Sign in to follow this  
Vortexxx

DNS Quick Fix

5 minutes ago, shamflam said:

I tried this but I can't save the line in the host file

it says i'm not authorized to add changes in there. I unchecked readonly on the sys32 map but it wont me save the changes to the host map for this reason.

I am logged in as administrator on the system.

Run command line as an administrator then navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ and edit hosts file

11 minutes ago, shamflam said:

it says i'm not authorized to add changes in there. I unchecked readonly on the sys32 map but it wont me save the changes to the host map for this reason.

You can right click the file before modifying it.  select properties, go to the security tab.   Select Users from the group or user box and tick the full control option. Apply and you will be able to save the file now.

Edited by MacOofer

3 hours ago, Jaz said:

If you know how to do it:

a working temporary workaround, you will need to revert it later when the issue is fixed!

On linux:

Go sudo and add the following line to /etc/hosts:

148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com

No need to restart network.

On windows you can find the hosts file at:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Simply add the above line. Not sure if you need to restart afterwards.

This will not mess with your global dns settings

worked for me no problem, thanks buddy

7 minutes ago, MacOofer said:

You have to right click the file before modifying it.  select properties, go to the security tab.   Select Users from the group or user box and tick the full control option. Apply and you will be able to save the file now.

yeh I did that but after I hit aply it just hops to the default setting

edit I managed to save the file for some reason I ahd to change the settings for all users, admins alone wasnt enough. My username was showing up both as administrator and as normal user .

I can log into the game now yay. Note I didn't change any of my dns settings

Edited by shamflam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shamflam said:

yeh I did that but after I hit aply it just hops to the default setting

Did you have the file still open?

For Windows, editing the host file itself worked for me. If you're having permission problems, easiest way is to copy it out of the folder, edit in the desktop with notepad, save, then paste back.

Unless it's administrator user.. it wont be allowed to change or replace anything in system directory..

Today I was able to log in with the workaround...

echo 148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com >> c:\windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

In start menu's search, type 'cmd', right click it when it shows in the list.. and run as administrator, than just paste the line above..

That does fix it for Release at least, can't confirm for other servers.

Edited by Finnn
typo

host files works great TY for the IP

for those struggling, find notepad in your start menu, right click it, and then click run as administrator (if a box pops up asking if you are sure, click yes).

Then click open in notepad, copy and paste the directory provided.

Click on host file and add line to the bottom.

Click save and you done, no reboot required on Windows 7 and newer (sorry XP people.. lol)

4 hours ago, shamflam said:

Copy hosts file to desktop

edit the copy

copy it back to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

I can do the change, but ya know what?  It is sunny and beautiful out today, so I'm going to enchant my grass (fertilize) and tend my garden.

• Like 2

For those freaking out:

DNS is literally a phone book, or some say a translation book, of addresses of all the internet.  When you go to a website, you type in "wurmonline.com" and it goes. But the internet doesn't work by names, it works by numbers (address). In this case the 148.xxx.xxx.xxx ip mentioned above.

DNS takes that name and literally looks it up and translates it to the numbers so the internet (with the help of all it's zillions of routers) knows where to send it. You can bypass DNS name resolution by putting in the address directly.

What is suggested here is modifying the file so instead of having a name, it has an address, bypassing the DNS. 

Why does DNS go down? Typically it's when there's a hardware/configuration change inside the address. It takes roughly 48 hours for all the internet to realize "hey, Bob was at 148.100.100.100, but now he's at 148.100.100.101, I should let someone know" and to pass that information to everyplace necessary. Sometimes the DNS server itself becomes corrupt. Sometimes someone gets in and changes something to intentionally cause disruption. Sometimes someone somewhere in the South Pacific sneezed at just the right time... 

So chill. It will be resolved. If you don't want to change your host file have a drink, tend your garden, walk you dog, or, OMG, go be around people.

If you can't do that, go play a different game until Tuesday ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

If you can't do that, go play a different game until Tuesday ;)

It IS Tuesday :P I can't go walk my dog or do something in my yard I'm stuck at my pc and Wurm is convenient to play between call's sadly no other games for me waiting patiently it's sunny here to but can't enjoy it till my shift is done...working at home is great but not always fun!!!

Hopefully things will be fixed sooner than later...Happy Wurming for those who chose to change the files and what not to play the game I'll wait till it's resolved -_-

But thanks for the clarification of a DNS ChamgagneDragon :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shagsangel said:

Hopefully things will be fixed sooner than later...Happy Wurming for those who chose to change the files and what not to play the game I'll wait till it's resolved -_-

But thanks for the clarification of a DNS ChamgagneDragon :)

I have a bridge started. Got it planned, went to dinner, figured I would be able to knock it out last night...

It IS Tuesday :wacko: I need more coffee...

Don't see a point in changing anything? Was working fine yesterday, was it not?  Seems like it's the game's issue. Not ours.

Maybe if someone made a full "how to do this" with printscreens and big red arrows pointing to where I have to do what, including the very first step of finding anything, I could do it.  I would also be able to retrace my steps in case it does not work.  There is no "quick fix" for me since I have no idea what I am doing :P 

Is the world still going on while people can't log in?

done in a pm.. forums are more fun with text, images are "complicated":rolleyes:

For the less tech savy, I made this video when I fixed the problem for myself. It's nothing dangerous, no worries. Just remember to remove the line written after the issue has been fixed: 

• Like 1

Yes Wurm still working for those who decides to switch things and do temporary fix they are enjoying the game while the ones who choses not change anything wait "patiently" -_-

Can confirm that Jaz fix works on Linux as well. Wondering if there are any Linux users besides me. :P

Edited by Eon

a few.. judging by the few screenshots I've seen around forums

Myself is a linux based Wurmian - this is the main reason I did not do a screenshotted windows guide :P

6 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Myself is a linux based Wurmian - this is the main reason I did not do a screenshotted windows guide :P

Cool, which flavour?

13 hours ago, Jaz said:

If you know how to do it:

a working temporary workaround, you will need to revert it later when the issue is fixed!

On linux:

Go sudo and add the following line to /etc/hosts:

148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com

No need to restart network.

On windows you can find the hosts file at:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Simply add the above line. Not sure if you need to restart afterwards.

This will not mess with your global dns settings

Worked for me in Mint - Thanks Jazz

I'm on the lazy noob's linux, Ubuntu. With gnome3 desktop though, not unity

Jaz, you're a life saver, if it was by me, I would award you a "Wurmian of the Month" title, maybe even a prize for a great service done to the community!

For now, you will have to live only with my thanks :D