Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Highway Protection system

Correct, gravel counts as paved and will work. Sand can be changed too easily and thus does not count.

The digging on paving will be addressed, and prying catseyes is intended to be a lengthy process for anyone trying to cause trouble by it.

The person who planted it will gain an additional bonus, meaning an incorrectly placed one can be fixed quickly too.

Can there be multiple waystones on the same deed? Do waystones have individual names, or are they just listed as Deed Name for those who opt in?

ex. Could I name 1 waystone "My Deed (Public Inn)" and the second "My Deed (Docks)"?

• Like 1

They didn't seem to have names on test, and well waystones are needed at every crossing so they prolly just have database numbers.

Waystones point out nearby deeds, not locations

• Like 1

So, the nearest 10, will it be nearest by numbers of nodes along the road/s or more in a radius from the waystone you see the deed list on?

On 6/3/2017 at 3:56 PM, Jaz said:

The glow of the catseyes and the waypoints side lights and glow when showing the direction is a bit off Wurm for me, feels like hightech...

Yeah, I'm wondering about the hightech thing too.  Personally I'd be ok with the 'catseyes' looking like eyes. Might be a little more Wurmian, like magically making the eyeballs 'watch' the roads.  Not sure why the glow either, but glowing eyeballs would be better, imo, than glowing 20th century road markers.

• Like 1

I find the whole litering the roads with eyes quite disturbing... specially in a game where spiders can be turned into inoffensive (looking) little blobs, i'd rather had polished chunks of metals (read real catseyes history) than those for sanity reasons... the eyes, they are watching me!!!

Color coding is also a bit ... meh, making roads more visible at night or winter is a huge +1, making them hightecky glowy LED like, not so much. Moon metal glow (like rings / helms) would be enough to make me happy and not be over the top.

The whole removal of highways / catseyes troubles me. I had and have enough ongoing issues with highways being used to grief, new system only makes it even more easy to abuse the situation, making it only possible to easilly remove the eyes when a reroute is done would be better (it's afterall what the GMs currently ask you to do), same goes for dead ends, making it only possible to remove from the latest link (but with ease).

Do note that this comments are based on the 'highway documentation' google doc and some seen pictures, will try to get on the test server to give a wee bit more lengthy 'feedback'.

• Like 1

Taking my first look at the cat's eyes on test and I like it.

Posting screen shots for those that can't be arsed to boot up the test server, I do think it is worthwhile doing so before forming a opinion of the system.

ThFnw2v.jpg

It is not so bad, and yes its different, but it will grow on you and after a few weeks/months you wont even notice them anymore.

Options for viewing the protection and links is interesting;

Spoiler

yfyiaDX.jpg

XvfqvZW.jpg

Also using the find route feature is handy and I think it will really help those that have a hard time traveling around a server, yay to no more rescuing lost souls from the other side of the server.

Spoiler

sVXXosN.jpg

gGH1nd4.jpg

TqxPYRl.jpg

The blue eyes for unfinished routes ending in a red eye is helpful as well.

Spoiler

MlHwlkA.jpg

I think the signs on the wayposts could use a bigger font, they are not easy to read without mousing over.

I noticed the cateyes already have over 2pts of damage, I don't think anyone will find it fun maintaining millions of these things.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Well, jake beat me to it, but ingame doesn't look as bad it sounds in the text or look in the pictures, the green glow is even quite nice at night... you won't change my mind on the blue / red one though, but those shouldn't be much of an issue with proper highways.

The way waystones work to show directions might be a bit silly though, on the test server one of them point toward an empty highway, with the actual road going toward another one (with the whole linking system), it will however probably work better on the real servers once the infrastructure is set (in stone).

I am however pondering if it would be possible to have the catseye glow gold to show you the way toward the deed you are going to, the signs already do, that would be the next logical step.

[20:22:53] A marker used in the middle of a highway, protecting the surrounding tiles. The catseye has been firmly secured to the ground by Pifa. Ql: 66.0, Dam: 1.5151515.

[20:22:53]  It could be improved with a rock shards.

Natural decay and QL makes me wonder how much of a pain it will be to create, improve and repair the highways. Might be a good thing if they were non-decay and tweak the damages to them accordingly (even if i believe we should be able to remove them in one action if they are not linked to anything else or a bypass exist.)

34 minutes ago, Odynn said:

blue / red 

they are only this color for unfinished highways/highways that do not connect to a deed or another highway, the red is the end of the line

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

How do you add your deed name to the waypoint markers?

One of the original posts on the highway system said the signs are planned, but probably won't be in at launch. Hopefully they are soon. I have mixed feelings on the size and glow of the points. They will help follow the road, but are a little intrusive.

The number of catseyes for long highways is gonna be huge if they have to be huge for long highways. While they are community projects, I doubt more than a handful of people will go to far from their deed to update highways to 2 wide from sand and install hundreds of catseyes. Finndar estimated over 300 for 1 highway alone. The highway I'm just finishing is probably half again that many (on top of finding a deed to connect to).

[16:02:45] The water is too deep to plant the catseye.

this is around 1-2 slope above water showing on the ground, this will be a problem for landbridges as you will not be able to plant the catseyes anywhere near these road types

Because running a line of catseyes up one side of a 3 wide road is just plain silly:

EFYHOvD.jpg

• Like 1

Some questions on the googledoc;

Permissions

Build permissions and paving would be required to place any markers on deed, but, if we used the democratic way, then anyone should still be able to approve or disapprove at any waystones even on deed.

Anyone can place markers on a deed or not? The wording is a bit confusing.

KOS

No KOS if a highways passes through the deed. It could be ok for a terminus, e.g. when it has a single waystone that has less that two links. But for ease of coding, if the deed has any marker on deed then KOS should not work.

• Note if you try to place a marker on deed and there is a KOS list, then you need to get a message to clear the KOS list first.

Does this mean that if the marker is on a terminus deed with just one link then KOS is fine?

If just to make the coding easier you will be making a lot of folks not add there deed to the highway network, even if there deed could be connected with just 1 link.

Sure KOS does not do much, but it is a tool that some will want to use and being unable to use due to having a highway simply connected to the deed would be a deterrent for connecting a deed to the system.

So a few things on the new system.

Need a second helper at my deed, since I created it with a non-prem account I had to run one of my prem alts out to the deed, so I use the new route system and the sign lights up with the direction I need to go, and the distance, some 1200 tiles or so.

So running along the roads and maybe run about 400 tiles or so distance and while in another window my alt ran through a forest missing a corner, so I back track a bit and run into retrogrades new sandstone highway. The route sign shows that I need to take this new highway, the thing is though, taking this new highway instead of continuing on the old road shows my new distance to be 1200+tiles. I am quite sure the shorter distance would be to continue on the current road, but I follow the sandstone anyways. Sure enough it loops back to the original highway I followed before.

Second thing while traveling down the highway I decided to try adding a waypoint marker along the highway as perhaps a handy way of checking if I am going to right direction. So I make a waypoint and replace a catseye, but when checking routes my village does not show up on the sign.

I have a little story about a pottery keystone for a pottery brick bridge  8)

[19:02:11] You need pottery keystone to start building the Pottery brick crown of pottery brick.

okay

[19:04:45] You create a clay keystone.

[19:04:50] The clay keystone will not fit in the campfire.

well then this

[19:09:05] You create a kiln in front of you on the ground.

[19:10:08] The clay keystone will not fit in the kiln.

[19:13:19] You create a forge in front of you on the ground.

[19:13:30] The clay keystone will not fit in the forge.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:13 AM, drvst said:

Up next: Traffic lights, stop signs, and street wardens!

PROGRESS!!!!!

If they keep this up, we'll end up with gun powder, muskets and cannons... :D

• Like 3

On 6/16/2017 at 2:02 AM, Caroligan said:

If they keep this up, we'll end up with gun powder, muskets and cannons... :D

I wish. :P Wurms been around long enough to have some technological breakthroughs hasn't it? lol

• Like 1

well  since we cant destroy pavement on protected tiles and everyone still can dig   they are realy useless....   this is stupid if someone come and dig, flaten and level .   hedges still works like charm 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sila said:

well  since we cant destroy pavement on protected tiles and everyone still can dig   they are realy useless....   this is stupid if someone come and dig, flaten and level .   hedges still works like charm 

you still cant  change the slope beyond 2, flatten and level don't work as far as im aware. 

i test again 

and i can dig 20 slope holes in road easy and drop dirt , level and flaten if there is no trees around

Edited by Sila