Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Gem Cutting

The current gems, or roughs, can keep their current usages.

Perhaps a subskill under masonry, akin to stonecutting. Use same chisel or multiple tools? Chisel, pelt, water, ....

Gem cutting would serve the purpose of enhancing the roughs gems in their ql, base value, and etc.

Successful attempt on say a diamond creates a faceted (different term?) diamond with higher stats. The exact boosts from a success would be skill dependent, hence higher skill means a better chance at high boosts. I'll leave exact numbers, formulas, and caps to the devs for balance reasons.

A fail could range from slight damage and a loss in actual gem ql to the gem being destroyed. Gem powder?

Thoughts. Comments.

• Like 1

+1

---edit

altho...wt* are these new faceted gems going to be used for?

Edited by Finnn

Same uses as the roughs... but with POWAH!!!

what powah?

I mean.. it's a nice idea.. but it's missing a reason for that gem evolution..

---edit 

@FlubbI'd start with the idea.. same person.. have both the priest and stone/gemcutter char.. and work it from there.. to make it still usable.. but not ...:ph34r:

Edited by Finnn

They would have "more power" by virtue of the QL gain Klaa mentioned in the OP, but what if my Gem is already (or nearly) 100QL? Those would be strangely left out if QL gain was everything to it.

"More power" could instead be a multiplier on the favor a priest draws from a cut gem. As of now they get up to twice the amount of favor stored, which is pretty buff already, but with this rework the factor could range from 1 to xxx(3, 4? I don't know honestly), with factor 1 being rough, unprocessed gems. (That is, rough gems only give back exactly as much power as was drawn.)

Another, more elaborate idea I'm just gonna throw in the room: Repairing. Instead of losing QL, gems could get damaged by usage to a degree that reflects the lost QL in loss of effective QL (Draw 10 stored points from a 50QL gem -> 20 damage, so that the gems effective QL is 40, which is pretty much what happens now)

The repairing mechanics would be similiar(but probably somewhat more punitive for balance reasons) to the normal repair, where a high skill is needed to retain the QL on similiar levels. This would make high QL gems very valuable in the hands of an able gem cutter as they would last a lot longer, while the degradation is pretty much the same when the gem owner has no skill to speak of. (And noone to do it for him. Gem maintenance could become a new service offered on the trade market)

Nice idea, could be also useful for jewelry smithing if it's gonna be extended in future. +1

Aye there's certainly little incentive to cut an upper 90s or 100ql rough, if cutting just enhances the ql.

There could be more perks, such as gaining more than one cut gem from a single rough or cut stone, depending on gem size, which is currently fixed. Increased difficulty and etc.

Cut stones holding more faith as mentioned is another possibility. Not to mention only drawing what favor one needs.

Edited by Klaa

So.. new way to generate gems and oversaturate the game with them further making them 2-3x. times more worthless?:unsure::wacko::blink:

---edit

20 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

+1
currently gems have very little use in the game, if you're not a priest.

yup.. I kind of 'suggested' to get gem statues into the game.. combining any kind of same type I guess... to cover current statue's weight with gems.. and make some weird.. shiny "disco-ball" that could trash tens to hundreds of gems to get a few of these around your deed.. Wile.. improving them.. costs more gems.. higher ql ones..:wub: gem sink and a half!

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

+1
currently gems have very little use in the game, if you're not a priest.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

+1 flashbacks from salemthegame, Miss cutting gems and trying to get something really nice

+1 New tool time! B)

Gem Chisel / cutter. even if gem cutting was just to improve the ql of the gems, awesome idea.

Maybe gems can be used in a similar fashion to runes but for jewelry, weapons and armour socketed into "buff" based on ql, type, faith stored and type of faith (ie what god) 

Edited by lawurm
  • Like 1

There is socketed jewelry from rifts, which use gems afaik. Granted haven't played with any.