Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Highway Protection system

Or simply have guards not be able to path onto protected highway tiles (as a destination, but path through them to cross the road), but leave KoS otherwise enabled?

32 minutes ago, Xallo said:

Then, just implement a warning feature while in perimeter, and the problem should be solved.

unless this is different on pve, it already exists.  "you now enter the hostile perimeter of blabla" appears in orange when you enter a perimeter of a deed you're kos at

• Like 1

On freedom a warning is given that you have entered a hostile perimeter on the second inside perimeter tile, upon reaching the deed itself the gates go on lockdown.

With the change in slope limitations for catseyes, should this existing highway stop working or does the code just prevent new steep slope highways from being made? 

This is a failed mine entrance on Gertrudes Mystery:

Spoiler

WDa2Pdg.jpg

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

With the change in slope limitations for catseyes, should this existing highway stop working or does the code just prevent new steep slope highways from being made? 

This is a failed mine entrance on Gertrudes Mystery:

Reveal hidden contents

Because this is the test server and lots of things change between starting a feature and finishing one, you may see odd legacy things dotting the lands.  When we first started bridges, you'd see bridges connecting nothing at all, just hanging in mid air.  Code changes prevent things from happening again, but they don't remove what has already happened.

So, the answer to your question is, that highway is illegal now and could never be made again, so there is no code to check for that and remove the highway.

You can remove your catseyes, fix up your entrance, then rebuild your highway with the proper slopes.  Or place a sign near there saying "you cannot do this anymore!'  so that others are not confused.

• Like 1

I did try to repeat it and it seems to work with only 20 or under slope now, it can be a legacy.

I would like a bunch of older catseyes removed though, they are in the way of progress and take to much to remove off deed, really are miserable to remove on deed as it is.

On the testserver at Gertrudes Mystery it will not allow me to plan a bridge with a under construction highway above the mine.

rSs3Wg6.jpg

Also can no longer plan bridges above ground overtop existing highway, hope this is temporary.

they did a fix abit ago, so might be working now.

It looks to be working now - at least with this bridge...

This is planning a bridge over an existing highway, above ground...

Edited by Wulfmaer

It was a unrelated bug with the bridges.

When picking a route I would like to see something like, 

Route to 'So and So' found, rather than Route found.

Would be nice to see the list of villages in alphabetical order rather than the willy nilly order they currently appear in.

I'd like to see the option to sort by name but else have them listed in order of proximity.

2 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I'd like to see the option to sort by name but else have them listed in order of proximity.

Maybe 2 sort options, one by distance and another by alphabetical order.

Rather than having the list, and typing separate it would be good if as you started typing it acted as a filter on the list.

2 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

Rather than having the list, and typing separate it would be good if as you started typing it acted as a filter on the list.

Not all villages have to opt-in to being added to the list.

For example, I can own village STAY OUT and opt-out of being on the route list.  However, if I want to lure someone to my deed, I can tell them to type in the name STAY OUT and they will get directions if my village is on the highway route they are using.

• Like 2

All the details I've see, including a screenshot of the deed permissions from Retro, have just one setting. Your deed is either on the route list, or it is not. If it is not the wording implies that typing the name in will get you nowhere, as the setting removes the deed from the possible places to route to.

InTUFD2bT6akb6yBIkqlTQ.png

Edited by Wulfmaer

37 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

All the details I've see, including a screenshot of the deed permissions from Retro, have just one setting. Your deed is either on the route list, or it is not. If it is not the wording implies that typing the name in will get you nowhere, as the setting removes the deed from the possible places to route to.

InTUFD2bT6akb6yBIkqlTQ.png

You can put a check in Allow Highways - which will allow a highway through your deed.

You can leave Highway Routing unticked - which means even though the highway goes through your deed, it will NOT be on the route listing.  Even though your deed will not be on the list, someone can type the name of the deed and get directions.  So it's the village's choice to be on the 'map' or not so to speak.

7 hours ago, Alectrys said:

You can leave Highway Routing unticked - which means even though the highway goes through your deed, it will NOT be on the route listing.

That is not what it says. It says that if you want people to be able to route to your deed you should tick that option, and that if it is unchecked that it will NOT be possible to find a route to your village period.

The 'Allow Highways' says that option is about being able to 'make' a highway - do I want to restrict it to myself the mayor, or do I want to let my citizens make the highway to my village. It does NOT say anything about routing, so ticking it or not should have NO effect on routing.

The original document says that the list has all villages that have opted-in to the highway system. There is nothing to indicate that it is possible opt into the highway system but not appear in the list of all villages.

8 hours ago, Alectrys said:

You can leave Highway Routing unticked - which means even though the highway goes through your deed, it will NOT be on the route listing.  Even though your deed will not be on the list, someone can type the name of the deed and get directions.  So it's the village's choice to be on the 'map' or not so to speak.

That is NOT what that option say. It makes no mention of the list, which the original document says is a list of deeds that have opted in, just if it would be possible to find a route, or not. So, having it unchecked, not opting in, would prevent a route being found, even if the village is on a highway and even if you specified the deed by typing it in.

If nothing else if what you describe is implemented then the wording is not clear, so the wording of the options needs to be reviewed against what is actually implemented in the code.

Thanks for that, we'll improve the wording on that to make more sense

the opt in is to show in the dropdown, if your village is connected to the same highway system, it can always be found by typing the exact name in.

• Like 1

Thanks Retro, hopefully that will save some confusion once the system goes live.

I wonder if then, there is a need for being able to opt out of not just the list, but also being able find a route to a deed, by typing the name in? The only case, I think, this might be needed is if by a quirk of history a deed that includes a highway junction, and the deed owner does not want to be found by the routing system. So, it needs a waystone for the junction to work - but that would make them findable by typing the deed name in.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:48 AM, Wulfmaer said:

So, it needs a waystone for the junction to work - but that would make them findable by typing the deed name in.

It seems simple enough.  If you absolutely don't want your deed to be "findable" don't put any waystones in it.  (so: listed, type in, not attached) 3 levels to how hidden your village is. 

And if you want the best of both worlds, KOS + full listed connection, I suppose you can always use 2 deeds.  Kind of like the entryway in the movie Accepted.  (plus with this update, the "road" connecting your deeds can be 2 or 3 lane with impunity)

Edited by Belgrim
added extra note.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, Retrograde said:

Thanks for that, we'll improve the wording on that to make more sense

Here is something that is not clear to me. I have a two tile highway that runs between 2 deeds. When it hits the deed tile borders of each it narrows to a 1 tile road that runs through the deeds. This means if I put down catseyes they must end on the last perimeter tile closest to the deed tile. Do I instead need to put a Waypoint marker on these ends of the catseye runs in order for these catseyes be the active glowing green color? This means that the Waypoints would also not be on deed tiles. Or is it not necessary to have Waypoints on these last perimeter tiles to have the catseyes the active green color?

=Ayes=

If it runs just between two deeds and nowhere else, and the highway technicaly ends off deed, then placing waypoints and catseyes wont help, waystones decay if only connected to one route, so you'd have protection for a while but they would eventually decay. 

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If it runs just between two deeds and nowhere else, and the highway technicaly ends off deed, then placing waypoints and catseyes wont help, waystones decay if only connected to one route, so you'd have protection for a while but they would eventually decay. 

This is very problematic. Previously Highway Rules stated that a "Highway" was considered one when it went from 1 deed border to another deed border and it was not necessary for the Highway to enter onto a deed tile. This enabled players to prevent Highways from entering their deeds and they could then either lock players out of their deed with gates/buildings or set the gates/buildings to allow players to enter their deeds. Then they could just build a one tile road on through their deeds.

Now with this new Catseye/Waypoint Highway Rule players must bash down their fence gate, or worse yet bash down the front section of their multistory building, in order to widen the one tile road another tile into the deed so they can put a Waypoint inside their deed on that two tile wide section. That is if I am understanding your response correctly you are basically stating that this Catseye/Waypoint system *must* start/end on a deed tile, whereas previously there was no requirement to do so. I wonder how many players realize that this will create a problem for them.

This is a major change in how Highways could end just outside a deed tile, which makes this Catseye/Waypoint system useless to me since I have entry buildings on each side of one deed and two sides of another deed, which I am not about to bash partially down and redesign just to adapt to this new "Highway" system.

=Ayes=

After just completing my highway and getting set to use cat's eyes I'm faced with a problem. As eyes mentioned any form of road through a deed must be at least 2 tiles wide in it's entirety, which ruins any form of tree decoration down the centre line of any highways, it also ruins any preexisting cave entrances that were 1 tile wide spaced with 1 tile between

*edit* also does not work with curbs surrounding central tile decorations at all

@Retrograde@BuddaCan we get some sort of fix so that avenues with trees, bushes or curbs along the centre tiles can still function under the highway system

Edited by Fraeya
  • Like 1