Sign in to follow this  
Muse

To Bee ..Or Not To Bee?... That is the question.

The Initial Buzz

Our devs spent time and effort implementing bees and beehives, and we waxed lyrical and swarmed out to grab them.  These furry insects captured our imagination, and got us all out and about building hives and hunting wild colonies, to get our share of the sweet honey and useful wax.

Unfortunately after this initial buzz, keeping bees has lost it's appeal for many.  Why?  Here's the stinger - there is little economic benefit in keeping bees.  Folks don't need honey, and wax has limited uses.  Barrels can be sealed just as easily with a peg with minimal effort, and candles can be made with animal fat.  Of course there are other uses, but at the end of the day - who needs bees?

The Honey Trap.

What we need are more gameplay and hence economical reasons to keep bees.  So lets make a start - I am sure you can add to this list.

• Scented candles - yes I know, interest in candles thus far has 'tapered' somewhat, but by rolling the wax in rose petals before making a candle, you could produce a powerful and useful Scented Candle, which exerts a short term calming aura on aggressive mobs, or reduces your aggro range to that of a new player.  By using lavender you could instead create a candle with a healing aura proportional to your candle ql.  Add fruits, herbs or spices and the list of possible beneficial effects grows.

• Furniture polish.   Yes we love our furniture and effects, but - and here's the rub, they all start to look the same after a while.  Why not press beeswax into a jar and rub it on our wooden possessions?  To slow decay?  Maybe!  To produce a short term glow or colour effect?  Possibly.  Why not?

• Switchels.  What on earth is a switchel?  Cider vinegar has long been known for its medicinal properties, and by dissolving cider vinegar and honey together in a jar of hot water, and drinking it regularly, many people have come to believe in the powerful properties of this traditional health tonic.  What are these health properties?  We won't know until we get some!

So Bee It

Whether you're a firm bee-leaver, or the idea of keeping bees brings you out in hives - why not jot down your ideas for improving the bee-economy? :)  Thanks!

• Like 4

Taking some of this info a website about beeswax in the middle ages. 

Blacksmithing – used to finish ironwork, giving a nice sheen and preventing rust - (basically a limited duration anti damage buff - apply like a rune but limited)

Basketweaving – used for pine-needle baskets (more storage options)

Woodworking – a period finish for wood when mixed with mineral oil (prevents decay / damage for tools for limited duration)

Archery – used to wax and protect the bowstring (prevents bowstrings snapping maybe for fishing line also?)

I'm sure there is more use at least for wax, as for honey; where is the Honey Buns?

It can be used for healing purposes also...

Edited by Niki

It has really been way too long since I saw someone propose something so useless so poetically, punfully and in perfect speech.

Strong +1

+1 from me - basket weaving I love that idea - could put logs in and if its visual image, put it next to a fireplace, or a basket of cloth clothing like a washing basket :) ok I just started a new deed so this would be great while I'm building.

If new medicines or potions were added, then honey would get my nomination for a base substance.

I love these ideas!

Especially scented candles. Very dynamic idea but could also tie in nicely with the "magic" of priests. Scented candles could be a "religious" craft that possesses its power both in the items used to craft it, as well as the rites it is used for. (Effect over time spells)

Switchel would be a very unique item to add to the "beverage making" cookbook, as well as be very useful. Perhaps it would boost stamina regeneration or slow stamina drain. (as its fabled to do irl)

Furniture polish could be cool too.

In the above comments I especially like its potential "medical" properties too. I can not wait for the day that wurm medicine becomes a thing, preferably, in the form of "potions" and the like. Potion making would be awesome and bees should totally be a part of it!

I think bees will get more attention, its just such a new addition to the game that not much was initially added. As are all things in life, I say: Give it time. (:

I was bee crazed for weeks when it came out, now all those hives do is shake all day long.

Well composed and amusing Bee references in your OP Muse and yet the question to Bee or not to Bee remains unresolved. Sure the Bee's initial elusiveness was quite the draw of attention. Then as many things go their sting was reduced over time into only the compulsivity of those Bee collectors that could not shake their quivering hives addiction. Probably a rash decision that produced some itchy results.

As for your suggestions as to how to make Bee hives products more useful, to me that is neither here nor there within which I care. As I always tend to avoid more work, the more uses that are created for these products the more work involved. This I find to be the anathema of Wurm and must be avoided at all costs. So unfortunately I can not endorse such creative expansiveness upon such a Beeutiful foundation, regardless of the Beesic premise.

As in the Highlands, there can Bee only One!

=Ayes=

+1 i love the idea of scented candles, much possibilities there

There is another game that understands beeswax well, a game called A Tale in the Desert. It is used for foundry operations and such. It is not the best game, but there are some good crafting ideas in it.

+1 to more bee goodies

and lol, very clever post

Edited by drvst