was referring to both thinking they were the same thing, lol this is news to me! I assumed the "find on" option took the tool you right click and searched it the same way using the "h" option would.

Try hitting h and typing in the window. You might find it's adequate for you until they work on it.  Like I said it's not as good as the browser wiki in some cases, but most of the time it's fine.  It's definitely better than the right click option. In fact sometimes you can do the right click and just get a page with the name and no info, yet you can type in the same thing with the h option and a whole page of stuff comes up.

I'm glad they're working on something to improve it though. The main problem I have with it is sometimes I don't type something in exactly right and have to try a couple different wordings. Some things will redirect, others won't.  Guess I'm just so used to it now that I mostly know which wording brings up what since I use it so much.  :)

I started Wurm nearly 12 years ago and still to this day refer to Wurmpedia for things. It's definitely better now than what it was then but improvements are always going to benefit everyone.

• Like 1

Back in my day see, only thing on there was how to make nails and campfires see.

• Like 1

pfft back in my day wurmpedia was in black and white, and it took a week for the page to download

• Like 1

I mainly use the Wurmpedia website and only open the browser when I need some detailed information. Also sometimes I click that info page thing on the bottom left of the crafting window and type in there when I might need to know some parts to start to create an object. Works well enough for me with no complaints, except maybe when new things get added to the game and are not updated into the online Wurmpedia.

=Ayes=