I'd love to see plaster implemented, perhaps with a new vein type – limestone. Blue-sky thinking here, but maybe the limestone veins could be found within naturally occurring underground caverns (highly concentrated in specific regions).

Limestone shards would be ground up to make lime (like rock salt is made into salt), lime is heated in a kiln to make quicklime, then mixed with water to make plaster (natural substances).

Possible applications for plaster:

• Wall plastering – creates a smooth, perfect or near-perfect white finish on stone walls (any maybe ceilings?) using plaster, trowel and masonry skill. These white plastered walls would also serve as an ideal substrate for paint, as the colour of the paint won't be greyed out by pre-existing wall colour. Plastered walls could also pave the way for wallpapering, creating another use for papyrus-making skill and paper.
  • Metal-casting moulds – for making cast metal statues and perhaps other items (out of bronze, gold, etc.). Make a single-use mould from plaster, then pour liquid bronze, gold, or other metal into the mould, perhaps from a new furnace type – the cupola furnace. Mould-making would check stone-cutting skill, and casting would check metallurgy, with both results affecting the quality of the final statue. (Sidenote: please, please, please make statue appearance a reflection of quality. High-ql statues should look better!)

Other possible applications for lime/quicklime:

• Ingredient used in glazing pottery items to create more durable and colourful pottery items (requiring a kiln)
  • Alternative way of making mortar (lime + sand, instead of clay + sand)
  • Alternative way to make white paint (whitewash, anyone?)

Probably a few too many ideas for a single thread, but I can see a lot of potential in this and would love to hear what everyone else thinks. There must be loads of other applications for these materials that I haven't even thought of.

Edited by Gwyn
typo

Sounds good.

I find the marble bricks look like lime stone bricks ingame..

Marble slab walls be nice add.

Even some different colored granite or quartz .

Soap stone for statues or even in housing items , sinks , cooking stone , bath tub.

+1

if we had lapis lazuli, it'd be another way of making blue dye.
but a general +1

+1 i would love to have perfect background for painting walls without material texture interfering