Sign in to follow this  
Thorakkanath

Horrible performance

Have you selected the right video card in your nvidia control panel?

Have u unparked your cpu cores?

19 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Have you selected the right video card in your nvidia control panel?

Have u unparked your cpu cores?

There is no such option in the nvidia control panel. the GPU choice is selected through the Virtu MVP Panel

CPU cores are unparked

1 hour ago, Darkshade said:

What fps do you get using the same settings as me? I'll add screens with setting info and system info. You got a much better system than me so using my setting if you get lower fps the problem must be somewhere else. Check that Nvidia controlpanel isn't overriding any graphic settings also.

Edit: Forgot to add that when I run Wurm on Windows with unstable client I get slightly more fps than what is showed here. Also there is not much around my deed, but when I go in big forests or around other deeds with many objects my fps sometimes goes down to 50ish.

Edit again: Just remembered from another game I had an issue where Vsync was added twice, only giving me 30fps instead off 100+. Force Vsync from Nvidia controlpanel got added on top of Vsync from game setting. I never have trouble with screen tearing so I never use Vsync, was just some default options that I forgot to change one time :D This happened when I was using Linux so not sure if it can happen on Windows.

System info

Wurm settings

Ingame screenshots with fps and AA on and off

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you,

using the exact same settings as you I get:

29-30 fps on AA16

29-30 fps on AA0

only difference is that in one case my GPU runs at 1.53 GHz (AA16) and the other time at 0.94 GHz (AA0) - but with the exact same usage of ~30% :) loads of power in that GPU left untapped

Thanks about the Vsync, it was set to on, i set it to off and I set the whole control panel to application controlled - didn't change anything but good hint

Spoiler

geSwjRX.jpg

Spoiler

WydL62a.jpg

Spoiler

zaLV55i.jpgZHTFNEV.jpg

Spoiler

yoiMDSk.jpg

Not quite as maxxed as I remembered.

• Tile Detail = Dense
  • Shadow Detail = Objects & Structures
  • Shadowmap Size = Medium
  • Water Reflections = Sky
  • The three render distances are Far rather than Extreme

Even so, unstable client looks absolutely beautiful on my system which is why I thought I had everything maxxed out.  Don't recall why I chose not to, but don't feel like I'm missing anything.

17 minutes ago, Reylaark said:
  Reveal hidden contents

geSwjRX.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

WydL62a.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

zaLV55i.jpgZHTFNEV.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

yoiMDSk.jpg

Not quite as maxxed as I remembered.

• Tile Detail = Dense
  • Shadow Detail = Objects & Structures
  • Shadowmap Size = Medium
  • Water Reflections = Sky
  • The three render distances are Far rather than Extreme

Even so, unstable client looks absolutely beautiful on my system which is why I thought I had everything maxxed out.  Don't recall why I chose not to, but don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Thank you for your time of taking all those screenshots

after adjusting the settings to match yours, I got: 29-30 fps.... 

You gave me an idea to check the unstable client though, and that yielded a net difference of.....zero....still 29-30fps

:)

I just remembered one more thing. In Nvidia control panel change Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance. I just ran a quick google search and when I saw that tip I remembered I did that on my Windows drive. On my FreeBSD drive it's always on maximum performance even if it's on Auto mode. Also check Windows power saving settings, I think that is Balanced as default.

Why only -Xmx2048m? With 16 gigs of ram I would put that on -Xmx8192m atleast. Dont expect it to help with fps much but will help with "out of ram"-choppyness.

@Darkshade

thank you for the tip, I will try it out, but being a desktop I don't expect it to matter at all really - will test nevertheless

@permo

hah, good spot, I haven't changed any setting for 5ish years, yeah I can increase that, but probably to 4096 just in case I want to run multiple clients :) 

6 minutes ago, Thorakkanath said:

hah, good spot, I haven't changed any setting for 5ish years, yeah I can increase that, but probably to 4096 just in case I want to run multiple clients :) 

Well 4 isnt enough, especially not with those settings, if you move around and play for a while you will experience the "mem leaks"-choppyness. I would instead make one client, with lower settings intended for multiple clients, with 2gig as you had before and one with high settings and 8 gigs as i recommended if you wanna play with high graphics. From my experience anything above 6 gigs seems to nullify the mem leaks and you wont even experience any choppyness even if you play for 10+ hours with traveling 

also @Saroman how can an 8-core fx320 oc'd at 4.0ghz, 16gb ram, 10krpm sata (yes not SSD, but oh well), radeon rx480 8gb graphics.... struggle to get 60fps... I should be blowing away this game.

35 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

also @Saroman how can an 8-core fx320 oc'd at 4.0ghz, 16gb ram, 10krpm sata (yes not SSD, but oh well), radeon rx480 8gb graphics.... struggle to get 60fps... I should be blowing away this game.

It's just like that at the moment. We're still working on optimizing the clients, but adjusting your settings is all you can do outside of changing JVM memory flags, which you already did.

As said before, fully disabling shadows and reflections works best as it has to render the objects again for those to work.

Turning down the animation settings can help if you're in a place with a lot of creatures around.

Still, it seems pretty odd that you get flat 30 fps and under - that happens practically only due to vsync being enabled, so maybe some of your graphics drivers still force enable it?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Samool said:

It's just like that at the moment. We're still working on optimizing the clients, but adjusting your settings is all you can do outside of changing JVM memory flags, which you already did.

As said before, fully disabling shadows and reflections works best as it has to render the objects again for those to work.

Turning down the animation settings can help if you're in a place with a lot of creatures around.

Still, it seems pretty odd that you get flat 30 fps and under - that happens practically only due to vsync being enabled, so maybe some of your graphics drivers still force enable it?

Just for the fun of it, I set everything to as low as it can go or off

And I mean low, i mean ABSOLUTELY lowest (lowest fov, lowest details everywhere) 

I am getting 85-87 fps, so no VSYNC limitations...but....man 85-87 fps???????

Sure I get 250+ fps looking at a cave wall or at the sky but....

needless to say it's unplayable

Edited by Thorakkanath

I decided to play around a bit with my settings to see what impact they do. You said you changed your Wurm settings to reflect mine so this might not help you, but just in case you missed this one.

In Advanced Graphics, Model loading threads was set to 3 in my config. I just tried to set it to 5 and see what would happen. It made me lose 50 fps

32 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

I decided to play around a bit with my settings to see what impact they do. You said you changed your Wurm settings to reflect mine so this might not help you, but just in case you missed this one.

In Advanced Graphics, Model loading threads was set to 3 in my config. I just tried to set it to 5 and see what would happen. It made me lose 50 fps

Thank you for looking still :D

yes - it would make you lose a lot of fps because your CPU only has 4 cores with 4 threads, so setting the config to 5 made it so that on one core you have 2 simultaenous model loading threads going on

I have it set to 5 as I have 8 threads, but just for good measure I have set it to 3 as well, with no difference in frames per second

• I've reinstalled the graphics drivers (complete uninstall in safe mode, then using display graphics uninstaller to get rid of all traces, then restart and reinstall and restarted again)
  • I've made sure the game is using the dedicated GPU (tested it on both for good measure, the intel HD4000 gets 4-5 fps at my settings)
  • I've created application profiles for both jawavs and jp2launcher in the nVidia control panel and made sure both run with vsync off and max performance - and all other settings application controlled AND made sure that the nVidia panel uses the program settings

So far from all my fiddling around, it went up from 24-25 fps to 27 fps.......

Do you have limit fps in background on? It's a long shot but try turning it off, maybe something is making the game think it is not in focus.

This game is made in Java.  Java is a jerk on computer resources.  Java 8 is waaaaaay better than older Java at least and it shows.  Wonder how Java 9 plays with WO or maybe it's too new?

On 6/2/2017 at 8:12 PM, Samool said:

I do get 58-63fps these days, but going near any spawn deed or market, basically anywhere people live it just starts dropping.   I will say, it's a HUGE improvement recently because I can go to rifts with medium shadows and medium reflections and get 40~ average fps.

Dev team is truly listening and doing a great job advancing the client.  I was at the point of deciding if I wanted to move on from Wurm do to poor performance but the last 3 months of optimizations and improvements have made wurm far more playable and interesting again.  Thanks for the hard work.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorakkanath said:
  • I've reinstalled the graphics drivers (complete uninstall in safe mode, then using display graphics uninstaller to get rid of all traces, then restart and reinstall and restarted again)
  • I've made sure the game is using the dedicated GPU (tested it on both for good measure, the intel HD4000 gets 4-5 fps at my settings)
  • I've created application profiles for both jawavs and jp2launcher in the nVidia control panel and made sure both run with vsync off and max performance - and all other settings application controlled AND made sure that the nVidia panel uses the program settings

So far from all my fiddling around, it went up from 24-25 fps to 27 fps.......

From 3 months of testing experience, the nvidia and radeon profiles per application have zero effect in wurm or any java application.   No matter the setting I chose or override I made on my graphics card's side of things, I saw zero change in wurm... it's not worth going that route imo.    Also, have you turned anti-aliasing completely to 0?  It's a terrible drain on wurm performance, doesn't play well like other games.

Random question, but if it's recommended I set model loading threads equivalent to the number of cpu cores... why does it jump from 5 to 9?   I've not seen 5 or 9 core cpu's, where is 6 or 8?

Color me confused.

10 hours ago, Aeryck said:

Do you have limit fps in background on? It's a long shot but try turning it off, maybe something is making the game think it is not in focus.

I have checked all the time if there is some sort of limiter enabled, there is none. Proof is that on lowest possible settings I get 85 fps that is higher than my 60Hz refresh of my screen

But if you have a specific location you want me to look, please let me know

9 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

From 3 months of testing experience, the nvidia and radeon profiles per application have zero effect in wurm or any java application.   No matter the setting I chose or override I made on my graphics card's side of things, I saw zero change in wurm... it's not worth going that route imo.    Also, have you turned anti-aliasing completely to 0?  It's a terrible drain on wurm performance, doesn't play well like other games.

Adding javaws and jp2launcher to the nvidia control panel DOES do something. If i turn AA off there, no matter what AA settings I have in the wurm client, the GPU will not do AA (you can see that from the jaggedness of the outlines)

I have said previously in this thread that I tested AA, and because AA is  dependent on the GPU horsepower (and me having loads of that) - the difference between 16 AA and 0 AA is....ZERO, I get exactly the same identical FPS

9 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Random question, but if it's recommended I set model loading threads equivalent to the number of cpu cores... why does it jump from 5 to 9?   I've not seen 5 or 9 core cpu's, where is 6 or 8?

Color me confused.

For me it makes a bit of sense, it's always all your cores without one. There are 6 core and 10 core cpu's around - and one core should be seen as a 'service' core. I don't understand the 2 or 4 thread settings though...maybe at such low power cpus you do want full utilization...? no clue

Something else I noticed:

the biggest impact on the FPS is the time of day

During (some parts of) the night I get in my benchmark spot 26-27 fps

During (some parts of) the day I get in my benchmark spot 43-45 fps

IRRELEVANT of AA settings

IRRELEVANT of stable or unstable client

anyone else has ideas that I haven't tested already in this thread?

14 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Color me confused.

That's an error in display, it actually is 1-2-3-4-8 threads. Will be fixed next client update.

The difference in fps during day and night is normal, lamps turn on at night, and lighting slows the game down.

A remedy for this is the max dynamic lights setting in unstable client.

• Like 1

officially 2 weeks since this thread was started

any developer would like to have a look? for debug/future improvement purposes of course, not just for me personally - but for figuring out a glaring performance issue somewhere in (obviously) many higher end systems

PS: ran the Uniengine Heaven Benchmark in Ultra settings with Tesselation to Extreme at Full HD and got avg. FPS of 95.7 - so the gpu is working as intended. Played War Thunder and Cities Skylines all on max (ultra or above) settings on 1080p at 130-340 fps. So the system is properly configured and works as expected.

Edited by Thorakkanath

Try uninstalling the Virtu MVP thing, seems to cause issues and worse performance for many titles so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason.