Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Spells Scrolls

With the Almanac released I got to thinking; magic scrolls, it's time we had those.

There is a lot of contention over these as, if they were too easy to make, they would choke the remaining life out of priests.  But here is a thought:

Unique Blood + Special Paper dropped by rift mobs (and in reward pool) = Spell scroll (holding the writer's channeling skill like an almanac page does, writer chooses spell from their own collection)

Spell scrolls can be used once by non-priests (no favour cost, cast at stored channeling, 3x cast time), or Channeling skill/10 by priests (at full favour cost uses priest's channeling).

The idea here is that the rarity of the components is not too great as to render the creation pointless, but its great enough that the market (and battlefields) won't be filled with scrolls.

Optional Extra: Rare scrolls do not decay when used by priests (essentially giving that priest access to the spell permanently)

Optional Extra 2: Some spells that can only be found in rare scroll form added to various loot pools

• Like 2

I like the concept of scrolls usable by mere mortals who don't possess the magical knowledge, but imo using unique blood for it makes it indeed pretty pointless.

Btw for some spells there're runes now.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

I can really see these being useful, those annoying 1-2 tiles in your mine that need collapsing, but aren't worth the cost of getting a priest to come to you, that nice pony you just bred that has a lone bad trait, etc etc.

So long as theres a favor cost for the spell at some point and an ordinary scoll isn't permanent, I don't see a problem.

Just thought of another idea, instead of unique blood, what about using a gem with enough ql to store the favor needed to cast the spell + the special paper.

• Like 2

always a matter of which spells are being used... attacks spells or enchants too?

<snip new glasses needed> yah, restrictions might help </snip>

Now with a brand new spell book.

Edited by Odynn

As Zig said above, I sorta think Runes have already taken the place of "Scrolls" in the sense that they are portable spells for lay-people. Along the lines of your suggestion though, they could certainly add more spells to the list. I dont think it will detract from the usefulness of priests because only priests should be able to craft the runes. So if anything, priests are more useful as crafters of runes, a profitable religious item. And I very much like the idea of priests being crafters in that sense.

+1 million from me!

This is like player made relic and eventually turning priests into "fullstack-spellcasters", once you gather all spells. you're able to cast anything:huh:

On 5.6.2017. at 6:13 PM, Lei said:

because only priests should be able to craft the runes. 

So you should depriest, grind js,fc and stone cutting to 90ish and then reprist so you could make runes, as i doubt there are priests that have those skills currently. Yeah, great plan. I don't think priests should be only ones to craft runes and the above skills should stay related to runes.

Ah but champions can craft like anyone else.

**sniffs and wipes a tear of nostalgia**   Yes please.  I've always been in favor of spell scrolls. They have a special nostalgic place in my heart because my character in UO specialized in making and selling scrolls.

But aside from my personal nostalgia reasons, which only apply to me hehe, I do feel that it would be a benefit for Wurm priests and Wurmians in general.  As pointed out by others, there are many things people need or want a priestly spell for that are impractical or too expensive to hire a priest for.  If it were possible to simply buy a spell scroll for the job, I would bet dollars to donuts people would be buying them and priests would have a practical way to make money that wouldn't involve travel and in some cases risking life & limb getting to some places.  (I don't know about others, but my priest is a wuss who couldn't fight her way out of a wet paper bag).

I do think using unique blood would defeat the purpose of having scrolls in the first place. Or at least my perceived purpose. lol.   I don't think their making should be super easy but not super hard either.  And I definitely think only certain spells should be scroll-able. (is that a word?).  Strongwall, enchanted grass, & genesis come to mind as mentioned by others.

Anyway, big +1 to this idea.  :)

edit: scratch enchanted grass, that's med. lol

Edited by Amadee

I'm up for it though the "spells" currently in Wurm are actually clerical in nature. Sorcery is a whole another deal entirely; though, temp one off scrolls of those might be fun, come to think of it.

Personally the enchant scrolls should only work for their own followers, or non followers suffer a disadvantage. Kind of reminds me of people buying indulgences from the medieval Catholic church.

Also up for more uses to the writing system, and scroll cases.

Edited by Klaa

-1 it CANT work without a major overhaul of the whole religion/magic system.

Going to bump this one; it was a little controversial during the time of its original writing but I think now it might be seen a little more favourably.

Also, with regards to PvP balance; just stop scrolls from functioning at all on a PvP server.

Well I am agaisnt this for the Enchantings like WoA or CoC but would be great for the buffs like Oakshell or Frantic Charge to have acces to them as a non prist. Even if the Prist have to "prapere" them (beside maybe chest/rift loot as possible option to get them) I would be ok with it.

The cost have to be balanced. Magical ink out of Vasseld Gems powder maybe? Use the Alchemie skill a bit more and tie it to allredy excisting Prist mechanics. The Ink is the tool for cration and the parchment QL is the upper limit. The max Power of the spell it can hold is equal to the QL of the blank scroll (you still can roll lower with a prist cast but found Scrolls have Power=QL)

I think the rare creature blood is a bit to expnsiv this is why I have suggestet the powderd gems since I would like to have excess to some of the prist spells without a prist around a bit more casual but not make them obsolet. (Like your 3 times cast time is a good idea to make it not so effectiv in PvP)

If crafters can use scrolls to cast spells then priests should use scrolls to imp things.

And then you end up with ppl doing both casting and imping on one toon at which point why not just make all toons be able to do that and eliminate the need to do  the weird stuff with scrolls?\

My guess is that is economically viable for crafters and priests to stay separate because of premium revenue.

Sure one could argue that if they make an account sytem they could just make an account that is both priest and crafter cost double the premium price for a month.

I don't think this proposal makes priests redundant. If anything, it makes it easier for people to buy their services.

If a scroll can only be made by a priest, and it can only be used once, then effectively it's still priests that are casting all the spells. The spell just travels about for a while on a piece of scroll before taking effect.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:48 PM, Sheffie said:

If a scroll can only be made by a priest, and it can only be used once, then effectively it's still priests that are casting all the spells. The spell just travels about for a while on a piece of scroll before taking effect.

Pretty much this; it's rather like me mailing my tools to a smith to have them imped, rather than the smith having to travel to my place to imp my tools.

• Like 2

It would circumvent the risk of shattering items tho.

Priests would spam cast scrolls and then players will only use the scrolls on items in order to have the cast they want on expensive gear or even 1ql stuff.

So how about this: they let ppl have scroll spells but on attachment to an item the shatter chance is 50%.

How about the shatter chance is exactly the same as if the priest had cast the spell... which they did

20 hours ago, Cipacadrinho said:

It would circumvent the risk of shattering items tho.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:02 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Spell scrolls can be used once by non-priests (no favour cost, cast at stored channeling, 3x cast time), or Channeling skill/10 by priests (at full favour cost uses priest's channeling).

I.e. shatter risk is not circumvented?