Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Blueberry ink (blue) and lingonberry ink (pink)

Since we have berry bushes, specifically blueberries, please allow harvesting them then making ink out of the fruit.  Woad is scarce and linked to botanizing skill which is a pita to grind.  Other ways to get blue dye and pink dye would be awesome.  (Many people ask for woad plants but since we already have blueberrry, perhaps just introduce a new craftable item from there...)

14781019632_3d42fe6792_c.jpg

• Like 2

Coming from a land of blueberries and lingonberries, I must say that I never heard of a way to dye with lingon.

Blueberry is possible but that is more like staining the material than dying it.

-1from me for this one, more woad and random qls is what I'd +1

• Like 1

Cecci, if this was a real world I would agree.  But it isn't else we would be able to plant woad already...

or crush charcoal and make black, or use flowers or grapes to dye fabrics...

Also,  beautiful pinks here https://www.seamwork.com/issues/2016/06/dyeing-fabric-with-fruit

All the colours and natural dyes in berries/leaves/flowers can be found here (including blues and other colours) http://pioneerthinking.com/natural-dyes

And nice yellow and green here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-Made-from-Berries-Nature/

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 2

Woad able to be planted like the herbs or greatly increased drops for it. Getting woad is horrid. 

• Like 3

I rather see woad planters personally, but following wogic - you know how it is.

+1 I guess as long as it can be mixed.

• Like 1

+1  Why not have both more woad and blueberry dye?

Have them blend with the material differently?  Maybe blueberry dye gets absorbed into cotton/wool fabrics richly, but runs off a wood wall easily... whereas a woad based paint sticks to walls and non-porous materials better?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reylaark said:

+1  Why not have both more woad and blueberry dye?

Have them blend with the material differently?  Maybe blueberry dye gets absorbed into cotton/wool fabrics richly, but runs off a wood wall easily... whereas a woad based paint sticks to walls and non-porous materials better?

I like the concept but unfortunately the idea came about because we can't find enough woad or even woad of high enough quality to dye walls or carts or mix with other paints to make purples or richer pinks.  We need something that will give us enough blue substance to be useful in Wurm.  It will not really solve the problem of no woad if blueberry dye makes blues which can only be useful in certain conditions, we need blue dye for all purposes.  Actually, we need a way to farm woad, or get more blue to mix in with our other paints, or higher ql imping mats, so this idea was just something mentioned as an alternative since the paint system is very limited at the moment.

I would like to expand this suggestion and suggest a revamp of the whole paint/dye system.  Make different parts of items paintable, e.g. make sheets paintable separate to the rest of the bed, the sails of ships instead of the whole ship, a wall instead of wall and window frame (then we can paint window frames in other colours to the walls), make wheels different items to whole carts, create printing presses so we can stamp designs onto banners and flags, create tapestries which can be dyed, etc.  I believe the coding here would be complex but it would sure make for fun times in Wurm.

Providing we can farm woad or other blue dye materials, of course.

• Like 1

Would not need woad planters if blueberries could be substituted for woad. =p

• Like 1