Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Unbreak cooking times, please

8 hours ago, DevBlog said:

In an effort to reduce some server lag recipe and cooking polling has been slowed. You may notice that when cooking, all meals may not be ready at the same time.

Frying an already searing hot ingredient in a glowing pan takes around 3 minutes on average. Idk if it helped with lag, but it's driving me nuts. Can we please get it sped back up a little or reverted?

• Like 5

Shouldn't this be in server bugs instead?:huh:

I wonder why they didnt make it an action... Have no time on it, just "Bind key cook" so the game doesnt have to tell, just give a "the food is not heated enough" message. action happens on the container, Would be very nice considering some of my foods went searing hot before it actually cooked...

• Like 2

Cooking times arent broken, just slightly longer due to server load optimisation.

A lot of systems on server polling occur very commonly, (previously with harvest times as well). In an effort to reduce how much is going on at any one time we've staggered out polling for some things, which greatly improves redundant systems running all the time, but also has the side effect of some things not being instant anymore.

We'll be continuing to monitor server performance and lag as we go on, but given that this alone was causing issues on small WU servers, it will have a much larger effect on Xanadu.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Cooking times arent broken, just slightly longer due to server load optimisation.

I understand that, but in this case they were not 'slightly' longer, but more than 100 times longer.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

Retro, before you reply again go cook up a few hundred meals.

• Like 1

Just for clarification, what server is the longer times on? Takes about a minute on average to cook 100 meals on indy

Release. And that was frying, meals were quicker for some reason.

• Like 1

Bump, cooked 2k fried meat today. Before the update everything cooked within 2 minutes. Today the time between the first and the last tick was 15 minutes. QL 70 forges and QL 5-20 pans.

[22:54:02] Hot food cooking increased by 1,0000 to 2,0000

[23:09:24] Hot food cooking increased by 0,0088 to 44,8949

Thats on Xanadu btw.

Edited by boilingfort

On 6/3/2017 at 8:59 AM, Retrograde said:

Just for clarification, what server is the longer times on? Takes about a minute on average to cook 100 meals on indy

Like come on I just tested it on indy with supreme oven, pan cookware and it took absurdly long! This is a really "bad" change, it should be reverted or the system that created lag fixed instead of band-aiding it. I can't even make a meal to eat without spending more time than I already wanted to for any game.

Ya can't pre-heat things anymore.  I'll put a hot potato in a pan and it takes over a minute or two to cook.  Hot potatoes used to cook in a second.

If it fixes lag probably then I guess.....I dunno.  Don't like the change...

• Like 1

On 6/2/2017 at 4:06 AM, zigozag said:

I understand that, but in this case they were not 'slightly' longer, but more than 100 times longer.

Exaggeration much?  I'll guess one of my old meals cooked in about 3 minutes.  3x100... nope, pretty sure that's wrong.

I too dislike the change but I've learned we sacrifice for those that bum around on Xanadu.  Just move on, it's not going to slide into the sea like Atlantis, unfortunately.

This is a terrible change it makes cooking a little longer and reduces lag... oh wait, good, great amazing thing.

Edited by cccdfern
  • Like 1

Pretty sure 180-200 seconds on average is more than 100 times longer than 1.

6 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Ya can't pre-heat things anymore.

• Like 1

took me like 15mins to bake bread and make bangers and mash - this is really dumb, cooking is more of a chore now

In 15mins I could make some RL food in less time!

Today using a 80ql rare oven, 80ql rare marble baking stone 80ql rare frying pan to cook bangers

[15:32:43] You selected 1. (dropped  a dough from the fsb)

[15:38:37] Bread was cooked

[15:43:05] Sausage was cooked

[15:45:01] Bangers was cooked

These are not doctored logs this is seriously not reasonable.

Edited by Niki
the complete log

29 minutes ago, Niki said:

In 15mins I could make some RL food in less time!

I believe you!

On 10/06/2017 at 9:35 PM, Niki said:

Today using a 80ql rare oven, 80ql rare marble baking stone 80ql rare frying pan to cook bangers

[15:32:43] You selected 1. (dropped  a dough from the fsb)

[15:38:37] Bread was cooked

[15:43:05] Sausage was cooked

[15:45:01] Bangers was cooked

These are not doctored logs this is seriously not reasonable.

That, same situation for me earlier, had 16% food left on the priest, started cooking. Waited for the bread to cook... then for the sausage... then for the searing hot potatoe + sausage to make the bangers and mash... and yah... of course my priest had the time to drop to 8% food and fast.

Everything. is. fine.

This is called Lag Shifting.  The transfer of lag from one place to another.  Now everyday normal actions on Xanadu may be a fraction less (didn't seem like it when I was on Xanadu today) and Cooking lag became 10-100x worse.

Ok, it was a good try.  Scrap it and try something else to fix Xanadu, but try it ON XANADU, not all servers at once.

bump because reasons.

keep it like this on xanadu if it helps any but unbreak it on the servers that didnt lag even with it.

just tried to cook a mere two pieces of meat in a single frying pan and i was able to eat, take a shower, eat again, go on a 1 week cruise and watch every single Alfred Hichcock movie and still came back right before the second one cooked.

and this was on exodus.

I don't even think this should be in Suggestions, but in Server Bugs. My wife tried baking bread today. Preheated dough on a baking stone has gone from taking a few seconds per bread, to up to 7 minutes. The 100x stated earlier is not an exaggeration! It is now ridiculously broken.

It's not a bug, and we are aware and will be addressing it with some other upcoming performance chances to the server.