Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Embarking Bug, and Memory Leaks

Bug reports are an integral part of development in all all aspects, players experiencing issues can help us identify the causes by telling us the scenarios in which they happen, we can then identify what code is used in those scenarios and where it's going wrong.

When players report a bug, we ask for a few things, quoted from the bug report subforum here:

On 3/12/2011 at 11:32 PM, Manny said:

Three things every bug report should include:
# What happened
# What you expected to happen
# Steps to reproduce

Additional notes:
# If we cannot reproduce a bug it will take a LOT longer to fix
# Too much info is better then too little info
# All bug reports get read and checked out. We're not ignoring any bugreport. Some things just take a lot of time to fix, are of lower priority, or depend on the time of volunteer staff.
# Don't be afraid to bump old reports if they are still valid

Steps that lead to the bug happening are imperative to fixing the bugs, if we don't know what is being done at that time, we cannot identify why it is being done. When bug reports are inconsistent or not detailed, we often miss important aspects (such as this situation requiring a disconnect without leaving the world).

We have spent a lot of time working on replicating the scenarios players gave us, often it's one piece of the puzzle missing, and when a player provides that information we're able to replicate it and solve it.

If there are bugs or technical issues that affect you, always do your best to provide as much information in replicating it as possible, it'll go a lot further than passing the buck or blaming it on others.

• Like 3

does this fix also have any effect on the "crossing a border and being shown as in the water instead of sitting in the boat as a passenger" phenomenon? and as a result of that in the not-too-common being teleported back to the boat as a passenger even after disembarking and relogging?

On 5/26/2017 at 3:57 AM, Budda said:

See now this is useful information. More of this type of thing - if you have it happen to you often enough, try and figure out what steps you can do to reproduce it and let us know. The thing that's stopping us from fixing it atm is FINDING it, and I can't find it if I can't reproduce it at least semi-reliably locally. The above is new information to me, so i can use that to see if I can repro it after a reconnect. Anyone else that gets it regularly, can you also try and take note of when it happens - whether its after a fresh login or only after a reconnect like platinumteef. If we can narrow it down to specific circumstances, we can get this fixed a lot faster.

I don't know what causes it the first time, I've tried to reproduce it without luck. I do know that if I get it once, I'm likely to get it almost every time I embark on that character only. It doesn't seem to affect different characters on the same cart when 1 crashes, others don't. Time since relog doesn't seem to matter. Recently had someone tell me /lotime helped and the 1 time I tried it, it worked.