Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Games with the feel of wurm?

3 hours ago, Postinglels said:

Many games use art and sound assets that are freely available on the web. So wat probl

Saltier Bacon

• Like 4

On 27/06/2017 at 2:00 AM, Darkshade said:

Checked out the trailer for Mortal Online. The rug at 28 seconds in looks almost like they just took the model from Wurm (fine meditation rug) :P

Never mind the rugs, those timber framed buildings in the thumbnails look a bit familiar! 

• Like 2

Rising World has a lot of similarities to early Wurm. It's not an MMO however, but more like Wurm Unlimited -- can be either singleplayer, multiplayer with a few friends, or public server.  They have a much much better system of generating random worlds built right into their launcher, than does Wurm. And you don't HAVE to use Steam (it's your choice). Those are thing I greatly wish Wurm offered.

Progress is sometimes a little slow (much smaller team than Wurm, mostly one guy,  and not nearly as long a history.) It's entirely hand coded programming and engine, from scratch, they are not just using a Unity prebuilt template and dropping assets into it type of thing, it's all original work. They don't yet have horses or boats, and individual player models are only JUST about to be implemented. But it does have one of the most complex and satisfying building mechanisms (once you move past the 'easymode" blocks and into the more complex "planks and beams" constructions.) None of the building are premade static models, you build each one unique a plank, beam or block at a time.  It probably has the closest terraforming to Wurm's system (except you remove small chunks at a time and not entire tiles at a time).   

if you want something that reminds you of Wurm's "heydey," this is not it as they have not yet caught up to 2010-era Wurm Online, and likely won't for years yet. But they are getting closer. it's however less competitive/aggressive than games like 7Days2Die or Ark:Evolved  and much more leisurely/laidback. So if you crave exciting ACTION, this might not be it. (Some creatures are very aggressive though you can also set the mode for that in options).

You will never have a Wurm style economy, which sounds like the thing OP mostly is looking for. There is no "market" for things like tools or weapons, and no money system. Sadly, no "skills" or material/crafting qualities etc. Everyone can make the exact same sword if they have some iron, and no one is any "better" than another at crafting. A little more like Minecraft in that regards. No 'grinding,"  which means it is missing Wurm's core addiction element. (If we didn't all love us a bit'o'grinding, deep down in our soul, we would not be in Wurm...)

Overall, more of a sandbox building game than an action multiplayer game. So people who like to sit in a spot with a stick and dig just to see where things go, might like this game.

Here is one of it's newer trailers (not yet showing the new character models), the very end of the video has more of its complex village building content, I love the frontier style waterfront town at 01:18, though there are lots of castle style and more modern options too:

Sneak peek at new character models here

I think once they get things like horses, boats and archery implemented, it will be something a lot of Wurm players like a lot. It also has a mix of "rugged frontier" with more modern elements, so I think there is also work on electricity generation, guns etc. But it will (likely) never be a FPS shooter game with machine guns etc. If you want a log cabin out in the woods with nothing modern, it's easy to stay immersed with the content.

The villages starting at the 01:18 or so time mark give an idea of how elaborate and creative the construction can be. The "planks and beams" extended construction system (moving past just stacking blocks and building 'minecraft style')) is probably actually more creative than Wurm's options. I am still getting the hang of it (some good tutorials here

I play it off and on for several years now (as I said, progress is slow), however it usually just makes me miss some of Wurm's greatly more extended content so I am usually back in Wurm again before long. (I miss my horses...)

But it can be a very nice minor distraction or change of pace. You'll probably end up back in Wurm though, I would guess it will be years and year before they reach Wurm 2011 standards and they will never catch up with Wurm's more recent breakneck pace of expanding content.

Wurm is still my favorite game. For better or for worse, I think Wurm will always be my main love in gaming.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Someone else may have mentioned it, but Ark Survival Evolved is pretty good, and has dinosaurs!!!

On 6/28/2017 at 6:05 AM, Firestarter said:

Never mind the rugs, those timber framed buildings in the thumbnails look a bit familiar! 

Ya I thought Wurm got a new graphic engine or something after watching this video.  lol

I remember when I tried this game out it had a lag in development and was stalled... now it has progressed in many ways.. I see multiple crafting tables and types of materials and chunk based physics.. as in digging and stuff... I am going to try again

Rising world is not too bad indeed, but has a bit of a minecraft feeling.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:12 AM, Matholameu said:

rugs.png

also the potato sac clothing, yet more ripped: 0:32

and the catapults at: 0:50

remember rolf saying he would be working on something else... i wonder if he is a dev in it. conspiracy theory maybe. 

Star vault is located in Sweden. only 4 hours from code club,,, so could be possible.  

Edited by polarbear

On 24-5-2017 at 5:13 PM, Radni said:

Looking for a game with the feel that wurm had, the whole map felt alive when it was at its peak. Traders all over, neighborly disputes etc etc, but the game felt alive. Never got that in another game except maybe EVE.

Thinking about the new Life is Feudal MMO? or Star Citizen once it has a game with it and isn't just a beta test.  EvE is too overwhelming for me lol.

What other games have y'all played/are looking forward to that have given you a similar feel to wurm? and preferably games Rolf doesn't own ;) 

Now people might say I am childish but I had a ton of fun playing Minecraft back in the day, the possibillities are endless, you can do way more then in wurm when it comes to building and you ahve economy servers where you can trade / sell your goods and compete to be the richest person on the server. Once you can look past the cubical graphics it turns out to be realy good.

Minecraft was originally designed for adults or the mature, hence notch came from wurm online. The reason minecraft feels like wurm is because its like its little brother in some ways. 

On 08/08/2017 at 8:08 PM, Slickshot said:

Someone else may have mentioned it, but Ark Survival Evolved is pretty good, and has dinosaurs!!!

The last time i tried playing Ark, it was populated by 1 tile foundations that prevented you from building anywhere.
(their version of a deed perimeter is vast)

Spoiler

Wooden_Foundation
Wooden_Foundation.png 

there was no limit to how many foundations u could build, so people planted them everywhere.
It's probably a great local server game to play in vr or between friends but a multiplayer public?.. not so much. 
Gorgeous game tho, the prettiest i've seen.
I still own it but don't know or care how it's evolved, the developers clearly had no insight into multi-player environments and were making it up as they went along.
Should you want to play it through vr, if your screen isn't running at the same res as your headset, you're going to have a nightmare with offscreen menus/mismatched resolutions (sections of the screen you can't reach),.. until you unplug the headset.
years later they still haven't fixed that  (bought in June 2015, release date listed as August last year)

Edited by Steveleeb

Chronicles of Elyria in development. If they pull it off. i'll be heading there, 

• Like 1

After seeing the mortal online i went and read reviews, and was instantly, though no way in hell, one of the reviewers only interest was in pvp players, or in his words "killing newbies" this for me was a huge no chance, i play survival games for the survival and building aspect, the creativity.. Not to get griefed by some clown, who wants to wreck all of my hard work, just so he can get his jollies off, thats why i dont play online.. PERIOD!!!