Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Tree Collision, really?

I'm actually excited for tree collision (and those new olive trees!).  I'd love love love to have animal collision as well, especially when not being lead or hitched.  As it stands right now, the horses and things merging into one blob of animal is really annoying.  I know people complain about small things being damaging to their immersion, but this is a huge one.  Perhaps that will get added at the same time, especially if mobs and animals become subject to tree collision as well?

PhNeXd3BRVi4TgH176iKKg.png

I can't wait for this to be implemented again it was hella fun in WU, and def created a challenge. Some people want too much quality of life.. there are games like that already everywhere, they are called clicker games/idle games that practically play themselves.

Loving the new model for the tree!~

• Like 1

It's ok.. it's done..

No need to say.. 'hope carts could pass between the trees..', nope.. doubt that.. anyway.. more roads to be made, less foresty areas.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone doing the +1's log onto test server, find a horse then try riding around in those walnut/chestnut forests, then come back and edit your post to a -1  

=p

• Like 1

When I tried Wurm Unlimited, there was tree collision.  It was WONDERFUL.  It also was the beginnings of my hatred of chestnut trees.  Still on WO, I hate them passionately and lay waste to the chestnut forests I come across, beginning at my own deed.  Some trees are a pain. Others are easy to walk around.  That's what the real world is like too.  With the realism the developers take the time to add into the game, such as the higher chance to forage acorns near oak trees, and they do a fabulous job.  Living in a dense forest should make your deed harder to reach... so collision makes sense.

Once it's reintroduced, people will get used to it, just like they became accustomed to running through the trees when it was disabled to begin with.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Everyone doing the +1's log onto test server, find a horse then try riding around in those walnut/chestnut forests, then come back and edit your post to a -1  

=p

LUL, is it THAT BAD:wacko:

10 minutes ago, Seriphina said:

When I tried Wurm Unlimited, there was tree collision.  It was WONDERFUL.  It also was the beginnings of my hatred of chestnut trees.  Still on WO, I hate them passionately and lay waste to the chestnut forests I come across, beginning at my own deed.  Some trees are a pain. Others are easy to walk around.  That's what the real world is like too.  With the realism the developers take the time to add into the game, such as the higher chance to forage acorns near oak trees, and they do a fabulous job.  Living in a dense forest should make your deed harder to reach... so collision makes sense.

Once it's reintroduced, people will get used to it, just like they became accustomed to running through the trees when it was disabled to begin with.

"wonderful".. right<_<:lol::mellow::unsure::wacko:

while now I am able to go trough shortcuts(straight trough the forest that is also source for materials when needed, later I'll be forced to make another road and stick to it every time.. it cripples player's freedom to travel freely trough any slope that's already some limitation..

As I said.. it's set in stone.. it's going to be that way.. I'm not complaining to get things elsewhere.. just whining about the new-old limitation..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-1 please never add it back on pvp servers.

I don't see what value it adds, other than frustrating experienced players and causing newbies to die\get stuck when running from mobs.

Yup everyone missing the olden days can't possibly realize how bad it actually is, or maybe they never leave deed, I know some like that so it would not matter to them.

The starter town on test has a solid chestnut forest, so its easy to find something close by to get stuck in.

There is no afk riding if you have tree collision, they stop you dead in your tracks.

Tree's too close together, you not riding between them, don't even try walking.

The knuckles on my hands are in bad enough shape without having to add tree avoidance into the equation while riding, there is enough things already to keep you constantly adjusting your ride direction.

Edited by JakeRivers

Played on WU for a bit and it made me miss tree collision very much. A big +1 from me for bringing back tree collision.

Aaaaah been waiting a while for a moment like this.....

You don't like tree collisions?  GIT GUD ^_^

Also, how in 9 hells does that "ruin immersion"?  If anything it adds way more immersion from being in an actual forest, not a cluster of holograms.  Yarr!

• Like 1

lol

**you see Amadee sitting back patiently waiting for the reality (no pun intended) to set in and for people to start remembering why everyone hated it so much in the first place**

Thanks. I needed a good laugh today.  I'll try to restrain myself and not post "We told you so" when the hate threads and the remove-collision threads start popping up.  :)

Edited by Amadee

Again, we've stated several times that the issue of trees blocking you and stopping you dead in your tracks will be looked at, saroman has already shown a thinner olive trunk to help with that.

If you are using the "i get stuck and blocked when moving" argument, please understand that that is what we are working on eliminating prior to this returning. 

• Like 3

Tree colission MUST come back, it makes wurm very fun. I remember my friends making all islands impossible to travel by planting trees everywhere while i was sanding the mainland with other friends.

This was a great time in my gaming life 

15 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

Played on WU for a bit and it made me miss tree collision very much.

The standard for WU servers is that Tree Collision is ON. Only servers or individuals with the mod have it off. The WU servers that I play on all have it on, so I am quite recently familiar with its problematic effects, although it seems you have forgotten them.

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Again, we've stated several times that the issue of trees blocking you and stopping you dead in your tracks will be looked at, saroman has already shown a thinner olive trunk to help with that.

Thinner trunks or reduced collision radius on trees will help somewhat but remember that trees in the wild grow at random spots on the tile. This means that sometimes currently even trees with the thinner trunks will grow right against each other and when you hit these you will be stopped thus exacerbating this tree collision return problem. Not really a viable solution with much impact other than for those trees specified to make passage only as difficult as the other trees.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Oh I have a viable solution for when trees grow close to each other and block off two half-tiles... 

Humans' eyesight + WASD.

For AFK travel there's teleporting ships.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Amadee said:

lol

**you see Amadee sitting back patiently waiting for the reality (no pun intended) to set in and for people to start remembering why everyone hated it so much in the first place**

Thanks. I needed a good laugh today.  I'll try to restrain myself and not post "We told you so" when the hate threads and the remove-collision threads start popping up.  :)

That only counts if that thread is started by someone who +1'd here though :P  A -1 doing a remove-collision thread would be cheating, imho.

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

The standard for WU servers is that Tree Collision is ON. Only servers or individuals with the mod have it off. The WU servers that I play on all have it on, so I am quite recently familiar with its problematic effects, although it seems you have forgotten them.

=Ayes=

I have recent familiarity with tree collision as well, my main toon gets outside in real life daily...weekly... whenever Wurm is down. ^_^

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If you are using the "i get stuck and blocked when moving" argument, please understand that that is what we are working on eliminating prior to this returning. 

Not just this. This will help, yes, and thanks to Saroman for the new models on olive, they look great.  There are others, as I'm sure they're aware and probably working on. :)

There's also the issue of mobs not being subject to the same restrictions. Being able to run in a straight line vs our zig-zag obstacle course, combined with their ability to hit us through the obstacles from 2 tiles away while we are hindered. It will affect a newbie's ability to run away while continuously getting hit and getting slowed with each hit.  For those of us who don't need to run (now), we will have to maneuver around the obstacles to get to the mob to fight back (or just start trying to run away instead of fighting), while they have no such impediment, getting hit in the meantime.  I really hope this is going to be addressed as well, before this goes back into the game.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

-1, No, no , no, hell no.  Unless you are going to make all creatures also collide with trees, and collide with each other to end crowding on tiles, just leave it as is.  No sense making us go around trees the creatures can go right through and catch up to us.  The only benefit it had before was climbing hills, and that was iffy at best.  Reducing the diameter of the trees won't fix everything, as I also don't want to be limited again to taking a cart into the woods because the wagon won't fit between the trees.  Most players are happier now without tree collision, why pour yellow potion on their cereal?

• Like 5

+1  When I started laying ther was tree collision, and after I took a break, when I came back it was gone, and I inmediately missed. It felt horrible to have those ghost trees. I cant wait for collision to come back!

• Like 2

Creatures having collisions ain't a bad idea to be honest.

grr realism in a realism based game grr

grr "uses example involving spells and dragons to debunk this but that's the one thing in the game that's not realistic based" grr

lol:lol:

(don't mind me.. just thought of some of the things you did not mention there)

+1 to bring back tree collision  this can be more realistic

15 hours ago, Mordraug said:

Creatures having collisions ain't a bad idea to be honest.

That would be even much worse since then any "creature" including passive ones could block your movement in a number of instances. No more passing through any aggressive mob, if blocked by it you would either have kill it or die. I agree that this is something that Devs could easily justify on the same basis as tree collision though. So perhaps someday this much worse situation will be thought of as a good idea as well and be added to the game. A few mobs spread across a 1 tile wide mine tunnel and ye shall not pass!

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes