Sign in to follow this  
Vortexxx

DNS Quick Fix

For anyone who isn't able to get online due to the current DNS issue  this will get you up and running aging

TCP20IP20Properties5B35D.png

If you do this, make sure to put it back when you're done. Don't go randomly changing your settings like this.

aye indeed, this got me back online to play but yes anyone who used this quick fix once they DNS message up top disappears then u can go back to  Automatic settings. but this quick fix works great.

You're also making an assumption about their subnet. This would break my setup, for example. It's fine to do this for a bit, just add some of this info to the OP so people who aren't used to doing this don't end up breaking things they're not equipped to fix. Thanks.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 1

That opening picture is really misleading - you should not be changing your IP address, or the related settings. It is only the DNS server that should be changed.

The suggested DNS server, 8.8.8.8 is a public DNS service run by Google.

57 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

This does not work for everyone

it used to work now it dont

So, unless we will  mess  with DNS settings we will not be able to play game any longer? :(

I just hope that it can be fixed otherwise as I really do not like idea to change such settings or mess up with something else in my computer system.

DEVS please let us know what should we do and when this problem will be fixed ?

Thank you!

If you know how to do it:

a working temporary workaround, you will need to revert it later when the issue is fixed!

On linux:

Go sudo and add the following line to /etc/hosts:

148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com

No need to restart network.

On windows you can find the hosts file at:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Simply add the above line. Not sure if you need to restart afterwards.

This will not mess with your global dns settings

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 14

4 minutes ago, Jaz said:

a working temporary workaround, you will need to revert it later when the issue is fixed!

On linux:

Worked for me (on windows). Does not required restart in my case, just saving file after editing.

Do not forget to delete the line after the dns problem is fixed. If you leave it in you will not connect if the server ip changes somewhere in the future...

1 minute ago, Jaz said:

Do not forget to delete the line after the dns problem is fixed. If you leave it in you will not connect if the server ip changes somewhere in the future...

I have noticed, that in this file I got also this line:

185.59.222.21 updates.wurmonline.com

I must have add it in the past but do not remember that.

This getting better and better, as I understood this problem is not going to be fixed ? Do we really need mess up with our system? So, unless I am network engineer or can hire one, I will not be able to play Wurm from now on ?

I found this "hosts" file but do not know which program I need to use to open it , where I need to add this line? When I need delete it? It is all very confusing to me :unsure:

DNS server propagation is usually hours  max a day only so just wait it will go fixed. Workaround is for the very impatient and for those who are familiar with such settings.

• Like 1

Ty Jaz! Now I feel better :) Just going to wait then.

16 minutes ago, Rhea said:

Ty Jaz! Now I feel better :) Just going to wait then.

you and me both, sweetie lol. I'm the village idiot when it comes to computers and how they function :P

• Like 1

When i do a NSlookup on  jenn001.game.wurmonline.com towards google (8.8.8.8) i dont get a result !

Anyway a Pub DNS corection shouldnt last that long unless they have put an unusualy long TTL on it.

well, did the hosts files magic trick and i'm back on wurm... good thing some of us remember the IP adresses tied to the domain names

Thanks Jaz!

Jaz workarounf works for me, but as I'm an IT technician messing with DNS and host files is something I usally do

DNS propagation can take up to 48h, that's the reason most of this changes (in business matters) are done on weekends

I hope their DNS or hosting provider can solve it quickly

Edited by Turmoil

1 hour ago, Rhea said:

This getting better and better, as I understood this problem is not going to be fixed ? Do we really need mess up with our system? So, unless I am network engineer or can hire one, I will not be able to play Wurm from now on ?

I found this "hosts" file but do not know which program I need to use to open it , where I need to add this line? When I need delete it? It is all very confusing to me :unsure:

Simply use Notepad or Wordpad, as usual with system files, works best, but if you had access denied you can copy the file on your desktop for example (other location than original), change the content/add the line, save it (not "save as") and copy to initial location: "copy and swap".

1 hour ago, dl said:

When i do a NSlookup on  jenn001.game.wurmonline.com towards google (8.8.8.8) i dont get a result !

Anyway a Pub DNS corection shouldnt last that long unless they have put an unusualy long TTL on it.

It is not just google that does not get a result - using a few DNS propogation checkers and nothing appears to have "jenn001.game.wurmonline.com" - except a DNS server in Brazil.

Looks as if somebody has deleted it...

Edited by Wulfmaer

3 hours ago, Jaz said:

On linux:

I tried this but I can't save the line in the host file

it says i'm not authorized to add changes in there. I unchecked readonly on the sys32 map but it wont me save the changes to the host map for this reason.

I am logged in as administrator on the system.