Sign in to follow this  
Legios

Night Monster More Aggressive

I've been playing a few months, and I feel like I've killed everything available in the game besides the few "rare" spawns that usually end up being killed by small groups of friends. I think the strongest mob I've encountered is Champion Trolls and they are very trivial even with my 76 fighting skill. 

A lot of people seem to be against the thought of any addition to mobs/loot tables, and I understand almost everything in the game is crafted.. but there is no variety when it comes down to that either. Everybody makes the exact same items.. there is no mystery, nor can you travel to a vast new land where tables are different.. or maybe leather armor is more revealing etc etc.. (of course the same stats) to keep everything balanced. It's a sandbox MMO.. where the possibility's seem to be pretty limited in variety.

I have been noticing a lot of the updates since I began playing to be all about crafting/storage/building, and that is great, any addition of content in any direction is great, but I've personally been feeling neglected since my primary reason to play the game is exploration and hunting, and that has not gotten any love from the devs lately.

Since a lot of people are adamant about new things in their old game, I wanted to suggest something more of a compromise that could please those looking for a challenge while not changing much of the game:

Night time is always somewhat of an adventure on it's own, seeing that fiery glow at the distance and knowing it's a hell hound.. or seeing the full blown flames of  lava spider.. and that is usually the end of it.. these mobs stop being scary as soon as you kill them the first time, so the magic evaporates just like their body's.  I would like to see mobs get stronger/faster at night and harder to escape, with slightly better QL drops on top of whatever your skill in butchering is. Another idea would be just like we have fog spiders spawn when it's foggy.. maybe have other things capable of spawning in other weathers like rain or snow and so on. It's a sandbox after all.. so why is everything so predictable? 

And before you go and say this would be punishing to newbs.. spawning rules can be implemented were these "strong" mobs only spawn a certain distance from a starting town.

• Like 6

More adventure would be excellent. I think that's what they were going for with the rifts. The problem is when brow-beating basement dwellers claim ownership of them (just like with the uniques) and turn them into "slayings" ... these drama-filled crap fests that manage to be both stressful and boring.

But yes, some night time nasties would be something I wouldn't mind.

Kill a few deity avatars for fun, solo them w/o a bow or visit chaos.. plenty of options to have fun fighting, besides the rift ganks.

It's a sandbox.. nubz aren't bound to spawn-towns.. spawning 1337 mobs next to well geared and skilled players is serving them on platter :wacko:

Stronger mobs are available at chaos.. but you do not want to pvp? That's considered as .. end-game, or just something different to experience after pve maps.

21 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Kill a few deity avatars for fun, solo them w/o a bow or visit chaos.. plenty of options to have fun fighting, besides the rift ganks.

It's a sandbox.. nubz aren't bound to spawn-towns.. spawning 1337 mobs next to well geared and skilled players is serving them on platter :wacko:

Stronger mobs are available at chaos.. but you do not want to pvp? That's considered as .. end-game, or just something different to experience after pve maps.

This is in no way a solution... the classic "go to chaos" canned answer.  People take a "but save the nubz" platform every single discussion, yet on 30 other simultaneous threads they complain there's no new players.  You don't want to have to deal with mobs coming to your deed?  Wall it/fence it off and stay in hermit land. 

Anyone who has played this game for more than a few days knows exactly what mobs do what and how to deal with them.  They can probably list every type of mob from memory after a week or two.  There's not much variety, and there's not much surprise with anything.  Oh look, ANOTHER aged huge spider. Let me go kill it to collect my insect meat, heart, eye, gland.  So thrilling...

Shake things up and make them interesting.  It's not all about end game content.  It's about adding some E to the PVE of the game and making it less player vs farm.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Finnn said:

I understand some people will be happy with the same bland experience, I've actually met a few people that have bragged about their 40 year experience in the same factory as a line worker.

• Like 1

+1

Nearly forgot to say that... YES! Give us some unpredictability!

1 hour ago, Legios said:

I understand some people will be happy with the same bland experience, I've actually met a few people that have bragged about their 40 year experience in the same factory as a line worker.

So you want new kinds of mobs every week? Just to not be bored killing the same thing over and over again?

There's bigger challenge.. try it if you dare.

New night mobs would be cool. I'd love to see panthers :)

I realized the other day that I haven't seen a fog spider since last year.

• Like 2

Needs more glowing red eyes and fangs.

6 hours ago, Cecci said:

I realized the other day that I haven't seen a fog spider since last year.

go around your your yard.. they are polite enough to teleport trough the fences:ph34r:

funny fellas:huh:

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe some stronger monsters in remote places too. +1

Trolls breeding to form the infamous White Dotted Trolls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Partrune said:

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe some stronger monsters in remote places too. +1

Animals could canibalize themselves.. like a hound/troll etc.. attacking another aggressive mob to gain part of it's health and attack

I kind of doubt that less skilled players are going to like 2-3-5x faster hound or trolls with more hp and stronger hits..<_<:unsure:

Im not particularly interested in new mobs per se, but new types of behaviour, or behavioural modifiers depending on time of day, season, terrain, estimated strenght of the player, etc.

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Animals could canibalize themselves.. like a hound/troll etc.. attacking another aggressive mob to gain part of it's health and attack

I kind of doubt that less skilled players are going to like 2-3-5x faster hound or trolls with more hp and stronger hits..<_<:unsure:

Nobody asked for 5x faster trolls, if anything you are trolling a perfectly reasonable and otherwise serious suggestion thread with your nonsense.

Taking player's strength to level the mob to player's condition is bad... makes it irrelevant how much you beef up your char to get more hp or stronger hits.. :unsure:

40 minutes ago, Rathgar said:
Spoiler

Im not particularly interested in new mobs per se, but new types of behaviour, or behavioural modifiers depending on time of day, season, terrain, estimated strenght of the player, etc.

Nobody asked for 5x faster trolls, if anything you are trolling a perfectly reasonable and otherwise serious suggestion thread with your nonsense.

I object to your statement, and remain ontopic.. 

It's not the first time somebody talks about making champions trough some mob fighting.. to boost the stats of the surviving creature. Maybe new AI already have something like this.. who knows.

Edited by Finnn
forgot the quote

+1

Yes please.  I kill trolls for fun and nothing else to grind up skill on.  Always thought a Champ troll should drop a rare club or something at least.  I like the idea of better loot or a chance at Seryll like when on Chaos with special mobs.

17 hours ago, Finnn said:

Taking player's strength to level the mob to player's condition is bad... makes it irrelevant how much you beef up your char to get more hp or stronger hits.:unsure:

I object to your statement, and remain ontopic.. 

It's not the first time somebody talks about making champions trough some mob fighting.. to boost the stats of the surviving creature. Maybe new AI already have something like this.. who knows.

You misunderstood completely, thats why it sometimes looks as if you are trolling.

I never said that mobs should have their stats buffed depending on the player, just their behaviour.

Ill give you an example to avoid further confusion,

A single Aged Spider might avoid a player who is on the upper 70s of fighting skill and/or with fully enchanted gear.

Another example would be, in the same situation, if the player is wounded, the same spider might attack that same player, or if there are multiple spiders and a single player in the area, etc.

I was always talking about AI behaviour only.

Another example would be mobs hitting and retreating if they have numbers in their favour, or mobs stalking players from a distance untill theres several of them to attack.

Is it any clearer now?

nah..

why?

It's like you have constantly Path Of Love ability running on, weak or not.. 20-30-50 weaklings could still wreck you once they get to you and you crash/dc/lag/or forget to equip armor/weapon.

Mobs should never be passive to people if they are in their aggressive state and hungry or w/e state that triggers them to attack.

I do not like the "battlecry" idea.. mobs are annoying enough.. and well geared person could 'afk' fs grind waiting in some bugged area of the map with higher respawn rate. With good armor and weapon ql/casts.. you're ~immortal for normal mobs(only unique could put up a fight... that you wont like)

Needless to say.. but have to mention that a newb or average player and anybody inbetween are often going to have unpleasant memories from such feature.

Players already barely go out.. this wont stimulate fighting for other than only the best geared people, skills usually do not matter as much unless the player is fighting a champion mob.

Mob packs.. makes sense for wolves.. but again.. don't think it's good to have with the way wurm maps are.. most arent that big to have safe and not so safe areas, unless for some reason maps stay away from newly created mainroad system to keep players on the roads if they want to be safe(r) and to go deeper into the wild lands when they seek adventures.

Packs.. could be like 'small rifts'/events to poke a few people in 'freedom' chat for forming a hunting party.. to kill the pack of wolves etc..

Might sound fun.. but not everyone is well geared.. less skilled or geared players can not handle 5-10 wolves attacking the player at once.

The other thing this whole system does is stimulating mostly.. armor/weapon-making/improving/casting with more mobs attacking at once, ganking players etc.. could put a few more coins on few pockets. pros and cons..

37 minutes ago, Finnn said:

nah..

why?

It's like you have constantly Path Of Love ability running on, weak or not.. 20-30-50 weaklings could still wreck you once they get to you and you crash/dc/lag/or forget to equip armor/weapon.

Mobs should never be passive to people if they are in their aggressive state and hungry or w/e state that triggers them to attack.

I do not like the "battlecry" idea.. mobs are annoying enough.. and well geared person could 'afk' fs grind waiting in some bugged area of the map with higher respawn rate. With good armor and weapon ql/casts.. you're ~immortal for normal mobs(only unique could put up a fight... that you wont like)

Needless to say.. but have to mention that a newb or average player and anybody inbetween are often going to have unpleasant memories from such feature.

Players already barely go out.. this wont stimulate fighting for other than only the best geared people, skills usually do not matter as much unless the player is fighting a champion mob.

Mob packs.. makes sense for wolves.. but again.. don't think it's good to have with the way wurm maps are.. most arent that big to have safe and not so safe areas, unless for some reason maps stay away from newly created mainroad system to keep players on the roads if they want to be safe(r) and to go deeper into the wild lands when they seek adventures.

Packs.. could be like 'small rifts'/events to poke a few people in 'freedom' chat for forming a hunting party.. to kill the pack of wolves etc..

Might sound fun.. but not everyone is well geared.. less skilled or geared players can not handle 5-10 wolves attacking the player at once.

The other thing this whole system does is stimulating mostly.. armor/weapon-making/improving/casting with more mobs attacking at once, ganking players etc.. could put a few more coins on few pockets. pros and cons..

First of all, you once again that sstupid thing of quoting some extreme that no one mentioned, like 30-50 mobs. maybe you are not a troll, maybe you are just kind of dumb.

Secondly, people already go AFK with nothing hurting them, I suck at fighting, I never focused on fighting, I can go AFK and nothing will kill me, I can travel from one edge of the map to the other with absolute impunity, wich works for me, but people who like adventure might find it extremely dull.

The reason I can go AFK and live, is because if a mob wanders into range to attack me, its always a single mob, and it has absolutely no regard for its life, it does not behave like an animal or insect, it behaves like a mob from a 1985 Atari game, but more predictable.

Rifts or stuff like it are not a solution to ANY problem in this thread, in fact it would only create more problems, like the current rift mechanics do.

The one thing we agree on, is that poorly geared or new players cant handle several mobs at once, and there is a myriad of solutions to that issue.  The first solution was implied both in the OP and in my previous posts, have the mobs behaviour, or mobs themselves be related to the time of day, travelling by day could be made safer by any of many options, less aggro range, slower mobs, certain mobs being inactive during the day etc.

And Finnn, before you say that I want most mobs to disappear during the day and only spawn champions during the night, no, thats not what I wrote.

• Like 2

I've been reading all the feedback from you guys and aside from all the ones that are just straight up negative about ANY idea, some of you have indeed commented some very good addition, It makes me happy not seeing the same usual negatrons just saying -1 on everything without offering the slightest comment on why they disagree (These people are the ones that make it hard for anybody to make suggestions about a game they love and want to add their 2 cents to in order to make it more enjoyable for them and maybe those who are too afraid to confront these forum dwellers of negativity). 

I've noticed we do speak for the "newer" or "newbie" players as if they don't have a voice, and we keep trying to make the game work around these "new" players that are not encourage enough to voice their own. We try very hard to make the game enjoyable for them but not many of them voice their ideas or even if the game is difficult. We all started as newbs and moved up in the food chain, some of us faster than others.. (it only took me 5 days to hit level 70 fs and I found it extremely easy and brainless to do so). 

I love the idea of pack mobs like wolves, or spiders etc. Seeing animals fight off for territory and actually getting stronger in the process is also an awesome idea.

Instead of just completely shutting peoples ideas down.. how about we all work together to better it.. or at least have a reasonable explanation of why it would not work.. after all Wurm is not getting any younger, and it's not getting many new faces.. lets work together.

It's not about newer or newb players, there should be a few vets with lower fs or being a bit undergeared, just be cause they aren't into fighting.. I just am saying.. that they shouldn't be forced to be ondeed 100% of the time.. as packs of fierce mobs creep around.

While it's something fun and challenging for one.. it could result in the loss of what was it.. 5-6x 0.025 skills and 0.25fs, plus time to get back there and somehow deal with the mobs who 'bagged' the person. Not fun.

As a sandbox.. game's about more than fighting.. as I mentioned.... new catseye system does not really offer much more than somewhat official way to claim that your highway is official.. catseyes could be used to somehow keep mobs away from them.. while into the wilds.. all kinds of big bad bears could be waiting for the fighters(everyone's happy that way)

I never read seripina's post.. but yea.. we do not have separated parts of the maps where mobs spawn just there.. or that complex system to respawn mobs or certain type at the same place constantly like in other mmos, things seem a bit more random.

About her post again I do not agree.. it took me quite some time to see a lava fiend, or to find lava spiders on demand(not that I cant ask for spawn in freedom chat..) but on my own as a new player.. I wouldn't see every spawn in 1-2weeks unless I just walk around and explore the map both above, and underground mines.. to see everything.

The 'final frontier' in wurm for fighting challenge is pvp.. or that's how have been for a long time.. the only smart enemy is the other person with red outlining.

Hopefully Keenan's not making the new spawns(AI) read player's stance and attack moves about to be performed..(99.90% of the players do not ever read these..) as challenging as it might be to rng.. counter and evade them at some %.. it's going to drive a lot of people crazy mad about it; similar to the LT nerf... when people wanted more challenging fighting..:wacko:

--edit

btw @Rathgarthis is what I meant with the 'crazy numbers', it's possible to pick enough of a challenge with a simple walk even now.

Edited by Finnn

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

It's not about newer or newb players, there should be a few vets with lower fs or being a bit undergeared, just be cause they aren't into fighting.. I just am saying.. that they shouldn't be forced to be ondeed 100% of the time.. as packs of fierce mobs creep around.

While it's something fun and challenging for one.. it could result in the loss of what was it.. 5-6x 0.025 skills and 0.25fs, plus time to get back there and somehow deal with the mobs who 'bagged' the person. Not fun.

As a sandbox.. game's about more than fighting.. as I mentioned.... new catseye system does not really offer much more than somewhat official way to claim that your highway is official.. catseyes could be used to somehow keep mobs away from them.. while into the wilds.. all kinds of big bad bears could be waiting for the fighters(everyone's happy that way)

I never read seripina's post.. but yea.. we do not have separated parts of the maps where mobs spawn just there.. or that complex system to respawn mobs or certain type at the same place constantly like in other mmos, things seem a bit more random.

About her post again I do not agree.. it took me quite some time to see a lava fiend, or to find lava spiders on demand(not that I cant ask for spawn in freedom chat..) but on my own as a new player.. I wouldn't see every spawn in 1-2weeks unless I just walk around and explore the map both above, and underground mines.. to see everything.

The 'final frontier' in wurm for fighting challenge is pvp.. or that's how have been for a long time.. the only smart enemy is the other person with red outlining.

Hopefully Keenan's not making the new spawns(AI) read player's stance and attack moves about to be performed..(99.90% of the players do not ever read these..) as challenging as it might be to rng.. counter and evade them at some %.. it's going to drive a lot of people crazy mad about it; similar to the LT nerf... when people wanted more challenging fighting..:wacko:

--edit

btw @Rathgarthis is what I meant with the 'crazy numbers', it's possible to pick enough of a challenge with a simple walk even now.

The world should be scary.. it's not. PVP should not be considered end game, that's like telling a builder that he needs to go to chaos/epic in order to make different houses. I personally have no interest in learning such boring mechanics to deal with other players. I have no interest in PVP, I want to see the PVM more developed just how creative people get their containers and different tiles I just want to see monsters get some love too. This is a sandbox game after all, there is no danger.. one scary thing use to be fog.. and fog spiders.. that got practically removed so they do not even spawn on deed. I have yet to see a fog spider myself.. and I'm always out hunting.

Edited by Legios

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

--edit

First, not sure where this came in... but YES you did read my post. You were the first to comment on it with the whole "save the newbs" or "nubs will be scared" comments that mean nothing in a game that's over 10 years old.

This is a sandbox game.  Let's look at some other successful sandbox games... How about Eve?  There are npcs that people can seek out to fight (ratting) that have progressively more difficulty based on how populated or not the area is.  This concept could be implemented here rather nicely. 

Beyond that, I'm sorry that there are people that sit in their deeds 24/7 farming or imping stuff to sell on the market.  I shouldn't get half a game because they only play half a game.  If they want to only venture out sometimes, then they can occasionally put on gear, mount a cart with some fast horses, and go where they need to go.  Otherwise, add some walls around the deed, build some of the fancy new bridges, and get over it.

• Like 2