Sign in to follow this  
Monkey

Hunting for pelts

Does anyone know a good spot in southern xanadu to hunt for pelts? I cant find any, anywhere.

In south Xan you are almost out of luck for hunting for one.   Try asking in Freedom or GL-Freedom if you have access to a mail box, lots of good people will send you one either free or for just cost of postage(1c).  

I was hoping to find a spot to hunt them because that was gonna be my contribution to our little group that has a deed all the way in the south, but it looks like if I'm gonna be the hunter guy that I'll need to gather it somewhere else and bring it back. :(

If you want to hunt for pelts, your best bet is zoning to another server or server hopping to north Xanadu. You can find pelts in the south, but most mobs migrate to the north for some reason so the south is generally light on mobs.

I can mail you a pelt if you are having difficulty finding any. I'm in South Xanadu myself.

• Like 1

Pelts usually come from wild cats/mountain lions, or a few others I'm currently forgetting.

I'm southern Xan also, and they are few/far between because of the devs lack of fixing the mob problem for nearly 2 years.

Like others said, it would be best to go north, or to another server to attempt to find some.

When I go out on my hunting trips, I usually ask in chat if anyone wants any decent ones (50 or higher QL) I manage to procure, but lately people have just been laughing at me, so I'm losing interest in asking if anyone needs one. I usually just end up selling them to the token. Doesn't seem like many new folks are in need anymore, and if they are, they aren't speaking up. If you need one, feel free to watch for my asking if anyone needs them in freedom channel.

Wildcats (weight 0.8 kg)

Lions and dogs (weight 0.6 kg) (not 100% sure on the number, but I think it's this - inbetween the other two anyhow)

Rats (weight 0.2 kg)

Seeing it's best to never take a pelt out of your inventory (because decays as soon as you do so), the weight-aspect can be important. Rats are most often seen underground (though they do spawn above also), the others mainly above ground, don't spawn often in caves though they can of course also have wandered in.

And yes, hunters living in the south are condemned (or allowed, depending on viewpoint :) ) to become nomads. Start looking halfway up Xan though, there are area's with a good amount of critters there too, at least in the west-half (not sure on the eastparts as to where the line is above which they become well-possible to be found - the trek of all that lives tends to be in northwest direction so the divide-line might be higher up in eastern parts). I find you don't really need to go all the way to the northcoast though.

And if hunting is your future: then it might be a good idea to aim for a knarr as soon as you reach the needed skill for sailing it. You can get where a rowboat can, and your hold is large enough to take along a forge, an oven, perhaps a cart, and lots of tools (plus enough space for storage in crates of meat, parts, cotton and whatever you need for whatever you are working on). This enables you to also raise other skills while 'nomadding along'. (And if you travel overland go for a wagon at some point, you can load a whole lot in those too - just go to an area you want to be, park the wagon and horses on a green spot, and do the hunting on horseback from there).

Edited by Kianga
  • Like 1