Sign in to follow this  
Erevorn

Basic trade revival project - general discussion

So recently I've been thinking about the slow death of every day trade and the sale of low tier resources and possibly tools. As far as I realise that high quality tools are available wide and cheap and bulk resources are always there if you know who to talk to, the main problem I want to address is making a living as a newbie or as a non-prem.

Without getting into details that won't be necessary to state the thesis - the only way to make the first prem's worth or even a referral's worth after you have lost everything and became non-prem is dirt. This is basically the only thing that sells always and everywhere and the price for it has fallen already anyway (from 1s/1k to 0.8s/1k), making it even more mindnumbing to earn the desired amount of silvers to start up.

I strongly believe this is one of the main reasons new players don't stick around long enough to see the full potential of Wurm.

What we need to do:

Find a way to fix and revive the low-tier end of trade so that it's not a matter of doing one thing for the next couple of weeks to get your first prem if you are new.

Basically, the main problem of Wurm's economy is that we have a very high supply of everything on the market and not enough demand for the lower graded stuff.

Questions I'd like answered in this topic: Do you think this is an actual problem? Do you have an idea on how to make it better?

Add your thoughts :)

This discussion should probably be posted in the town hall, but I think this is a good place for it as well.

This is not an actual problem and it's best not to touch a somewhat natural system. Things will change by themselves, but only with growth of playerbase.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, zigozag said:

This is not an actual problem and it's best not to touch a somewhat natural system. Things will change by themselves, but only with growth of playerbase.

Yes, making the playerbase grow will fix every problem wurm's economy has and it will create a circle of more and more new people staying because they'll be able to trade the small and basically worthless for us things.

The problem however is that we don't have anything appealing to new players to make them stay.

5 minutes ago, Erevorn said:

As far as I realise that high quality tools are available wide and cheap

Spoiler

Visit Yir' Bargain Shop for 70ql tools at 10c !!! bulk lamps for 4c each and they will be 50ql. Make your place shine!!!

After raising other skills to 70 im pretty sure im gonna stay around the same price (wouldnt do it for weapons and shields though) because of the function of high ql items in wurm. If you want skill in wurm you need a longer timer and the right difficulty. As low as my prices are i have NEVER sold 1 tool, but i have sold possibly a total of 150-200 lamps/braziers at 50ql. The only way a tool is worth buying now is if its enchanted. Blank high qls don't get love...

12 minutes ago, Erevorn said:

Find a way to fix and revive the low-tier end of trade so that it's not a matter of doing one thing for the next couple of weeks to get your first prem if you are new.

tbh I don't think trade is the best method of getting premium for the first time. Most of the annoyances are not being able to ride horses, command carts, command more than a row boat, etc. If anything I would promote 20 day trial of premium with some restrictions (no rift rewards, no help for sermons, etc) so others can't abuse it.

But yeah I don't think what you are asking for is really possible. 1s = 1e, so you are asking for a method for high end players to need newer players and pay them essentially REAL money. The only way to enjoy wurm is by paying with real money to play and then participating in regular stuff. Hell, when i get enchants im considering dropping the whole money idea and changing to trading to attract customers with no money, just materials.

First of all Wurm is not supposed to be someone's real life income, it's supposed to be a game. I don't think it's true that you must spend large amounts of money to enjoy game either, but some people are different and impatient i would say. So any efforts on improving economy excepts for attracting new players is ridiculous imo. I do think that new players need to expirience trial premium so they can fully see potential of wurm and become motivated to come back and pay for premium next month. Maybe after you acquire a certain amount of skills to 20 you get free one time 20 days premium trial without sb and referal and affinity so it cant be abused.

• Like 6

Trade chat has kind of ruin the economy, people with incorrect price checks without having any knowledge of the item are not helping. It's honestly a cesspool currently, and it's not moderated by a legit price checker.

As for new players the ones that stay make use of the forums usually, that's a good sign when people put forth the effort making a account here. I honestly am not sure how new players think they need the best of the best instantly. Leveling any skill except a few early on is super fast. You can skill to 50 before even needing enchanted tools, I think that new players feel like they are required to have some? Should newbies feel forced to spend more money on a account day 1? No, it's a bad system and no one seems to care at all!

Easy fix pay attention Devs! Fix the darn tutorial, and at the end of it give them enchanted variants of what there is already. Nothing extreme just coc up to like 50. Make the coc immune from wear and tear. Done. Fixed.

Now back to my issue with trade chat:

Because of this every day the price of items falls. Because of people lying about prices (they probably like to troll and its fun for them?) You really can't blame the lack of players anymore for decay, sorry I know economics well, and lately I've seen new and returning players surging back into the game.

I vote remove trade or make it require some mind logic to use, the newbies are the ones making random calls when someone PC's a item - most of the time it's totally off. Someone:PC rare bone Newbie: 10s.

Now the price of boats is apparently "dirt cheap" because people think you can use bones on them! It's insane, somewhere along the way I get severely triggered by it. News flash ain't no one selling no supreme boat for 10s!

So when new people see that they think, "Wow okay I should buy some bones to make my boat rare!"

Trade is better suited on the forums, it worked well before trade chat, and I'll continue using it to make sure new players are legitimate with a forum account to prevent getting mail-scammed. Most of the time newbies are buying stuff in trade without money! What gives!

Sorry for the rant but I can't stand trade in it's current unmoderated, uncontrolled cesspool state. It deserves some love badly.

Thanks.

Sigh really wish this was a town square topic, no one reads suggestions.

Edited by Niki

1 minute ago, Niki said:

Trade chat has kind of ruin the economy, people with incorrect price checks without having any knowledge of the item are not helping. It's honestly a cesspool currently, and it's not moderated by a legit price checker.

There's no 'legit pricing' in wurm.. anyone could sell you 1k dirt for 0.6 to 20silver, it's your own problem when you realize how you got 'scammed', but that's normal as there's nothing to keep the prices stable.. you just find a trader and buy something for the price you're willing to pay.

I vote remove trade or make it require some mind logic to use, the newbies are the ones making random calls when someone PC's a item - most of the time it's totally off. Someone:PC rare bone Newbie: 10s.

That's somebody's alt.. scamming the 'newbie'(someone), things from there go further down the scam valley.. and soon the main char of the alt sells that rare bone for 30s, only few hours later... <_<nothing new.
We have no auction.. no stable prices.. anyone, anywhere, any time.. could be scammed this way.

So when new people see that they think, "Wow okay I should buy some bones to make my boat rare!"

AWESOME! Where is the problem in that?

Somebody missed reading between the lines.. and ended up paying 20-30s for a rare bone.. that is AWESOME for whoever got rid of the bone, new owner on the other hand.. wont be able to make a rare boat.. but could rare relatively anything on a whim.
No harm, rush actions lead to some regrets, but are still own decisions.

Bottom line@Niki, game's better with some trade channel, compared to old dark ages without one.. even if that used to make gl-freedom seem more active, it was still spammed by ads .. all day.. leading to creation of spam-heaven. (where everyone pasting 3 long lines in a row gets ignored for good)

@ErevornWurm does reward you for having more skills or having them mastered at higher levels, well.. not always.. but mostly;

higher ql or skill shortens the action timer, does better improvements or gives you better ql raw materials when gathered.. same with powers of spells.. higher power - bigger benefits.

Check merchant ads and wtb/wts posts... see what's wanted, or being sold.. see how much of that market you could cover and make your own ad, maybe 2... in both sections.. and try your luck.

Other thing is.. what @Yiraiamentioned.. you could easily get started without much skill.. and fill the same gap in the market on your server.

• Like 1

A lot of wurm's economic issues stem from one simple fact:

Most goods are a one time purchase.  Once you buy a high QL tool, you're never going to need to buy another tool of the same type, unless the enchant RNG hates you.  Oh, you might need to pay to have your items re-imped once a year if you're a priest, but otherwise, after a year of play, you're either gone or capable of re-imping 75% of your stuff yourself anyway.

The introduction of more "useful" lower level products:

For example, the ability to make flint tools (low durability (100 uses), unrepairable, comes automatically CoC100) as a low level stonecutting ability.  Low level players could produce these easily and have something viable to sell, but not something that is going to replace existing tools.

• Like 1

My advice to new players has always been: Join a village.

This is true now more than ever. If you find one with a few high skilled players, you will likely never have to buy any tools or items in your first 6 months playing, outside of vanity/choice.

Assuming they are helpful and you are too.

36 minutes ago, Niki said:

Easy fix pay attention Devs! Fix the darn tutorial, and at the end of it give them enchanted variants of what there is already. Nothing extreme just coc up to like 50. Make the coc immune from wear and tear. Done. Fixed.

How would giving everyone unlimited 50coc help...?

Upgrading from that to a 100coc tool would only be an increase from 150% to 200% skillgain (33% increased skill, to a tool that will lose its enchant over time)

The 'problem with the economy', what I'd rather call an imbalance...is that higher skilled players do not need lower skilled players.

In a real economy, it functions as a pyramid. While the wealth moves up the pyramid, the very top still needs to lowest tier to maintain a working economy.

In Wurm however, a highly skilled player can do everything you can, faster and better. Speed and quality reigns supreme.

You can spend an hour imping a hatchet to 50ql with your 43 blacksmithing, or someone with 90 blacksmithing can spend 2 minutes on it, rending you 'useless in the marketplace'.

The only potential 'fix' to this that I can see would be to make imping a fixed length of time for all.

Whether you have 50BS or 90BS, it'll still take you 15 minutes to go from creation to 50ql.

That way, there would be a market for 'half imped' tools, whereby someone with 90 skill could buy tools at 50ql and imp from there to 90ql, saving the 15 minutes it would otherwise have taken. (The same time for both parties in the trade)

Or some system whereby lower quality items are required to make higher quality ones. (I haven't though this one through)

I'm not sure if I like that idea...and it's almost certainly too late to change such a core mechanic of Wurm now...but it is the only way I can see there ever being a market for lower quality items.

I'm not promoting it or suggesting it is implemented...just passing the time while servers are down.

tl;dr Turn tools etc into essentially bulk materials that higher skilled players require.

• Like 2

There is no 'one set price' for anything, which would be why /trade doesn't have a 'legit price checker' moderator.  Price checks are subjective, and they change over time.  If you see someone putting in price checks you don't agree with, give an alternate opinion.  Most of the time, I see people asking for PCs in /trade going unanswered.

As above, the problem is that there isn't enough demand, and oversupply is pushing down the prices.  That's why dirt can be had for 80c/k now.  Just like the going rate for a basic rare tool is now around 5s, instead of the 7s a year or so back - rare farming boosted the supply.

Wiping out the advantage of high skills by making imps take forever seems like a bad move to me.  The market is a nice side-effect of the game, but it shouldn't be the primary focus - I really like that you can make more money per hour in a Mcjob than you can playing Wurm!  Assuming the macro protections are working, that keeps the gold farmers out.

So, I don't think the current market system has anything wrong with it, and I don't want any changes or external controls.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Wiping out the advantage of high skills by making imps take forever seems like a bad move to me. 

The advantage is in imping to a higher overall quality, not just the speed.

But like I said, it isn't going to happen...it's too late to make a change like that.

I'm not even suggesting it happens...just that it is a solution that would work.

14 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

1) A lot of wurm's economic issues stem from one simple fact:

Most goods are a one time purchase.  Once you buy a high QL tool, you're never going to need to buy another tool of the same type, unless the enchant RNG hates you.  Oh, you might need to pay to have your items re-imped once a year if you're a priest, but otherwise, after a year of play, you're either gone or capable of re-imping 75% of your stuff yourself anyway.

For example, the ability to make flint tools (low durability (100 uses), unrepairable, comes automatically CoC100) as a low level stonecutting ability.  Low level players could produce these easily and have something viable to sell, but not something that is going to replace existing tools.

1) Not really.. You'd often replace your old ql80-99 normal tool for a rare one.. or rare for supreme if you get the chance and you're able to pay/exchange something for that; some.. do lose their tools and items.. and need new ones from time to time.. and case 3.. enchants.. do blow things apart sometimes. Once your old 90/+ ql hammer with 90coc drops to 60-70coc.. if you're a hardcore player.. you want more.. if it's normal, no-imbue tool, you dont care about creator's name.. easier to buy a new one with 90-100coc than re-enchanting that old one, risking it etc/similar with tool's ql.. if you lack a smith around and don't want to deal with mailing service.. as long it's cheaper/faster to use some local merchant-npc to buy what you need - no need to mail/travel/talk/etc.. problem solved at the nearest market deed.

2) If noobs could make them...anyone could... and ~anyone have alts.. some have alts for their alts's alts.. Auto 100coc.. probably makes vynora really angry at u right now for that idea.

22 minutes ago, Outlaw said:
1 hour ago, Niki said:

How would giving everyone unlimited 50coc help...?

Upgrading from that to a 100coc tool would only be an increase from 150% to 200% skillgain (33% increased skill, to a tool that will lose its enchant over time)

I'd not give them more than 30coc or botd in worst case.. 50-60 are still good casts for some:unsure:

This kills some of the market for starting priests.

25 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The 'problem with the economy', what I'd rather call an imbalance...is that higher skilled players do not need lower skilled players.

In a real economy, it functions as a pyramid. While the wealth moves up the pyramid, the very top still needs to lowest tier to maintain a working economy.

In Wurm however, a highly skilled player can do everything you can, faster and better. Speed and quality reigns supreme.

You can spend an hour imping a hatchet to 50ql with your 43 blacksmithing, or someone with 90 blacksmithing can spend 2 minutes on it, rending you 'useless in the marketplace'.

Not exactly true.. as you climb up some skill ladder you do run low on fatigue.. and to balance your progress etc.. you are forced to buy bulk goods or use alts to prepare them.. alternative is to slow down and deal with everything on your own with 1 character.

True and not.. as you could be online and sell 20 ql50 hatchets for more than what that 90blacksmithing person sells usually per day. It's how market it.. and timezone's a *****.

About the time it takes for both skill levels... have in mind that the 90/+ bsmith is using ql90+ tools.. usually casted.. and skill + hq tools does speed up the work, + knowledge about stamina balance etc... a lot of side skills help to have less fails, better imps etc.. which is a payoff for your work to get that skill.

2 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Not exactly true.. as you climb up some skill ladder you do run low on fatigue.. and to balance your progress etc.. you are forced to buy bulk goods or use alts to prepare them.. alternative is to slow down and deal with everything on your own with 1 character.

True and not.. as you could be online and sell 20 ql50 hatchets for more than what that 90blacksmithing person sells usually per day. It's how market it.. and timezone's a *****.

About the time it takes for both skill levels... have in mind that the 90/+ bsmith is using ql90+ tools.. usually casted.. and skill + hq tools does speed up the work, + knowledge about stamina balance etc... a lot of side skills help to have less fails, better imps etc.. which is a payoff for your work to get that skill.

My idea doesn't balance the game, it would stimulate an economy.

I have had 90+ skilled accounts before. A 50ql item is literally under a minute...some cases it is creation quality is above 50ql.

Fatigue...I'm not even touching that one.

As for 'alt abuse', I don't think we should have ever been allowed/able to play more than 1 character at once and account trading/sharing should have been banned.

That alone would have kept the market alive... but again, that isn't the case and it is too late to fix. (That's the problem with a 10+ year old game...too late to fix almost anything major)

Purely talking about trade/economy however, lower skilled players need to be able to contribute something worthwhile.

Something more fun than bulk creation.

38 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Yup! My suggestion was to change the way tools and weapon worked by having a tool/weapon Quality and Condition. Quality would be a hard cap for the potential effectiveness of a tool. Condition would be its current level of that max cap.

For example a master weapon smith could produce a 90 Quality Longsword but its initial Condition would be 25. You would then need to imp it up to 100 Condition. Upon using and damaging it you would need to repair it which would drop the Condition. Imping it subsequent times would result in lowering the Quality so it would eventually become ineffective beyond repair or reimp.

while it would be sad to see your favorite spear eventually become useless, think of how much more trade would be taking place. Rares would actually be rare again and non rares would actually have a use by high skill players.

3 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

Yup! My suggestion was to change the way tools and weapon worked by having a tool/weapon Quality and Condition. Quality would be a hard cap for the potential effectiveness of a tool. Condition would be its current level of that max cap.

For example a master weapon smith could produce a 90 Quality Longsword but its initial Condition would be 25. You would then need to imp it up to 100 Condition. Upon using and damaging it you would need to repair it which would drop the Condition. Imping it subsequent times would result in lowering the Quality so it would eventually become ineffective beyond repair or reimp.

while it would be sad to see your favorite spear eventually become useless, think of how much more trade would be taking place. Rares would actually be rare again and non rares would actually have a use by high skill players.

I'd hate playing * like that..

NOBODY likes disposable items.. 

4 minutes ago, Finnn said:

The people who sell them do ;)

this would give smiths more work imping and creating items, enchanters more work enchanting and there would be less time to grind simple stuff like dirt and bricks which would create work for newbs. Problem solved, where can I pick up my check?

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Exactly.

Things that promote a solid, healthy economy just aren't fun.

Disposable items, character bound items, random chance of a tool shattering while using it, shatter while imping etc... All would lead to a thriving economy.

They also ruin the game for a lot of people and turn it more into a job than a game.

Wurm's real life, euro for silver approach will always have issues. It also has it's benefits.

1 minute ago, Aeryck said:

this would give smiths more work imping and creating items, enchanters more work enchanting and there would be less time to grind simple stuff like dirt and bricks which would create work for newbs. Problem solved, where can I pick up my check?

That would be great if there were better ways in-game to earn those items. I think that's where the original posters issue comes from.

I'd be all for buying a new tool every day/week, if it didn't always involve either grinding out thousands of bricks or paying 5e every time for silver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aeryck said:

How about anybody w/o much skill? They are going to be cows.. milked for coins day and night..

How do you even imagine that being fun for anybody?

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That would be great if there were better ways in-game to earn those items. I think that's where the original posters issue comes from.

I'd be all for buying a new tool every day/week, if it didn't always involve either grinding out thousands of bricks or paying 5e every time for silver.

People do get coins in various ways.., but.. the most that could be gathered is from nolifers playing 10/+ hours a day.
At which point.. McJobs are better to remain afloat.

56 minutes ago, Wonka said:

The market is a nice side-effect of the game, but it shouldn't be the primary focus - I really like that you can make more money per hour in a Mcjob than you can playing Wurm!  Assuming the macro protections are working, that keeps the gold farmers out.

There's other ways to generate ridiculous amounts w/o much work, but that's once you advance in the game and trading, we're not talking about the monthly golden coins here.

Trade is secondary. If you want to get started on premium, buy it from the shop.

In fact, disabling buying premium with silver would be the best for the game.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

Silver would become even more worthless if that happened. Doing that and deeds are the only way silver leaves the economy. Most people still buy silver from the shop to support the devs, so it's a moot point.

One and only one solution to the economy - more new players.  The longer people play, the more likely they are to skill up and be self sufficient in many areas.

Better starter tools won't help economy.

making tools limited use or disposable will just piss everyone off.

UBI (universal basic income) will kill Code Club.

Eliminating paying sub with silver will cause a ton of people to quit.

We just need more NEW people to join WO.  What prevents them?

1. They don't know it exists.

2. If they do see it, they see some really outdated graphics.

3. Most new players start on Xanalag.  Being told you chose the bummer server, after having invested in it can be a bummer.  Getting to Xanalag and finding it so sparsely populated can be a bummer (not for all though, some obviously prefer isolation).

So start a marketing campaign, update the graphics, starting with player models - make them sexy and appealing to all ethnicities! Provide a courtesy warning before joining Xanadu.

• Like 1

More new players doesn't 'fix' the economy.

It just provides more clients for the already established to sell to.

If anything, more new players = less pay for the already low leveled players, as they face increased competition.

I do not like disposable.. one of the BIG +(PLUS)es of wurm is that everything is player made and maintainable, well... most things, whetstones/pelts/... are :wacko:, being unable to repair them w/o 'mend' cast is .....<_< for some.

Competition makes them to produce more.. which gives them more skill(unless you mean just f2ps..), and old noobs.. eventually upgrade to better skills, which lets them make more than what they were initially able to..

Same thing happens at end-level.. more 90+ skilled players.. ql90/+ drops in price.. you can not change that.. unless you figure a way to make things useless after a while.. and I think we can agree that nobody likes that.. if anything wurm had an update for decorations, etc.. ondeed to never decay, hoarding in pve wurm is 1 of the problems, people like their things.

1 hour ago, Wurmhole said:

One and only one solution to the economy - more new players.  The longer people play, the more likely they are to skill up and be self sufficient in many areas.

Better starter tools won't help economy.

making tools limited use or disposable will just piss everyone off.

UBI (universal basic income) will kill Code Club.

Eliminating paying sub with silver will cause a ton of people to quit.

We just need more NEW people to join WO.  What prevents them?

1. They don't know it exists.

2. If they do see it, they see some really outdated graphics.

3. Most new players start on Xanalag.  Being told you chose the bummer server, after having invested in it can be a bummer.  Getting to Xanalag and finding it so sparsely populated can be a bummer (not for all though, some obviously prefer isolation).

So start a marketing campaign, update the graphics, starting with player models - make them sexy and appealing to all ethnicities! Provide a courtesy warning before joining Xanadu.

23 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

More new players doesn't 'fix' the economy.

It just provides more clients for the already established to sell to.

If anything, more new players = less pay for the already low leveled players, as they face increased competition.

More new players will definitely liven up the trade. And no, it's not the outdated graphics or lack of advertising. Nor is it Xanalag.

1. Xanalag probably cannot be fixed without raising the price Code Club pays for the server and simply moving it to a more stable and stronger environment.

2. Graphics haven't really changed through the years. We just have more and nicer models. This won't suddenly attract people.

3. Advertising will not work.

Why? Simply because Wurm is a niche game that takes a lot of time for new people to get accustomed to and they don't get enough help in the beginning to notice the full potential of the game and its best features.

1. Free trials for newbies.

You get some mind and body stats to 20 and then a window pops up asking if you wish to use your free 20 day long premium trial. Restrictions would include no affinity as I think this is enough to stop abuse. Apart from that a couple of low-end enchanted 70ql tools like pickaxe, hatchet and saw so they can see what it's like with better stuff.

2. Ease the start-up.

Your first deed ever? Here, take 2 silver coins off the initial cost but only if you bought prem already. Your first 8 hours in the game? Here, take increased crafting speed by 50% (if possible) so you can feel what it will be like at higher levels.

3. Starter town portals for non-prems.

Oh hey you're completely new to the game and started in Newspring but it turns out you completely hate it and didn't know it's a place where nobody goes. Use the town teleport and go to, I don't know, Lormere.

4. No trade chat.

I believe Niki said it broke price checks and trade. I agree - it's completely useless and a moshpit. Trade should return to beautiful topics on the forums and supplying the neighbours.

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

This. It clears out the problem of making the first prem. Medium to high tier players won't care about those flint tools because they'll be going poof all the time and that will piss us off. Very good alternative for newbies. +1 a lot.

2 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Trade is secondary. If you want to get started on premium, buy it from the shop.

The moment they take the option to buy prem with in-game silver is the moment I and a big part of Wurm's community are leaving.

Also keep in mind that a lot of money in Wurm's economy is in the vaults of high-end players that just keep it there to look at instead of making use of it.