Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Embarking Bug, and Memory Leaks

You know when you try to embark or disembark a vehicle to get magically transported into vehicle purgatory? You know where you are forced to reopen a new game client?

Oh yeah and memory leaks where you're forced to open a new client? That's real fun.

Can you please focus your efforts on these for 2017?

Edited by Niki
  • Like 3

some of that might be related to this...
<j2se
            href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
            version="1.8+"
            initial-heap-size="512M"
            max-heap-size="1024M"
        />
it's in... http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

Even if you have 16-32gb ram.. your client could still 'crash' and spit it's tongue out.. complaining about memory

• Like 1

not sure how many times it has to be said that devs have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the embark bug to fix it and they can't and have been asking for any reproducible methods which will help fixing immensely.  it's not like devs can fix it but they aren't.  if it was as simple as making it a focus to fix it it would have been fixed a long time ago

also im not sorry for this but

59 minutes ago, Niki said:

Oh yeah and memory leaks where your forced to open a new client? That's real fun.

you're

• Like 3

I will say the embark/mount bug has vanished completely for me in the Unstable client... Aside from a few very minor graphical issues the Unstable client is more stable and out performs the current mainstream client.  Even the disconnect issue was solved in Unstable.

Might want to give it a go if you're not already.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

not sure how many times it has to be said that devs have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the embark bug to fix it and they can't and have been asking for any reproducible methods which will help fixing immensely.  it's not like devs can fix it but they aren't.  if it was as simple as making it a focus to fix it it would have been fixed a long time ago

you're

Also not a good habit to correct others for minor things all the time. It makes you come off as rude also. Edited it, happy now?

You think it's acceptable, I disagree. It's been a issue for a few years now ever since they tampered with vehicles. Remember when they actually followed slopes? Now they sink into the ground. Someone broke something along the way, you fix bugs not leave them be.

If they're incapable of fixing it, get a actual expert to fix it.

• Like 4

The embark bug is not reproduceable. Is not that we dont want to say how it happens: its just that nobody knows. It seems to be super random, and I personally have no idea what causes it. It doesnt happen everytime you board a boat, and the only visible action that causes it is boarding the vehicle/boat.

Saying there is nothing you can do to fix is is not acceptable, especially when you have a horde of Mongols (TC) chasing you and you board your boat to escape, only to find out you are bugged and need to relog for /lotime with enemies in local (5 minutes).

Its the difference between surviving, or loosing your scale. Its game-breaking.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Niki said:

You think it's acceptable, I disagree. It's been an issue for a few years now ever since they tampered with vehicles. Remember when they actually followed slopes? Now they sink into the ground. Someone broke something along the way, you fix bugs not leave them be.

If they're incapable of fixing it, get an actual expert to fix it.

you bring your car to the mechanic, tell him it makes a weird noise once every 10-15k miles and ask him to fix it.  he cannot fix what he cannot find is wrong

you take it to an expert mechanic, tell him the same thing.  he is magically better and finds what is wron-  oh.. no he cannot find it either

it's not a flat tire with a nail in it that anyone can find within 10 seconds and pull it out and fix.  you can call it acceptable or unacceptable, it doesn't change facts

edit: angel, you don't have to relog for /lotime as long as you don't try to disembark, just relog right away once you get the bug and it should be fine

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

you're

It seems to have a higher chance of happening if you are moving when you embark or standing still but moving the camera and embarking.

To avoid the bug its always best to stop all actions for a second before jumping on board.

It is so random when it happens its hard to reproduce, but if you are a very active player doing many different things you will have it happen very often. If a dev can't reproduce this or ever has it happen they are not playing the game.

I should add that I have never been able to reproduce this bug on purpose, but I have had nights where I have gotten the embark bug multiple times in a row while just being busy.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Was just thinking about how we used to have the embark bug on horses and carts.  I don't remember having the embark bug on those anymore since like maybe a year or two and now it's just ships.  I wonder if there is something related to that.  Like when (if) they fixed embark bug carts maybe the same issue with boats?

Devs have came out and straight up admitted it's something they want fixed, but really hard to figure out the issue.  So I give them credit on that.  SUCKS!!!!!  But is what it is......

I hope I just gave Keenan a clue and it gets magically fixed now.  If so I expect some sleep powder my way.  /sniff....

Edited by nicedreams

8 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Was just thinking about how we used to have the embark bug on horses and carts.  I don't remember having the embark bug on those anymore since like maybe a year or two and now it's just ships.  I wonder if there is something related to that.  Like when (if) they fixed embark bug carts maybe the same issue with boats?

Devs have came out and straight up admitted it's something they want fixed, but really hard to figure out the issue.  So I give them credit on that.  SUCKS!!!!!  But is what it is......

I hope I just gave Keenan a clue and it gets magically fixed now.  If so I expect some sleep powder my way.  /sniff....

Sorry, but it's not fixed on horses and carts; I still have it happen fairly often.

And I do know the devs are tearing their hair out with the embark bug, Budda's likely bald by now :P  They're trying to fix it, but the steps leading up to an embark bug seems to vary a lot, and at least I personally cannot say what the common denominator is.  If we/they could find that, maybe it could be fixed.

• Like 1

It happens when you move and try to embark for me a lot. Basically what Jake said.

I have it happen most often on wagons, but when I am using a wagon I am building and hopping on and off it a lot. 

It is not consistent, I can go 2-3 weeks without ever seeing the bug, then bam I will have it happen several times in a row.

It happens with boats, carts, wagons and horses, boats are the least and wagons the most.

43 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

Sorry, but it's not fixed on horses and carts; I still have it happen fairly often.

And I do know the devs are tearing their hair out with the embark bug, Budda's likely bald by now :P  They're trying to fix it, but the steps leading up to an embark bug seems to vary a lot, and at least I personally cannot say what the common denominator is.  If we/they could find that, maybe it could be fixed.

It would be faster if they just made new vehicle code if they can't figure it out.

13 minutes ago, Niki said:

It would be faster if they just made new vehicle code if they can't figure it out.

That would just lead to new bugs, I am sure they can fix it, just a matter of figuring it out.

• Like 1

Yet I've had it whilst standing still, having done nothing for the past 5-10 minutes and embark-bugging. Its random and inconsistent, sometimes it happens multiple times in a day, others go for a few weeks with none. I have never had it happen on a wagon, most on the boats and once or twice on horses.

Have you all been testing the distance from the center of mass of the vehicle to where your current position is?  If it's too far, and/or youre moving I have noticed it's the far reach to your seat that does the bug as well moving or not moving.

• Like 1

We have worked extensively within the dev team (and even with outside coders) to identify potential causes. The fact it occurs at random means we're looking for not just a needle in a haystack, but a needle that may or may not be in 100 hay stacks.

It's an ongoing process, and im sure it frustrates many, as it does us, it has zero to do with vehicle code, zero to do with movement code, even forcing lag doesnt cause it (especially considering it rarely happens to me with a 300ms ping)

We haven't given up, and we continue to test every suggested scenario extensively, but the cause remains elusive as ever.

• Like 4

I got those two bugs:

- when I got disconnected on the horse or wagon, then after login back, I cannot move (horse/vehicle is sort of stuck in the place). I need to disembark and embark again (it happens from time to time)

- when I cross 1 tile long bridge (between two buildings) on the horse/wagon I disembark, and every attempt to embark finishes immediately by disembark, repeatedly TILL I cross bridge back or go through some door (it happens often). It NEVER happens on bridges longer then two tiles.

• Like 1

ive gotten probably 70000000000 embark bugs in the last month, combine a terrible memory leak (yea sure ive got 64gb of memory and 400terabytes of it allocated to wurm, it still doesnt fix it) that makes you relog every 5 minutes of moving around the server with an embark bug that requires you to logout and leave world and its a pretty shitty experience

zero have been from fresh logins, literally every time its after I disconnect and reconnect without fully leaving world

its so predictable that when we take a 5 man boat to another server which simulates reconnecting without fully leaving the world, all 5 of the players suffer embark bugs 80%+ of the time until we force everyone to sit and wait 5 minutes logged out on an enemy server until everyone leaves the world

@platinumteefcheck the spoiler here..

Are you sure you're not lagging excessively to cause this to happen that often? What's your ping/latency to the server?

8 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

The embark bug is not reproduceable. Is not that we dont want to say how it happens: its just that nobody knows. It seems to be super random, and I personally have no idea what causes it. It doesnt happen everytime you board a boat, and the only visible action that causes it is boarding the vehicle/boat.

the only time i couldn't free myself of the embark bug without pushing the vehicle first.. is when i was on a slope.
also, not so long ago a simple client reboot would fix all the other instances, that's no longer true, ive relogged and it's still been there.
(although /lotime might have something to do with that)
one thing is for sure tho, the only time i HAD to unhitch and push a cart to clear the bug, was when i was on a slope between pella and nightmare lake. (deli)
Im not sure if this is relevant, but it may be. 

Edited by Steveleeb
compressed
  • Like 1

I've had the same thing happen to me 2 times I think.. 1 of them was ondeed, on a road.. cart just stopped moving and nothing helped(disembarking/embarking, relogging 3 times, pushing it, it was not damaged.. ql way over 60).. it just started moving on it's own after few minutes passed. (not a solo case.. had that to happen at least 1 more time.. but can't remember where)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrGARY said:

you bring your car to the mechanic, tell him it makes a weird noise once every 10-15k miles and ask him to fix it.  he cannot fix what he cannot find is wrong

you take it to an expert mechanic, tell him the same thing.  he is magically better and finds what is wron-  oh.. no he cannot find it either

except in this case you've bought the car from the mechanic that you see for fixes and you're paying a monthly service fee with or without fixes, and after 1-2 years the mechanic hasn't been able to fix your car, so what are most people doing? getting a new reliable car. I don't know whats more appalling here, the fact that you're calling a game breaking bug thats causing people to lose everything they own (see the multiple champ deaths that were a result of embark bug, or the countless other pvp deaths because of it, not saying pve deaths don't happen too, but i dont play there really so i dont know.) a "weird noise" or the fact that you think its only happening every "10-15k miles"(so what, 10 times throughout a 10 year period, you must be joking right?) when in reality it happens to people multiple times per day

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

@platinumteefcheck the spoiler here..

Are you sure you're not lagging excessively to cause this to happen that often? What's your ping/latency to the server?

I play on epic mainly and on chaos sparingly, chaos I stopped enjoying as much because when pvp happened and there were usually 20+people in local my client just crashed from lag with all of the settings on as low as they can go, similar to how the client performed back in 2013. (last time I was there 3 people from our group crashed as soon as the other enemies hit local) I just skimmed through the thread you linked, but with problems like this affecting multi-cluster and every server I don't think its latency related (especially since everyone I know has the same exact problems as I do, and like 3 or 4 i know live within 300 miles of the servers)

33 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

zero have been from fresh logins, literally every time its after I disconnect and reconnect without fully leaving world

its so predictable that when we take a 5 man boat to another server which simulates reconnecting without fully leaving the world, all 5 of the players suffer embark bugs 80%+ of the time until we force everyone to sit and wait 5 minutes logged out on an enemy server until everyone leaves the world

See now this is useful information. More of this type of thing - if you have it happen to you often enough, try and figure out what steps you can do to reproduce it and let us know. The thing that's stopping us from fixing it atm is FINDING it, and I can't find it if I can't reproduce it at least semi-reliably locally. The above is new information to me, so i can use that to see if I can repro it after a reconnect. Anyone else that gets it regularly, can you also try and take note of when it happens - whether its after a fresh login or only after a reconnect like platinumteef. If we can narrow it down to specific circumstances, we can get this fixed a lot faster.

• Like 3

Last time I had it I was visiting Malena's deed on Xanadu checking the significant fps drop around her place. I was relogging (no /lotime just a quick relog) several times with different client settings and alternating between stable and unstable client. The deed lag and fps drop was not real bad for me there except when on of my cpu cores got stuck on a process (not WO related), so it is to mention I had quite a system load for a while during the time.

I've ended up with the embark bug trying to embark my knarr - and it was not cleared by a simple relog afterwards but I had to go offline for /lotime.

Also it happened right around when the lights gone off for the daytime, I've embarked the ship before a few times without issues, the "client lock" happened just so as when I logged back after the 1min wait the lights that were on before were already off.

This seems to be in line with what Platinumteef mentioned.