Sign in to follow this  
TheWildDog

Stutter

Hey, The Wild Dog here

I have been having problems with my Wurm Unlimited where the game seems to stutter even though there are no fps drops. I have tried everything that I searched on Google and remember not having this problem before I reinstalled windows and Wurm Unlimited. I believe I was able to fix this problem before this reinstall but forgot how I did it. I have checked task manager to see if there are memory problems or cpu problems and they seem to be fine. 

I have an FX-8350, GTX 960 2GB, 8GB of DDR3 and a 1TB drive. 

~offtopic~ It's a common problem for MC also...~~

Recently I tried another java cache cleaning flag.. which strangely.. made my client do that.. for the first time... I guess something bottlenecks your machine, could be HDD read speed or ram, not sure..

Ok, so I had task manager open and at any one moment Wurm will be using 1gb of my Ram and does not increase when it stutters, maybe there is something to do with a block from Ram to CPU. I know this wasn't the case before I reset my computer.

Edited by TheWildDog

Last login i was having issues when running 2 clients, I've done so for years on the same machine without issue. Last time when 2 clients were running i was seeing what appeared to be lag, grass going fast (gale), but jerky, progress bars stuttering, movement lag.

I have an i7, 16gb ram and an SSD so should be more than fast enough to run the 2 clients. As I said, I've never had an issue in the past.

This could be from hard ware failure. When a mother board starts to go bad it can cause this to happen or when a hard drive goes bad. It could also be a power supply not giving off enough juice and failing on it's rails. This can happen to a cpu as well.

Parts die over time in your machine they don't always just up and quit and die they can still run and perform but not at full which will make it hard to discover many times.

If you run your pc a lot or never turn it off and let it run all the time it always has a load on it and at some point it will die. The more you use your pc the shorter the life span of it's parts. Most pc parts have a life span of 3 to 5 years based on how much you use the pc. If you use it a ton and game on it all the time then when out of no where you have issue running a game don't blame it on the software every time. Some times you might see it happen after a patch this doesn't mean that it's the software it could just be bad luck that something new is being used in the game that was never used before which is asking for additional performance from your machine which now the event triggers. It would have never triggered before as long as this was not being asked for from the pc and it's hardware.

The persons first responce will always be I never had this happen before till the update.  I'd recommend testing your hardware cause sounds like to me you having stutter issues are having hardware failure. I can run 5 clients maxed out full graphic loads all on one machine while surfing the net and watching movies on another screen.

I recently had to switch out mainboards after 3 and a half years on my board cause the system started to hang here and there on specific games making it appear to be the game and there recent patches but it was the mainboard shorting out and not giving the efficient power to all parts to allow the game to run proper. The pc would crank up run fine unless I wanted to run a specific software that needed to use something other software didn't use. All while the mainboard was shorting out it still let me run Wurm just fine and yes I'd run up to 3 clients but it was only when I started to play Black desert online did I start to see the issue arise soon as this happened the problem started to get worse cause now I was using resources on my machine to run this game that wurm and other games didn't use so now the failure surfaced and allowed me to fix the real issue.

Now the pc runs fine again with no issues.

I have been building my pc's for over 20 some years now always custom built and you learn this over the years but you can not always tell when a part is going bad there is no warning or clear signs and with as many alpha games out today and patches to games and software it gets to be difficult to determine when the hardware starts to fail.