Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Highway Protection system

you are testing on an active protected pavement? with a green catseye?

I could dig 20 slopes in protected pavement, could level, could start flattening but it would cancel with [18:46:04] Some corners can't be modified.

Yes protected area its just for destrojing pavement

I really think deeds that are a highway terminus need to be able to use the KOS feature on freedom.

• Like 2

You should now be able to flatten and level tiles (and tile borders) on paving

Slope checks (20 in straight direction and 28 diagonally) are only performed on/next to highways (e.g. on marker protected tiles).

Catseye colours...

Green - has 2 links and is part of a valid route.

Blue - has 2 links, used for under construction routes.

Red - has only one link - these should be only ones getting damage.

White - has no links or is not planted.

Question from clueless here , do you need catseye on every tile to make it safe?

Because if so there not very appealing looking ..

5 hours ago, Damascus said:

Question from clueless here , do you need catseye on every tile to make it safe?

Because if so there not very appealing looking ..

Typical protection from one marker;

WRf9dGQ.jpg

On 6/6/2017 at 9:45 AM, Yaga said:

As I see it, only few of the existing highways will meet the requirements (and, technically they may not even do so now), because to be considered a valid highway they have to connect at least 2 deeds. Experience shows, however, that most players are reluctant to extend their deeds over an existing highway, or let a highway run through their deeds!

Instead, what we usually see is that a deed will just barely touch a highway, so that existing highways come very close to a number of deeds but rarely ever run through them. (I know several examples of that on Deli.)xlqleOd.png

Thus, even under the current highway rules, some of our well used highways may not count as such, technically - and will not do so in the future if the current rules are applied. Maybe the rules should be extended in that highways are not required to run through a deed, but run "close to" adjacent deeds (whatever "close to" may mean ... a matter of definition, of course).

I think servers such as release that practice server wide kos of players will have very little valid highways with the new system, as a single marker on your deed prevents the ability of using the kos system.

Which will be a shame.

• Like 1

The doc

On 6/20/2017 at 0:02 PM, JakeRivers said:

I really think deeds that are a highway terminus need to be able to use the KOS feature on freedom.

According to the design doc, this is exactly how it should work. And the deed doesn't really need to be end of a highway, just a T junction rather than the highway going straight through the deed.

Edited by Kelody

43 minutes ago, Kelody said:

The doc

According to the design doc, this is exactly how it should work. And the deed doesn't really need to be end of a highway, just a T junction rather than the highway going straight through the deed.

So far it does not work as per the doc, the doc reads more like thoughts on how it could work and why it may not be done that way.

Document has been updated.

Currently KOS does NOT work if the highway is on deed or up to 2 tiles into perimeter from the deed. 

Trying to place a highway near a deed with an active KOS llisting will produce a warning to remove the KOS list first. 

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Document has been updated.

Currently KOS does NOT work if the highway is on deed or up to 2 tiles into perimeter from the deed. 

Trying to place a highway near a deed with an active KOS llisting will produce a warning to remove the KOS list first. 

Can the waystone to mark the deed just be the first few perimeter tiles to work?

• Like 2

I was curious about this line in the google doc;

Waystones have a minimum of 1 link and a maximum of 8 links, (although having 8 roads meeting at one point is probably a bit chaotic).

k9ROIG5.jpg

I like being able to paint the waypoints, but please allow the use of dyes rather than runes only, addy lumps should not be wasted on painting items and colors are so random.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Can the waystone to mark the deed just be the first few perimeter tiles to work?

+1

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:16 AM, Tich said:

You should now be able to flatten and level tiles (and tile borders) on paving

So these Catseyes do not really protect highways from being altered then if players can carelessly dig down the sides of them and mess them up. Poor protection then if you ask me, although you didn't. Also, those large signpost waypoint things are an eyesore with their large obtrusiveness in the centers of highways.

Not really impressed with this whole system setup. Guess I just ignore it like a few other WO "improvements". About the only good point I see is within Public Mines if they can prevent the careless or griefer types from mining the floors down but I am not too sure if they actually do that either.

=Ayes=

There's still the limitation of 20 slope per straight tiles and such, the system allows links to be connected, deeds opted in to be displayed for better travelling, and also blocks destruction of the paved tiles.

Tl;DR

This system allows improving of roads and slopes within acceptable limits without allowing destruction of them

Come on, don't tell us it is good that people can come and bump the road.

It's good that people can smooth out rough roads and improve them without having to remove the protection.

It's also limited to still being walkable, so potential griefing and highway destruction is minimised and limited to still needing to be passable terrain. 

Its catch 22, allow people to fix roads that are messed up or make it so no one can touch it, can't have both.

For the most part this system is good, as it will make it harder for someone to take out a highway on a whim, sure they can grief it, but that will have consequences, what it will do is make it very hard to remove entire sections of highways for someone that suddenly decided they wanted a deed in that location and the highway is in the way of there carrot patch.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Just because the GM team is dropping the highway rules because of this change, it does not mean we're dropping the Griefing rule at the same time (Play Nice or we WILL Rip Your Heart Out). If you're going around and pointlessly bump up roads, maybe you don't belong in wurm. Or rather, you really REALLY should have a good reason for doing what you're doing.

• Like 7

personaly i would think glass beads would make more sense than actual eyes (id eventually like glass windows etc.), basic glass it not too hightech as romans had it
and medieval glass would add more possibilities

we have basic components already for it  sand(silica), marble (limestone)

would idealy need a source of alumina

without researching actual process, beads would probably be something like

ingredients(in a crucible)  [heat]-> molten glass -> glass rods/tubes -> glass bead (improve beads ql by griding/polishing)(ql matter for cats eyes?)

and there are plenty of other interesting things could do with basic  glass

(personally for me i would probaly find making simple beads easier than hunting for eyes)

some other thoughts 

could roads have a reinforcement via usage mechanic, as you can track people, is it possible for roads to be harder to remove the more they are used, eyes/waystones count number of passers by

(the tracking might be interesting even without the reinforcement, if someone could create a way to graph it)

would require some balancing but for rarely used road could be realativly  easily altered where as a major route would be a lot harder to alter, especialy if there isn't an alterate route.

could have a proportional effort modifier, the bigger the change away from the road "average" the harder it is to do

Guess I don't get it, I mean it just adds such an overly complicated method to something that used to be as simple as packing dirt and dropping bricks. I mean reading through the manifest was equivalent to reading through a piece of legislation from the US House.

Additionally I am not sure who this update is for, granted there are some players not fitting this category, but most people live along coast lines where bulk goods are delivered via boat taking advantage of the server hopping system. Not to mention almost any item in the game can be mailed at this point.

I just do not understand who this update is for aside from an extremely small playerbase who want it because its just something new.

I find deliveries that don't require the bulk of a boat far easier on Indy via cart, and my cart goes faster. If you don't care about the protections or the deed marker system, the old method of road building still works just fine.

• Like 1

Any thoughts to using the perimeter of deeds for the waypoint marker, or allowing kos to work if the deed is a highway terminus?

On 7/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, JakeRivers said:

Any thoughts to using the perimeter of deeds for the waypoint marker, or allowing kos to work if the deed is a highway terminus?

This is also my concern. If you want KoS to work on the deed, as it stands, you need to stop the highway 2 tiles into your perimeter. This will leave anywhere from 3 tiles, to many more (if you have a big perimeter), that would be unprotected.

Maybe what could happen, if your deed is a terminus, then KoS still works even if the highway goes all the way up. Then, just implement a warning feature while in perimeter, and the problem should be solved.