Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Tree Collision, really?

4 minutes ago, Ayes said:

That would be even much worse since then any "creature" including passive ones could block your movement in a number of instances. No more passing through any aggressive mob, if blocked by it you would either have kill it or die. I agree that this is something that Devs could easily justify on the same basis as tree collision though. So perhaps someday this much worse situation will be thought of as a good idea as well and be added to the game. A few mobs spread across a 1 tile wide mine tunnel and ye shall not pass!

=Ayes=

You are speaking of a no-win situation really.  Whether they block you or they all attack at once from 1 tile, a mob is just plain bad news.  You've just presented another reason to not have tree collisions though, thanks.

Just now, Vroomfondel said:

You are speaking of a no-win situation really.  Whether they block you or they all attack at once from 1 tile, a mob is just plain bad news.  You've just presented another reason to not have tree collisions though, thanks.

Who is forcing you to run through a forest? Natural, "un-wurmified" land should be where the greatest challenges are, with no readily available ores, roads, guard towers, or wells. Riding horseback in a dense forest shouldn't be easy, road-making is important for transportation. And currently, wurm only has it so rodes provide direction rather than additional speed. (average speed)

Tree collisions are honestly not that bad anyway, I had played with them before and the solution was to walk on a rode... If you see monsters in the forest and you think you can't handle it, then don't go to it. If you can, then go kill it and get back on the rode. travelling through forests isn't exactly mandatory. If you find yourself traversing through a forest often then you are probably better off making a simple 1 tile road to get to your destination smoother. I will admit though, there should be a mov spd debuff for mobs traversing on tree tiles to make it fair.

• Like 1

Bring back tree collision, stop making Wurm easier.

The end.

• Like 2

On 13/6/2017 at 7:39 AM, Erevorn said:

The end.

I dont think it was taken out because of gameplay difficulty, but because of some bug in one of the updates.  I wasnt around when it happened, but that is what I heard.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:39 AM, Erevorn said:

The end.

Exactly, there should be collision for anything that has a physical form, including furniture. 

If this ever comes back we also need to have mobs also colliding with trees.

I can remember struggling to weave through a Chestnut forest when we still had this, while for the pack of trolls chasing it was as if the trees did not exist.

• Like 1

Here's one suggestion... Clear cutting! :ph34r:

• Like 1

The new olive trees are in on the unstable client, or so it looks to me :)  They look awesome!  These are all center planted.  Sorry for the low light.

86sBB3a.jpg

Personally my biggest concern with reactivation of the collision is critter leading.  I tend to stop leading critters when I barely clip a building in my village.  If trees have a similar issue, I fear I'll never be able to bring a critter home.  That being said, Olive trees do seem to have lost some weight in Unstable, and it might just be me, but it seems that Walnut and a couple of other trees have been hitting the treadmill at the gym too.  =)

Tree collision should be active. Yes, it's convenient to not run into trees, but, this game isn't about convenience, it's about immersion. 
Every significantly unrealistic aspect of the game, like walking through trees, reduces that level of immersion. imho

I support the return of tree collision.  I would ask that trees that grow to fill up a tile would not naturally plant themselves side by side.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Amadee said:

But it was no problem for the mobs. In fact they could hit me through the trees from the other side and I couldn't fight back

This would be bad. If mobs get to ghost through trees , attack us through trees, and we don't get the same benefit? My gorsh.. what is going on with this 'lets make Wurm harder' thing? So we can't even see the dumb mob. Can't attack it. Insanity. HOW in heck is this more realistic?

I like the 'tree collisions servers' idea. Let some servers remain no tree collisions. Or most servers remain w/ no tree collisions. Just try one server w/ tree collisions. See how many ppl stay on it.

All the pro 'tree collisions people should then go there. Enjoy their game.

In any event. I see the developers don't mind spending their time to make this hard game harder. Planning. Writing code. Posting updates. Since it really don't matter our opinions here. I'll stop.

19 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

This would be bad. If mobs get to ghost through trees , attack us through trees, and we don't get the same benefit? My gorsh.. what is going on with this 'lets make Wurm harder' thing? So we can't even see the dumb mob. Can't attack it. Insanity. HOW in heck is this more realistic?

You can see them through the trees, their red outline still shines through. You can target them, you can attack them.

In any event. I see the developers don't mind spending their time to make this hard game harder. Planning. Writing code. Posting updates. Since it really don't matter our opinions here. I'll stop.

Just for the note: turning off tree collisions was a workaround until some bugs got fixed. Was not supposed to be off for this long was not introduced as a feature. On the contrary, please add collision (all three axis) on furniture, would be great to put items on tables.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 5

No no no no... please, take it away, take it away...

I get that tree collision is useful when climbing mountains, but could we at least make it a setting that players could turn on or off? Or a player vote on this issue? Tree collision hasn't been back that long and it's already infuriating me. I just got stuck between two walls of maple hedges with trees in the middle, and had to cut down the trees to get out. This feature doesn't add anything to the game, except annoyance and frustration. If it really has to stay, at least give us the option to turn it on and off...

• Like 2

There is always gonna be something infuriating someone.

I suggest you adapt your design to this, that's how we did it in the old days.

Or prune your hedge or tree to get unstuck.

They grow back fortunately!

• Like 1

Idk why you think passing through trees is ok, i just don't get it. How did any of you survive pre-2015

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

And I don't see why anyone would think it's ok that the mobs can still pass through them while we cannot.  I just don't get it. 

That issue has not been addressed. It's on Budda's plate to be done "someday" when he has time to get back to it. 

I don't see why it would have been unreasonable to wait until that was addressed before adding this back.  Why is catering to some people's overblown desire for so-called realism in a fantasy game so important that it just had to be done now and never mind the problems it will cause for others?  Was the ability to pass through trees hindering anyone's game-play?  Was it causing problems for anyone and making them redesign their deeds, or adjust their game play?  Anyone getting stuck?  Could always walk around them if it was that important.  The only "problem" it cause for anyone was that it offended some people's delicate sensibilities of "realism."  In a fantasy game. lol

Bah, back to my coffee.

ps: As for me, yeah sure, I'll adjust.  I never go anywhere without my cart so I will not be going into any forests for any reason unless I clear cut a path through the trees. I don't fancy getting my cart stuck in some mess of trees where you can't see and the mobs are just ghosting right through them.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

I love when people say that something is fantasy, has dragons etc so can have people farting rainbows too. Come on, it's fantasy, it have dragons and stuff!. What realism?

I'd love a toggle, if you hit autorun and run in a straight line you'll bounce off most trees adding 0 difficulty or necessary "realism" and only annoyance/aggravation and unnecessary additional time to travel (because your speed bottoms out every tree you hit and when your horse goes 48 km/h you don't get time to turn)

But then you get to the trees like walnuts and get stuck in half of them because they are together so tightly which only adds the realism of defenestrating your keyboard

I made roads when we didn't have tree collision, don't need it now as a reason to make more roads, and certainly am not making 5000 roads just to be able to hunt in peace

• Like 1

Would defend tree collision, but why bother? It gonna stay anyway : )

Edited by Wilczan