Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Actual DNS Work Around to Play Wurm Online

DNS is what resolves names to IP addresses.  So it's like if you have Mike in your cell phone, you click on name and it starts dialing the phone number for you.  You only have to remember the name Mike and the phone knows the phone number so you don't have to remember it.  This is exactly what DNS is for the internet.

So the issue at hand is the DNS server (phone book) doesn't have the proper IP address for Wurm Online servers or is just down and not resolving at all.  So we tell Windows how to get to Wurm Online and not use DNS.  We use the hosts file.

What you want to do is edit your Windows hosts file.  This is the first file that Windows checks to resolve addresses, then it checks DNS.  So we are going to tell Windows how to resolve the DNS names to what IP addresses.

In Windows you want to click on your "Start Menu".  From there you will start typing "notepad".  When you see "notepad" pop up in the list of programs, you will right click on it and choose "Run As Administrator".

Inside of notepad you will click on File, then Open.  Browse to this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Change the part where it says "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*) so you can see all files without the .txt extension.

Open the file named:     hosts (there is no .txt or any extension, just says hosts)

The file will open and there shouldn't be any records except for an explanation of the file.  So at the last line add these:

148.251.21.205 Jenn001.game.wurmonline.com
148.251.21.200 Wild001.game.wurmonline.com

Then click on File and Save.  Close the file.

You can try to load Wurm Online client and if it works, then you are good to go.  If you can't then you might need to flush your local DNS.

Flush DNS (if needed).  Doesn't hurt if you do it anyways.

Click on Start Menu and search for "cmd" (Command Prompt) and open it.  You will see a black screen where you will type this in:

ipconfig /flushdns

Type exit and the black box will go away.  Try Wurm Online again and should log you in with no issues.

Later on you can repeat these steps and remove the 2 lines in the hosts file so if Wurm updates it's DNS names, you'll get the new IP info.

unknown.png

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 12

No problem.  It appears you don't need the 2nd line that says Wild.  It's there in case of Chaos log ins.  Giving credit to Threap for the IP info.

• Like 1

When trying to save hosts file:

5PCKqWv.png

How would I go about finding which process has the hosts file open?  (Win 10)

Edited by Malokai

10 minutes ago, Malokai said:

When trying to save hosts file:

5PCKqWv.png

How would I go about finding which process has the hosts file open?  (Win 10)

Reboot your computer and try again.  That should unlock the file unless you have a Malware infection.

8 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Reboot your computer and try again.  That should unlock the file unless you have a Malware infection.

Fixed:  Had to temporarily disable Webroot Antivirus, save the file, then restart the antivirus app.

3 minutes ago, Malokai said:

Fixed:  Had to temporarily disable Webroot Antivirus, save the file, then restart the antivirus app.

Well that's good.  It means it was protecting the hosts file.  Don't like Webroot too much, but...... +1 in my book to them for that.

no need to flushdns.. doesn't help with anything, hosts file records skip dns checks

• Like 1

Can someone please show me what its suppose to look like when you put these in? Screen shot of your notepad or instructions would be helpful. 

There's a huge picture of a hosts file in the OP.  You should see it.

Here is what my host file looks like now after adding the line.  Works fine, I'm inworld now. :)

I'm on Indy if that makes any difference.  :) 

Spoiler
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost
148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com

Edited by Dorian
  • Like 1

/etc/hosts for linux users. The file has the same format.

10 minutes ago, ChicagoSkeezy said:

Thanks. I cant do it though says its open in another program

Check your Anti Virus software, it might be blocking the attempt to change the file. Programs like Webroot are very protective of that file, so you might need to shut it off while you change the file out.

35 minutes ago, Dorian said:

Check your Anti Virus software, it might be blocking the attempt to change the file. Programs like Webroot are very protective of that file, so you might need to shut it off while you change the file out.

Ive got McAfee? That one?

4 hours ago, nicedreams said:

DNS is what resolves names to IP addresses.  So it's like if you have Mike in your cell phone, you click on name and it starts dialing the phone number for you.  You only have to remember the name Mike and the phone knows the phone number so you don't have to remember it.  This is exactly what DNS is for the internet.

So the issue at hand is the DNS server (phone book) doesn't have the proper IP address for Wurm Online servers or is just down and not resolving at all.  So we tell Windows how to get to Wurm Online and not use DNS.  We use the hosts file.

What you want to do is edit your Windows hosts file.  This is the first file that Windows checks to resolve addresses, then it checks DNS.  So we are going to tell Windows how to resolve the DNS names to what IP addresses.

In Windows you want to click on your "Start Menu".  From there you will start typing "notepad".  When you see "notepad" pop up in the list of programs, you will right click on it and choose "Run As Administrator".

Inside of notepad you will click on File, then Open.  Browse to this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Change the part where it says "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*) so you can see all files without the .txt extension.

Open the file named:     hosts (there is no .txt or any extension, just says hosts)

The file will open and there shouldn't be any records except for an explanation of the file.  So at the last line add these:

Then click on File and Save.  Close the file.

You can try to load Wurm Online client and if it works, then you are good to go.  If you can't then you might need to flush your local DNS.

Flush DNS (if needed).  Doesn't hurt if you do it anyways.

Click on Start Menu and search for "cmd" (Command Prompt) and open it.  You will see a black screen where you will type this in:

ipconfig /flushdns

Type exit and the black box will go away.  Try Wurm Online again and should log you in with no issues.

Later on you can repeat these steps and remove the 2 lines in the hosts file so if Wurm updates it's DNS names, you'll get the new IP info.

unknown.png

This work perfectly

Seems no matter what workaround I try I can't log on. Oh well. Guess I'm waiting haha.