Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Highway Protection system

5 hours ago, Fraeya said:

After just completing my highway and getting set to use cat's eyes I'm faced with a problem. As eyes mentioned any form of road through a deed must be at least 2 tiles wide in it's entirety, which ruins any form of tree decoration down the centre line of any highways, it also ruins any preexisting cave entrances that were 1 tile wide spaced with 1 tile between

*edit* also does not work with curbs surrounding central tile decorations at all

@Retrograde@BuddaCan we get some sort of fix so that avenues with trees, bushes or curbs along the centre tiles can still function under the highway system

For curbs I think you can still plant a eye using a keybind, 'secure', for boulevards you may want to do what I did, add a gravel shoulder on one side of the road like so: 

GUeoDpj.jpg

For the mine you have no choice but to loose a mine door and do a 2 wide entrance if you want a highway to pass through the mine.

• Like 1

Jakes seems to be the easiest way around it, might not be what you want to see, but it works.

Edited by Talohan
missed Jakes post before posting

19 hours ago, Fraeya said:

As eyes mentioned

Yes, my eyes are on you and you see the point but the name is Ayes, says I. See?

And another thing. I don't think this new Catseye/Waypoint Highway system is going to be that widely used due to the fact that for the Catseyes to offer "official" and mechanical protection of Highways they must be connected to a deed tile with a Waypoint. If not they will decay away and not be GM recognized as offering Highway status.

With this in mind I see little point in putting them (Catseyes) on the Highways that both lead to and go around my deeds. I also note that way beyond my local area on Deliverance there are none to be found, or even any that have been connected to either side of the Green Dog Waypoints on the east and west sides of the new 3 tile highway that has been created through it.

The Catseyes should protect Highways and function on their own if they lead from one deed to the next under the same standards as the old Highway system. Then Waypoints on deeds with Catseyes running through them should be optional and just function as a directional system. Combining these two (Catseyes/Waypoints) into one system in order to function as Highways is I think a mistake since it only discourages the less industrious players from using them, as well as those who don't want to modify their deeds to accommodate them.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
another thing
  • Like 1

If it didnt start or end on a deed prior to the update it wasnt an eligible highway either, so it works the exact same, you can place a waystone on deed a, and link a highway to deed b with a waystone on deed b, it doesn't have to connect anywhere else, just start and finish on deed, just like it was in the past. 

Not every player will want a highway to their deed, and it is now mechanically possible for them to deny it, and allow them to use any system they like. Protected highways can always be built around these deeds

• Like 1

Could "lawn" be considered paved ground where it's in between normal pavements?
That way we could have 3-wide highways with trees in the middle line, maybe?

3 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Could "lawn" be considered paved ground where it's in between normal pavements?
That way we could have 3-wide highways with trees in the middle line, maybe?

Lawn naturally disappears, meaning it would become grass, so no. 

gravel does count, so you could outline the path with gravel

On 9/2/2017 at 6:59 PM, Fraeya said:

After just completing my highway and getting set to use cat's eyes I'm faced with a problem. As eyes mentioned any form of road through a deed must be at least 2 tiles wide in it's entirety, which ruins any form of tree decoration down the centre line of any highways, it also ruins any preexisting cave entrances that were 1 tile wide spaced with 1 tile between

*edit* also does not work with curbs surrounding central tile decorations at all

@Retrograde@BuddaCan we get some sort of fix so that avenues with trees, bushes or curbs along the centre tiles can still function under the highway system

may be make the restriction that the trees/grass in the centre has to be enchanted? .. give a use for enchanted oaks!

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

3 hours ago, JDBooker said:

may be make the restriction that the trees/grass in the centre has to be enchanted? .. give a use for enchanted oaks!

Enchanted oaks on lawns? :P

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

@RetrogradeCurrently I had an eligible tile that was made non eligible by curb around the central tile, i also have a section on my deed with an enchanted oak and a section on an allied deed with enchanted oaks all along the middle of the deed, both of these are not able to be connected now. So can we have less restrictions on what counts? If 3/4 tiles are correct and one is a tree  surrounded by curb could that work so we don't just all have plain boring highways to adhere to this new system but can decorate the central tiles? Perhaps even allow enchanted only to give some use back to that dead meditation power? Can we also find some sort of allowance for double cave entrances that are not connected as shown in the second picture?

B5lUVAt.jpg

Example of curbed enchanted oaks down a central boulevard

zFEwkW0.jpg

Exampe of decorated central tiles including a curbed off token and mailbox next to a curbed enchanted oak behind that is a curbed hota statue leading into 2 cave entrances that continue the highway.

and finally a question: If a highway leads to the edge of a deed and terminates at a waystone due to ineligibility and resumes at the other side from a new waystone leading onwards is it considered connected by the system? Can you find a route to a deed after the break? If not and you refuse to adapt the system to allow such decoration can you improvise a method that we can retain the link between waystones so people can use the find route system and not get blocked by deeds that require a break due to their paving decorations?

I'm not going to change my central token area by removing all decoration to accommodate this but I would like to use this new system, I'm sure a lot of other people have a similar situation that is putting them off using this

• Like 1

You will not like the idea but the connection can be made by a highway section going around the central part of the deed (or around the deed altogether). Like a speedway circumventing a city. Still a junction can be terminated at the deed to get it on the findroute system.

Well in the case of the second picture that's like a 300+ long tunnel connecting to the mainland there is no option to circumvent that area other than just not do it, my point being Jaz this system should be improved to work with existing roadways not a reason to destroy everything unique and make it all uniform to follow set parameters

• Like 1

I agree on that - that is why I told you will not accept the solution :) It iw always good to have variability. I wonder that the specific issue could be solved if two parallel roads a tile apart could be considered as a highway. There are many roads with decoration in the middle tile and they are very pleasing to the eye, I hope there will be a solution that would preserve them.

• Like 1

The original highway system had a very specific rule that tree's planted down the center invalidated the highway as being a highway, I can't see any reason to change that, myself on my own deed I prefer the boulevard and only added the gravel should on the part leading up to my deed, after that its gated and no public access anyways.

Why anyone creates lawn is beyond me, its the most worthless tile in wurm. =p

As for curbs does the 'secure' keybind not work? They are considered fences so perhaps this is why it will not work, I know you can not create a curb on a highway off deed on freedom.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

The original highway system had a very specific rule that tree's planted down the center invalidated the highway as being a highway, I can't see any reason to change that.

Why not? In a game where creativity is key limiting a certain feature to a specific method is questionable, aren't we supposed to encourage creativity in a sandbox? If anything now would be the perfect time to change aged rules

As for curbs does the 'secure' keybind not work? They are considered fences so perhaps this is why it will not work, I know you can not create a curb on a highway off deed on freedom.

Curbs without a feature are very limited in number so I didn't try that

@Tichwas wondering if a underground highway is protected from collapsing rock tiles if there is no reinforcements on the walls on either side

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

@Tichwas wondering if a underground highway is protected from collapsing rock tiles if there is no reinforcements on the walls on either side

Now... that is a really neat question. I'm really curious. I've thoroughly confirmed that in a non-highway tunnel the reinforced floors (wall not reinforced) do not prevent the collapses.

i wonder that too, so far i can says blessed lamps planted on highways that are protected turn off at day and light when night... no decay and works same as on deed... didnt try bashing jet but heh

On 6/7/2017 at 5:00 AM, Ayes said:

Better that they be secured/planted by the individual because then only they or a GM can remove them and alter they highway.

Being "first" really shouldn't matter that much.  If anything, the nearest connected deeds to a given section of highway should have an easier time making changes.  Possibly next most important would be someone who has crossed over that section of road 15 out of the last 30 days.  I'd expect an avid road builder to move to Xanadu once their starting server is all built up (nothing left for them to do otherwise). 

On 9/4/2017 at 1:39 AM, Retrograde said:

If it didnt start or end on a deed prior to the update it wasnt an eligible highway either, so it works the exact same, you can place a waystone on deed a, and link a highway to deed b with a waystone on deed b, it doesn't have to connect anywhere else, just start and finish on deed, just like it was in the past. 

Not every player will want a highway to their deed, and it is now mechanically possible for them to deny it, and allow them to use any system they like. Protected highways can always be built around these deeds

So this means if we do not make our on deed roads highways with the new system we are able to do as we wish with the roads with in our deed?? Gates  and such?

I hadn't read up on the highway system until now... when I heard 'routing to deeds' I had visions of auto pilot for carts/wagons... that would have been awesome!!!

Sigh... but now I still have to stay awake while traveling. .. drat!

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Lolabelle said:

So this means if we do not make our on deed roads highways with the new system we are able to do as we wish with the roads with in our deed?? Gates  and such?

I learned this watching the GM"s deal with not so nice neighbor (read "troll") back in 2013.  The GM's back then made the kid put in a two wide highway bypass around his village before they would let him block off the existing highway and deny folks the right to use the old highway.

..... so what you do on your own deed is your own business, but you can't not block a highway that connects existing deeds.

Now if you do Not have a highway passing through your deed, then there is not a problem to start with.

IF I doubt, ask in CA Help or put in a Support ticket to the GM's, Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers!

Hughmongus

I don't think they can force you to catseye a road on your deed if you did not wish it, and most likely fall to someone else to build a bypass around same deed.

Some people do not want to give up the right to kos someone, but if you already have a public road through your deed you would not be allowed to kos someone as it is with the old highway rules.

But they updated the definition of a highway.  So doesn't that mean that folks can just get rid of roads they don't want now?