Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Tree Collision, really?

I truly hope tree collisions do not make their way back into the game.  I enjoy hunting in the olive forest, not playing pinball with my horse.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pingpong said:

So based on the varied responses here, it got me to thinking, maybe wurm needs servers with and without the tree collision. It will be the new epic/freedom tough man of wurm debate :P

Cool.  I vote they leave it off Xanadu.  :)

-1 to tree collision, just another thing we really don't need

• Like 1

I'm also with the -1 crowd, hate this idea and the teams attitude to our horror of this idea. If we absolutely have to have this pls delay till we can get rid of all trees on every server which is what I'll be doing when and/ or if this is introduced :)

• Like 1

I want it back actually, game is to easy atm. Long are the days picking olives in the olive forest and getting outnumbered by mobs. Those are some of the best moments I've ever had in this game early on. 

I must admit it didn't bother me when I first started playing but back then trees weren't packed so tightly together. Please remedy this before enabling collisions again

• Like 1

Given that my forest is primarily maple, walnut, chestnut and Linden I would not be happy to see chestnut or walnut get a killzone.

I quite liked tree collision, it made dense forests places from which monsters emerged.

Though, if bought back, priests will need a way to remove trees without going unfaithful.

• Like 1

+1 for tree collision, it only makes sense. We dont walk through solid walls either. No developper would ever consider walkthrough solid objects not a bug or design flaw. And for once it is good they consider this a temporary necessary evil.

also +1 for trees not using bordering tile corners.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chlodovech said:

We dont walk through solid walls either

So our animals we are leading should go back to not walking through solid fences and get stuck instead?  We also walk through low things like low hedges, one can assume for immersion that we are stepping over them.  One can also assume that when we walk or ride through trees we are simply just going around them, we just didn't see it though

If the big trees are really getting a smaller collision box or something to not block paths, then what even is the point other than being a nuisance?  I get some people want to climb with trees.. but these are the days we have so many ways to climb without a headache.  Goat shape cast and runes, refresh cast and runes, endurance sandwiches, wine...

• Like 7

I already did a -1 in the other thread but since it's not an "if" but a "when", how about trees growing naturally kill whatever tree is next to corner they are growing on? So a center tree could grow next to another center or a tree on the far corner of the adjacent tile. At least for the really wide trees like chestnut, olive and walnut. Pine and cedar and birch aren't really a problem.

36 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

I already did a -1 in the other thread but since it's not an "if" but a "when", how about trees growing naturally kill whatever tree is next to corner they are growing on? So a center tree could grow next to another center or a tree on the far corner of the adjacent tile. At least for the really wide trees like chestnut, olive and walnut. Pine and cedar and birch aren't really a problem.

If you carry that out further than those two tiles though, it seems like that would lead to pretty sparse forests wouldn't it?

I always figured it was coming back since they said it was coming back.  I do think walking and riding through trees is awfully silly.  We'll soon have player-protected highways out there, and an impassible forest adds value to a highway/road/path system imho.  Could even be a lawn path as that would stop trees from growing.

I'll probably find myself chased by trolls, hell hounds and spiders only to get stuck against some trees at some point... but as frustrating as that might be at the moment it happens, it does kinda make sense to me.  The way things are now, I never have to give the wildlife a second thought.  I no longer scour the horizon for the elusive croc.  It just seems like there is less to the game without tree collision from a survival/adrenaline standpoint.

What I find way more annoying is that my horse can't climb an ant hill.  What's up with that?

• Like 1

The removal of tree collision was one of the best additions to the game, would be sad to see it going in the wrong direction again.

• Like 2

Just go play on WU for a week and you will get used to it again.  It isn't a big deal folks.  Maybe we should walk through walls too?

• Like 1

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but belittling us by making an absurd comparison to another game function that has to do with safety and personal space to make our quest for Quality of Life in the game seem like small potatoes is taking it a bit too far.

To me tree collision is a big deal, especially now with all the new tree kinds that are huge and bulky. It was bad enough before with olive trees and it's even worse now with more tree kinds and increased usage of carts and wagons. If you feel so strongly about tree collision for immersion you can walk around the trees consciously while you play while we walk through them, that way we both get what we want with no need for arguing about it.

• Like 6

Tree collision is an annoying way to make a game that is sometimes slightly annoying (yet some of us persevere) even more annoying.  How will the game possibly be more fun if it gets in?  No way, I would say. 

• Like 4

Game is already easy enough, I don't understand why some folks are so annoyed by a little challenge getting added  again. Like some stated.. want to walk through walls too?

• Like 1

The one have NOTHING to do with the other, 'nice' comparison tho (it's just a QoL which is else annoying to deal with... animals run trough forests, climb mountains, 90° angle slopes, what's a few trees to ride trough...

Makes it easier to do all kinds of glass/tree tile actions or drive/ride trough while hunting.

This is obviously in suggestions and doesn't matter much.. we're just voicing what we like, problem?

• Like 1

My memory is faulty going that far back, I imagine I could check on the test server, but when tree collision was a thing, could you still just click on the tile to target the tree, or did you have to actually target the tree itself.

I think targeting the tile works.

--edit

also.. I think only 'tree' that needs targeting is the stump of a chopped one.. if you want to bash it, else you're able to just replant a new tree on the same tile, haven't tried with flowers or bushes)

Edited by Finnn

4 hours ago, Aeris said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but belittling us by making an absurd comparison to another game function that has to do with safety and personal space to make our quest for Quality of Life in the game seem like small potatoes is taking it a bit too far.

To me tree collision is a big deal, especially now with all the new tree kinds that are huge and bulky. It was bad enough before with olive trees and it's even worse now with more tree kinds and increased usage of carts and wagons. If you feel so strongly about tree collision for immersion you can walk around the trees consciously while you play while we walk through them, that way we both get what we want with no need for arguing about it.

Can you believe I still do that out of habit sometimes?  Other times I just can't bring myself to ride through a tree.  I'm not a ghost, or at least would not want to be one.

It's never really been an "addition" to the game, in the sense that it was never planned out or purposely added to the design.  I forget exactly what happened but there was a programmatic reason for shutting it off, iirc.

Having said that, I believe flat raising was also not purposely put into game but kept because it's just so cool... so there is precedent, kind of. 

I get the safety part, but I think that's a reason to bring it back for some folks.  A wee bit too safe out there for a Player versus Environment for some folks.

It's been an exceedingly long time since I had to bother looking at a map to make sure I knew I'd be on a safe road the whole way to my destination.  That extra bit of excitement did add to the game, imho.

Now, no worries, just bust through.  Only slight worry might be a hill.  That doesn't feel like adding something to the game, to me.

Gotta love it when people look back fondly on a major pain in the rear mechanic through rose tinted glasses.  My memories of that "feature" have no such rosy tint.  I recall one particular incident, (not fondly) getting chased as a newbie while trying to pick olives and the stupid olive trees were forming a brick wall, or it's equivalent. But it was no problem for the mobs. In fact they could hit me through the trees from the other side and I couldn't fight back.  I was not amused.  And even if they fix that, it will still be a pain in the rear, in my opinion. I don't even want to think about getting lost in a fir forest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I get the safety part, but I think that's a reason to bring it back for some folks.  A wee bit too safe out there for a Player versus Environment for some folks.

The "safety part" had nothing to do with the tree collision, it was in reference to walls being compared to tree collisions in an absurd argumentation technique. The walls are what bring safety, the tree collision staying out of the game was a QoL request in my post. And ease up on the whole "some folks" mentality when you're off arguing about the wrong thing.

Edit: Not intended as an abrasive comment by the way, but the whole comparing apples to oranges thing is getting a bit ridiculous even without anyone getting the two confused.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 2

The real issue here is the 3 trees listed, I'm sure nobody here has objected to any of the others getting it back. So IF tree collision were to make a return and a change to the model/collision box of these 3 trees was included, I believe the happy middleground for everyone could be found.

P.S. As someone that has lived on a place that had an olive orchard, the ingame model is very wrong, the trees of very old/overaged/shriveled have trunks way out of proportion. They look like olive trees that are several hundred years old.

Edited by Trooper
  • Like 1

i don't miss it, don't remember it enough to know if i will enjoy it being back, especially with the new tree types.

I do remember olive trees were painful to navigate and are largely responsible for not having the letters a, s, d, visible on my keyboard anymore....

• Like 3