Sign in to follow this  
salahahdin

Has anyone noticed we lost 800 players since the start of the year?

Well, I've been away playing ESO online having a great time.  It felt like I was away at "Cancer Treatment of America" recovering from Wurm Online.  I still have fleeting thoughts of Wurm Online and wonder how it's doing.   I logged back into the forums after 9 mos away.  I continue to have subs and deeds regardless to help out.  As I read, I was delighted to see some changes for the better and ongoing address of bugs by a more robust Dev team.

I left chiefly due to dissatisfaction with toxic small minority of players, lethargic dev attention to game mechanics and bugs on pvp and pve, as well as a small minority of entrenched unsympathetic and unprofessional staff.

Although I was not always the greatest champion of MRC, I was disturbed to read the degree and manner to which MRC had continued to be targeted in ways beyond the game play mechanics.  No reason can justify that assault.  I can identify in a small way their feeling to leave server as a result.  It signals a sad indictment of wurm and wurm staff.  I too prematurely left server out of dissatisfaction premature of any intentional planned leave as a result.  it's always a serious thing the game staff should review when players en masse resign their game play.

On the positive side, I'm happy to see that there appears to be a renaissance of chaos and multiple viable kingdoms that lend to robust game play and the pvp action players wish for.  I had ennui reading the recruitment threads of all, and the even the cancerous skirmishes thread ironically devoid of skirmishes until more recent.

I empathize with the dev team in tackling ongoing code problems to fix bugged mechanics as it seems monumental yet what I do read and see evidence of is a concerted effort and team staffing push to address and improve the game there.  The most improved, changed aspect worth of acknowledgement would be with them, keep up the great work, you are the vital sustenance that feeds the heart of the game..the player base.

In closing i'd add that many good suggestions have been offered here worth giving a thrice look over and consideration.  Players may only have their angle from which to see, yet it makes it none the lesser accurate or true in many cases.  To the PR Team, when responding to comments of players, you may find valuable that the responses are often coming off as aggressive, defensive, dismissive as if you already know the answers and know better.  I'm sure the intention is the very opposite yet overwhelmingly i read the responses and see that aforementioned tonality which off-putting and discouraging to us players.  It has been my longstanding view/sentiment that although game bugs and mechanics problems cannot be immediately addressed nor simple, Great customer service can go a long long way.  Having been on staff for some time myself, I'm keenly aware of responses given to players.  Especially at a time of waning subs it is precisely when you drop some of the rules you've established of what you don't do for players in assistance and instead go the extra mile.  

• Like 11

I am of the opinion that:

Vynora should cast rite of spring.  Her followers do not have the depth of understanding to correctly cast the spell.

Dragons should be able to fly.  Every unique should be aggressive to fences and mine doors. 

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding this loss of players.

/me locks the door to his 3 tile mine and neatly cleans his blade

No idea at all.

• Like 1

I left, played some other games, came back multiple times. Last time I came back I played WU instead of WO. I love the timers and how it doesn't take forever to do the maintenance chores. I want to come back to WO but I think of how much mundane, slow grinding and I just sigh. WU on Sklo's server seems just about perfect. 

Consolidate the WO maps down a bit and maybe release a new map and I would come back to WO. Landrushes are always fun and exciting. 

• Like 2

hello, one year later almost, how we lookin on this topic?

sorry if i opened a wound...

Not so well from what I hear..

Graphs tell me that it's at 2500 Subscribers

Edited by Oreo

year

You can see the perennial spike around the holidays that Retro mentioned. Happens every year, likely.

Edited by LaRue

WO is just too expensive to foster population growth.  Go tell a perspective player premium is for just a single character. Go tell him he won't be content with just a single character because that character cannot experience everything the game has to offer.  Go tell him he has to pay yet another monthly subscription for a second, or third character.  Watch him shake his head when he adds up the total monthly cost.  Finally, tell him in addition to that, he has to buy silver to plant a deed and pay upkeep.  No wait, you can't tell him that, because he already left the room.

Seriously, revert to the original monthly premium per character and maybe, just maybe, the population will start growing again.  But nobody listens to that line of logic.....  Oh well...

• Like 8

Actually, social critical mass has been lost.

There is absolutely nothing the devs can do about it; it would take a concentrated effort from the community to make a difference now.

58 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

WO is just too expensive to foster population growth.  Go tell a perspective player premium is for just a single character. Go tell him he won't be content with just a single character because that character cannot experience everything the game has to offer.  Go tell him he has to pay yet another monthly subscription for a second, or third character.  Watch him shake his head when he adds up the total monthly cost.  Finally, tell him in addition to that, he has to buy silver to plant a deed and pay upkeep.  No wait, you can't tell him that, because he already left the room.

Seriously, revert to the original monthly premium per character and maybe, just maybe, the population will start growing again.  But nobody listens to that line of logic.....  Oh well...

You are not entirely wrong, also wurm unlimited was a complete mistake, which I only support for the fact the game and code will be available forever due to its existence.

But honestly, the average player of wurm has changed, those still playing have likely been playing for years. 

I started playing this game in Freshman year of High School, I had a lot more time then. Since then I went to college, went through several jobs, graduated, moved, and work full time at one job and act as an assistant director for another.

I do not have time to grind, do you? If wurm is not growing, reduce premium maybe bring in new people, at the very least make the base happy. I can tell you for a FACT I would pay premium on 2 other accounts (priest and alt) if the cost was lowered, and I would buy silver for gear shopping instead of trying to make my own versions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

truth in these words

Edited by Tikki

what wurm needs to do is find a way to appeal to kids and teens again

3 hours ago, Kabill said:

what wurm needs to do is find a way to appeal to kids and teens again

Not a chance. Now kids play fast paced games , wich is opposite of everything in Wurm.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Not a chance. Now kids play fast paced games , wich is opposite of everything in Wurm.

I'm not sure. I mean, yes, you're mostly right, but to me Wurm appears as a game for people with imagination. For them, it's a great place to use it. Whatever they're playing everyday. I'm also into fast games. I'm playing World of Tanks, pubg, rainbow 6 siege and many others. These are much more challenging in terms of pure competition, personal skills improving and improving stats and charts to get yourself higher and higher. And that's for me, because I love to compete.  But i also need breaks from fast, tiring challenges, grinds, tournaments and trainings. A way for use more imagination, thinking, so I'm going back to Wurm. It's a place to rest, get into my own lore and world. Not even a game anymore, just my own story. Then, rested I'm again going for fast challenges in modern games.

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 2

There are always people who prefer slower games, we had fast games 10 years ago as well and they were also very popular.

And yes, maybe the game is just to expensive.

A while back Wurm did not really have any competition but now we've got cheaper games like Life is Feudal, Ark, Conan exiles,... all with a focus on building a world (Ark and Conan a little less).

Wurm does not seem to grow any more, maybe the new UI and tutorial might change that a bit, give us another spike but lowering the costs per player might help as well.

Put all characters on 1 account and let em pay for premium/account not premium/char might be enough of a change.

Just something that makes it look less expensive towards new/returning players.

people who find out about a super niche game with almost no one playing it, hence having a small community and not much going on, dont also want to find out that the game costs monthly.

thats my go on the topic, the payment model is outdated, just like everything else is in the game.

either way, we arent getting any new blood cause people dont even know WO exists.

yes, WU is on steam, but no one knows there are officially run servers.

ofc there are some who dig deeper and find the discord, but that portion of people is so low that it doesnt even matter.

this game needs better PR, this game needs the new UI which they said would come, this game needs a new payment model.

what this game doesnt need, is features like differently colored cave bugs, but thats just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Well, I've played World of Warcraft for 10 years, and in that time NEVER EVER heard about Wurm Online. Just found it couse guys from other forum showed it to me.

I am for discussions that lead to helpful suggestions, filling the forums with doom and gloom also repels players.

this isn't the news, please use other titles to have a discussion about helping the game increase its numbers.

I have been keeping track of why new players in my deed stop playing or dont go premium.

i had 8 new players join my deed in the last few months, all stopped playing, the reasons they gave for not going premium are, from most said to least.

- forums say the game is dying

- too expensive if i also want a priest

- skill gains are soooo slow.

- animations/graphics

- UI

• Like 1

i think reducing the costs would help but maybe upping the initial payment so the initial loss is not to big.

10 euro's a month, this includes 1 free alt.

every extra alt is 2 bucks extra, account sharing is forbidden.

price for in game silver would need to be adjusted too.

increase skill gains to 50

UI is incoming. 

more EASY ways to talk to people, (let the alliance and village and the /tell tab be stored online so you can read what you missed when you log in)so you can see you messaged you when you login (blockable in profile if you dont want this)

• Like 3