Sign in to follow this  
Attenia

New animals and/or functions of existing ones

It would be really great if we could have some new tameable animals added to Wurm. Here's a list of things I'd love to see new lairs for:

Badgers (can help players dig when tamed)

Moose (rideable, hitchable)

Salamanders (rideable)

Polar bears (winter spawns)

Snow leopards  (winter spawns)

Phoenixes (must be kept inside a house with a roof if you want to stop them flying away, have healing powers when tamed)

Panthers

Ducks/swans

Doves

Flamingos

Sea horses

Foxes

Rabbits

Minotaurs

Raccoons

Monkeys

Camels (spawn in deserts)

Pangolins / armadillos

Bats

Beavers

Pandas / red pandas

Mammoths

Owls
Mini dragons (smaller, cuter versions of normal dragons, not nearly as strong and can be tamed and penned without bashing fences; maybe give tiny amounts of loot; can be bred like normal animals)

Fairies (prettier versions of goblins, with wings but maybe can't fly)

Goats

If adding animals is going to be too difficult, it may be easier to change current animals so that they have more functions or variety in the game.

Option one: Let more animals spawn from lairs (thus giving champions and other conditions) and bring back old animal lairs that have been missed since they stopped spawning. Here are my ideas:

Dogs (bring back lairs)

Deer (bring back lairs)

Tortoises (new lairs, plus increased spawns)

Pigs (new lairs)

Sheep (new lairs)

Hens/roosters (new lairs)

Pheasants (new lairs)

Hell hounds (new lairs)

Lava fiends (new lairs)

Better yet, let all animals spawn from lairs!

Option 2: Let more of the current animals be tamed/charmed or dominated. Suggestions:

Spiders (tame/charm)

Lava spiders (tame/charm)

Whales (tame/charm)

Anacondas (tame/charm)

Dolphins (tame/charm)

Octopi (tame/charm)

Huge sharks (tame/charm)

Sea serpents (dominate)

Option 3: Make or bring back more types/colours. Ideas:

Unicorns (multi-coloured for different conditions)

Dogs (different breeds)

Cats (different breeds, including a non-aggressive house cat (white and fluffy) that can eat fish and meat from unlocked fsbs)

Wolves (different colours)

Dragons (different colours: gold, pink, purple, silver, etc.)

Option 4: More conditions. Maybe make these apply to animals that don't spawn from lairs rather than animals that do.

Speedy: extra speed trait, like fleeter movement.

Ghostly: can move through walls like fog spiders, though maybe make it just certain types of walls so they don't become a complete pain.

Super: champion size but without the extra strength, size applies to rideable animals too.

Shy: flees from people like bison, hard to catch.

Rare: shiny like rare objects.

Helpful: has a random chance of repairing nearby objects.

Fertile: males and females can pass on the trait rather than just females.

Docile: non-aggressive even for animals that are normally naturally aggro.

Chameleon: blends in with background (not including outline, and maybe make the blending not perfect so they're not completely invisible).

Option 5:  Bring back the lighter colours for conditioned animals! It would be great if each condition had its own subtly different colour, but if that'll be too difficult, I'd be happy to have them back to being slightly lighter than normal - it makes them more interesting and easier to spot.

Option 6: Make Christmas animals a yearly thing! I'd love to see more French hens and ring rams, plus some new ones! :)

Additional idea: Create some common, non-aggressive animals that can be killed with low FS. That'll be helpful for new players.

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 9

Do you want something specific or just to fill every tile in the wild with all kinds of creatures?:blink::unsure:

• Like 1

There is no need for more species atm. Bestiary now needs more quality instead.

Lairs are a bonus but I would stick only with lair buidling species, like pheasants.

Besides dolphins and whales the animals on your list are simply too dumb to be tamed. Are dolphins not yet tameable?

+1 for some additional traits and colours. For dogs for example they could introduce a herding trait which makes the dog move grazers of packed/short grass tiles to other tiles.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chlodovech said:

+1 for some additional traits and colours. For dogs for example they could introduce a herding trait which makes the dog move grazers of packed/short grass tiles to other tiles.

+1 for the +1

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

Do you want something specific or just to fill every tile in the wild with all kinds of creatures?:blink::unsure:

Yes. Yes she does. 

Ah, all these suggestions are clearly becoming counterproductive, considering some of the above remarks.

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

I want all of those things specifically, though I don't imagine the devs would add that many new features. Hopefully a couple of them may be picked, though :) I don't see it resulting in a higher concentration of animals on tiles in the wild. Some of the other animals would probably have to spawn less to make up for it so that the servers don't go over their animal counts, but things like scorpions and crocodiles are so common that I don't think that would really be noticeable.

4 hours ago, Chlodovech said:

Besides dolphins and whales the animals on your list are simply too dumb to be tamed.

I don't think the taming system works on how smart the animals are. Chickens are one of the dumbest animals on the planet and they can be tamed. I love dogs, but I can't see them being more intelligent than anacondas. Snakes are smart, right?

Edited by Attenia
  • Like 2

Raising both hands for the foxes and rabbits +1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Attenia said:

Ducks/swans

ducks, frogs, crickets, i hear them but i don't see them.

there's no need to overpopulate, that's a pretty brunt way of perceiving this suggestion. 
just reduce what there is and replace those numbers with the new. 

that said, i kinda lean towards Chlodovech's comment, quality not quantity, evolve the beasts that we already have. 
im still giving a self-contradictory +1
:)

• Like 3

i'd also love to see crates fit corpses. pretty please?

• Like 1

:blink::blink::blink: like.. being able to put creature corpses in crates?

Or pvp decoratives to brighten the atmosphere with enemy's remains...

5 hours ago, Arium said:

i'd also love to see crates fit corpses. pretty please?

-1 to new animals, And i think deer lairs already exist. I saw a mission one day that asked to slay a champion deer traitor (possibly staff spawn?) But +1 to any new animal functions. Many games no longer appreciate the idea of good AI

2 hours ago, Yiraia said:

-1 to new animals, And i think deer lairs already exist. I saw a mission one day that asked to slay a champion deer traitor (possibly staff spawn?) But +1 to any new animal functions. Many games no longer appreciate the idea of good AI

Champion deer exist only because they are bred. They don't spawn in the wild anymore; all the lairs were removed years ago.

18 hours ago, Attenia said:

I don't think the taming system works on how smart the animals are. Chickens are one of the dumbest animals on the planet and they can be tamed. I love dogs, but I can't see them being more intelligent than anacondas. Snakes are smart, right?

It should. Chickens are actualy quite smart, they have even been observed using machiavellistic methods in social behaviour. There is no such thing as a smart reptile, they have all tiny brains and a severe lack in social skills. If it cant be tamed irl then it should not be tameable in game is what I mean.

This reminds me a little bit of the recent suggestion about dogs in particular, so I'll link it for reference:

Budda mentioned some work he's done on creature AI during his free time in the May Roadmap.  I think it may be mostly related to combat ai(?), but still.  It may not be a big jump from that to other functionality once the ground-work is laid out.  Or at the very least a smaller jump than before he dug into that part of the code.

From the new animal list, I'd be partial to Snow Leopards.  I had one of the transparent ones in WoW and loved that thing.  Also rabbits, for cooking purposes.

To some extent, creating new animals would be mostly art team, right?

I presume working on animal ai would be another department, but not sure.

I do think expanding the current functionality of the animals we have, and the taming system in general, would be very very cool.

I'd also like to see sort of a "dog house" or "stable"... anything we could check in one tamed pet and pull out another.  Considering we can only have one pet at a time, that would still allow us some variety just for the fun of it.  May not be very wurmish, in a sense, but don't ask me to choose between a snow leopard and a dog :unsure:

I'd suggest they write in the code so other animals can use the color system like horses and hell horses but there own color system.

• Various cow, bull, and calfs colors
  • Various spider colors
  • Various wolfs including snow wolfs in winter time
  • snow leopards in winter
  • Various rat colors
  1. Different strengths
  2. different speeds
  3. etc....

I've showed in the past that they do fit very well in WU example below

wurm.20170414.0232_zpsvf39rqc3.jpg

wurm.20170414.0239_zpsstu9s6i9.jpg

Stuff like this makes a huge difference in WU when roaming around and it would in WO as well.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:08 AM, Attenia said:

Moose (rideable, hitchable)

+1