Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

[RELEASED] Smelt Purify Mod

Smelt Purify Mod lets you use a smelting-pot to purify lump qualities a the cost of the lump's weight. You can configure all the exact proportions like quality gained per action and weight lost per action. Metallurgy skill and smelting pot quality limit how high quality can be improved. (I used the default WU Skill.getKnowledge(smeltPot, 0) code to get this value.)

: Required :
Ago's WurmServerModLauncher. https://github.com/ago1024/WurmServerModLauncher/releases.

: Install :
* Get one of the archive releases, put the zip file into your WU server folder, and unpack the zip folder. The zip archive has a mods folder and it will put things where they go.
* Releases are on Github: https://github.com/Joedobo27/SmeltPurifyMod/releases

* Open the properties file and choose what options you want.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 1

My god...my old suggestion had become reality in WU...why can't we have this in WO?

hehe, you're not the first BaddBob. Although, I don't have a link to prove it.  I'm surprised there aren't more -1 in that suggestion thread. Quite a few people seem to like the general idea. I just did it because I dislike wasted low quality metal which just  literally just sits in a bin.

The biggest problem form mmo perspective, imo anyway, is resource depletion. I good mining toon can pop a iron vein in a day and folks would start doing just that if they could use it to trade up quality.

edit...

oh, my. when you do the math a 5 to 1 setting is an crazy amount of lump to go up say 70 quality points. I believe you just raise your setting to the power of desired increased quality points. so 5^70 is a big number, pretty much impossible to achieve. It looks like a good value for me is maybe 1.12 setting or less. 1.12^70 is ~ 2.8k lumps. That would mean a 30ql vein should be able to make a handful of high 90's ql lumps.

Here is another way to do it where I figure out the conversion ratio assuming I want 70 ql points to cost 1000 lumps.

x^70=1000
log base-x (1000) = 70
log 1000 / log x = 70
log 1000 / 70 = log x
log x = 0.04285714285714285714285714285714
10^0.042 = x
x = 1.1037155032027572401187958194173

This begs the question of whether I should change how the settings work. 

Edited by joedobo
fun with math and conversion costs.

I don't understand the maths. What would I set it to if I want a player to be able to increase a single piece of ore by 50 points using 500 lumps?

x^50=500
log base-x (500) = 50
log 500 / log x = 50
log 500 / 50 = log x
log x = 1.00.....already lost now, as I was simply trying to copy your equations above, lol

Help would be appreciated!  :-) 

If you're using Windows...

Open the calculator application, switch to Scientific mode.

Enter 500, then click the Log button.

Divide that answer by 50. (0.05397940008672037609572522210551)

Click the 10x button. (1.1323466513027153247007089600946)

Round it down to a few decimal places.

1.13 should get you close to the desired ratio of 50ql for 500 lumps.

• Like 1

Thanks Ricowan and joedobo, much appreciated!

I know this is listed as compatible with 1.3.1.3, but has anyone here tested it with 1.3.5.5?

Okay, my plan to do releases every other WU release isn't going to work. Instead I'll just support robust mods, and this one is such.

There is an update release on github, https://github.com/Joedobo27/SmeltPurifyMod/releases/tag/1.0.1.

Question?

Is it okay that the smelt action time is the same regardless of the lump's size? It's possible to scale up the action time in proportion to the lump's base size. For an iron lump that is 1kg, so a 64kg lump would have a time ~64 times longer. I seem nice that a player could do lumps one at a time for skill or do a combined bundle if in a hurry.

4 hours ago, joedobo said:

Is it okay that the smelt action time is the same regardless of the lump's size? It's possible to scale up the action time in proportion to the lump's base size. For an iron lump that is 1kg, so a 64kg lump would have a time ~64 times longer. I seem nice that a player could do lumps one at a time for skill or do a combined bundle if in a hurry.

I like this idea.

How does this work? I have a 50ql smelting pot and 39 skill in metallurgy. I activate the smelting pot and right click a glowing hot lump of steel or iron of various sizes (29-64 weight) and qualities (29-82ql) and I click smelt and the message I receive is "It makes no sense to smelt a lump. There would be no change." I assume i'm doing smething wrong.

edit: using default settings

Spoiler

# suppress inspection "UnusedProperty"
classname=com.joedobo27.smeltpurifymod.SmeltPurifyMod
classpath=SmeltPurifyMod.jar
sharedClassLoader=true

# Quality point unit increased for each action. Values can be decimals.
qualityIncrease=1.0

# kg weight unit ratio of  1 : setting. In other words, 10kg would become 1 kg for a setting of 10. Values larger then
#   64 can be used even know combining greater then that isn't possible. A 64 kg lump and 100 weightSmelted value would
#   make a 0.64kg lump. Values can be decimals.
weightSmelted=1.13234

# minimum kg weight a lump can be after a smelting. I use 0.5kg (it's the maximum improvement weight used) so players
#   can't smelt down to tiny weights that are advantageous to use when improving. Values can be decimals.
lightestResult=0.5

# Minimum action time in tenths of a second. This is a hard cap on the fastest time. Using tenths of a second, 1 second would be
#   10 here. Values can be decimals.
minimumUnitActionTime=10.0

# Action time modifier to make the smelt action longer. Values can be decimals.
actionTimeExtension=60.0

Spoiler

Edited by Mogi

@MogiI'm not sure why that is happening because it works fine for me. Although, I think I see where the problem might be. I'll make an update in a few days.

I'd like some feedback on ways to apply what this mod does with lumps to leather, rock shards, marble shards, wood, clay, and string-of-cloth.

The problem is I don't know what skill to use. Adding new skills isn't an option (bad bytecode stuff would be required, breaks the cooking affinity system). With lumps its easy because we have metallurgy. I don't want to use any of the other smithing skills because that creates a consolidation of skill a toon needs. The nice thing about metallurgy is it creates a substitute for mining or alternative way to get good quality lumps.

Back to the original question, and let's use leather, I don't know what skill should be used to improve leather quality. Butchering skill would not be a substitute and leatherworking is consolidation. 

Maybe NS? it doesn't have many uses besides dyes, HCs and blood pots, and most of those things are pretty natural substances :P

Maybe go a bit further, instead of using an item, use some other consumable resource that you apply to materials to improve QL.... for lumps it could be say "flux" that's made in some way with metallurgy. For leather - tannin makes perfect sense. etc.

@joedobo

The problem was mine I think. I was using an older version instead of the newest release, my bad.

I made a new release for this.

* Removed the minimum weight option. It's now equal to the lump's default weight.
* Changed smelting function to do fractional parts over time. It should work so no matter how you smelt it all works out the same.
* Added my standardized action time JSON options.
* Can configure the options without resetting the server. A level 5 gm must type: /SmeltPurifyMod properties
This will reload the SmeltPurifyMod.properties file.