Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Dredging Revisted

After much confusion earlier this morning I finally decided to use the 'level' option with a dredge.  Keep in mind this is the only thing I ever read about this new feature:

Taken from the Valrei International 012

On 3/31/2017 at 8:58 AM, Retrograde said:

Dredging changes
Also in an upcoming patch, we'll be improving dredging with some long desired changes. Dredging will now have an option to flatten or level tiles, and also dredging will deposit dirt straight into your boat! This will only work if there's space in the dredge, but these two changes will definitely make dredging a lot easier!

I unfortunately cast all Wurmlogic aside and at that time thought this is really happening.  I will be able to activate, or equip, my dredge and finally level out my canal right into my knarr.  Today I imp'ed up my dredge, prepared the knarr, and set off to experience this new greatness... and it did not work.  At least it did not work as I had read it from the news post.  "Dredging will now have an option to flatten or level tiles, and also dredging will deposit dirt straight into your boat!"  My frustration then lead me to read the actual patch notes.

Taken from the Patch Notes: 13/APR/17

On 4/13/2017 at 10:03 AM, DevBlog said:

Dredging additions and changes:

• You can now flatten and level with a dredge.
  • You must not be embarked when using flatten or level.
  • When dredging from a boat, the dirt/sand/clay will go directly into the hold if there is room. (You must have room in the dredge for this to happen).

"You must not be embarked when using flatten or level."  What the #%$@?

Now to be fair it was actually Kenolein that took the time to explain to me that I was going to have to first dig the dirt to max shovel depth (which was done already), then i was going to have to stand on that with the activated dredge to dig it down one or so more before I would be able to use the 'level' option.  Now this brings me to the part of this whole system that needs to be revisited.

Once you have finally got your area prepared to be leveled with the dredge, you have to tread water hauling up a 2 dirt max load while leveling.  That's right, somehow it does not make sense to use level/flatten from the boat where your dirt could go directly into the hold.  Nope.  Somehow you are treading water while pulling something up that is more than two times as heavy as your mooring anchor off of the bottom of the water. 

Now this is Wurm, and I am more than willing to look past this if you can find some way to make it so that I can level more than two dirt at a time without having to drag and drop out of the dredge.  I know that you're worried that some of us might actually have the stamina to grab a drink, and maybe a restroom stop, before we'll need to rest.  Seriously, who is this hurting?  Just at least make it so that anything you dig using the 'level' option with a dredge goes into your inventory, and not into that 2 capacity dredge.  If you really want to improve the dredge, get rid of the 2 dirt capacity altogether and make the dredge equip-able just like a shovel.  Then the dredge could work the same on water as the shovel does on land when leveling.

Edited by Aaron_IRL
  • Like 1

Oh really?  This is just dumb!  Dredging from boat should allow leveling and flattening, or it just isn't worth it at all.  It is far easier to just push the boat over the corner you need lowered and manually level it.  The mechanics make it quite useless it seems.

I was confused too when I tried to dredge after that update. I was thinking it was going to make leveling out my port harbor a lot easier. Turns out dredging is still a pain and doesn't seem to work as described.

to be fair, the basic dredging is fantastically better.  Dirt right into the boat rocks!  I'm doing it right now on a project and I no longer dread dredging.  Just level and flatten make zero sense.

41 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

to be fair, the basic dredging is fantastically better.  Dirt right into the boat rocks!  I'm doing it right now on a project and I no longer dread dredging.  Just level and flatten make zero sense.

Aye, basic dredging works nicely, what i tend to do nowadays is dredge from the boat, then flatten while in water to get the same(ish) result as level, but without the whole focus process on the dredge emptying... requires some quick maths but nothing too hard.

i'd forgotten about dredge_level , i recently dredged 3k+ in a knarr.
you're right, it's glorious.
it's a shame they haven't implemented level properly and until they do, my knarr is going to need a glass bottom.

+1