Sign in to follow this  
Davih

Gardening Nerf?

Honestly, i don't even know why i decided to raise one of the most useless skills in the game.

i tought trellies had at least this perk of being always harvestable at full yield, so even if it was basically just for Grapes (others are either useless or kinda-useless), i tought to give it a shot.

I kinda hoped to see new trellis introduced, to make the skill more viable, as having really high ql spices is not so useful for most things, as you can literally spam dozens of high ql crops to average the QL on the most useful kind of foods (or beers- etc)

Well, instead, in a game where it almost never happened to see a single skill nerfed, gardening got heavily nerfed with the aging of trellies.

Now i just wish even that i had never touched that skill and raised forestry instead.

Why would i ever want to craft grape trellies if they behave in the same way as a bush does?
To save space? come on.
There are lots of places with thousands of grape bushes that nobody ever harvest, you can't really think the perk of placing 4x tile is cutting it for turning it into a useful skill.

We are talking about a skill that probably doesn't even count 10 people having it higher than 80, and now it's even less appealing than it was before.

What the hell? lol.

Edited by Davih
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davih said:

Why would i ever want to craft grape trellies if they behave in the same way as a bush does?

to raise gardening skill without having to go out and garden - by improving trellises? That's why I have them, and I wish forestry had something similar.

• Like 4

Just now, Xalorum said:

to raise gardening skill without having to go out and garden - by improving trellises? That's why I have them, and I wish forestry had something similar.

o.o

So you're telling me gardening skill is useful because you can craft and improve trellies to raise gardening?

If forestry had something similar, they could just plainly delete gardening skill from the game and make forestry work for both

23 hours ago, Niki said:

leave gardening alone :(

You mean as it is now or as it was before? : p

Uh there was a nerf?

If you want to use herbs you need good gardening skill, trellis's are important for hops harvest, grapes well think about it, 4 trellis per tile as opposed to 1 grape vine, so you could potentially have up to 16 fruits per tile, 20 if you plant a grape vine.

okay this is lame

I did not realize they nerfed trellis's 100% 

so lame

yeah throw out your grape trellis's (save your deed's fps at the same time) and just stick to the mass's of vines in the wild

the wurm fun police are back hard at work it seems, wtg

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Trellises were always intended to have yield based on ql, but that was changed to aged. With the introduction they'll all be young, and once they reach the higher ages you'll be able to manage them and keep them at very old, meaning maximum yield. 

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Trellises were always intended to have yield based on ql, but that was changed to aged. With the introduction they'll all be young, and once they reach the higher ages you'll be able to manage them and keep them at very old, meaning maximum yield. 

What does that mean?

Like with a single-time setting?

Or like having to prune them constantly or anything else that would become a massive chore?

5 minutes ago, Davih said:

What does that mean?

Like with a single-time setting?

Or like having to prune them constantly or anything else that would become a massive chore?

10 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

"Manage and keep them"...sounds like the 'a lot of work' option :s

11 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

its a nerf

having a trells farm was never meant to be fun, it is supposed to be a tedious chore that no one will enjoy at all

They will be able to be pruned and kept from getting overaged, otherwise they will behave exactly like the bush tiles, with an obvious benefit of being more compact.

Sigh.

From my experience, "a lot of work", like building a caravel. is something that i can easily manage.

While having to do massive and repetitive chores (like pruning things periodically) is just the sort of "upkeep work"  that is boring as hell, and most likely to strip me of the fun and the will of keep playing the game, so i learned to avoid it as much as possible.

The fact that gardening (that was already a chore of gathering things once a day/year) became even more a chore is just plain bad.

I will probably abandon my trellis.

I honestly see no reasons for this nerf, why would anyone want to choose skilling gardening over forestry?

It was already a bad choice, since with trellis you could only harvest really a few things (grapes / hops except you would never need more than a hundred / roses? what are they even for)

now it became even less considerable, imho.
This great "perk" of being compact is not something most people would care about, since, as i said, there are a lot of wild spots with thousands of grape bushes which aren't even contested.

Edited by Davih
  • Like 1

They are still much more compact than grape bushes, and keeping a grape farm in very old would be the same amount of effort, leaving them to grow naturally would have the exact same effect as a wild grape patch, the only difference is travelling to it 

• Like 1

I'm curious now, will a trellis go past overaged to withered? And if so, what happens to the trellis?

Overaged doesn't bother me, easy enough to prune at harvest time. Withered, however, is a massive annoyance.

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

They are still much more compact than grape bushes, and keeping a grape farm in very old would be the same amount of effort, leaving them to grow naturally would have the exact same effect as a wild grape patch, the only difference is travelling to it 

So are you saying is the only benefit at all of the skill is the ability to make an item that does exactly the same thing as the bush, only more compact: something no one cares about?

...I see...

*Adds to the list of things not worth leveling*

18 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

So are you saying is the only benefit at all of the skill is the ability to make an item that does exactly the same thing as the bush, only more compact: something no one cares about?

...I see...

*Adds to the list of things not worth leveling*

Pretty much the exact same as it was before. And hops

Grape bushes are horrible to look at and grow like a particularly virulant weed. I can see why one would prefer trellis.

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

You literally need 1 hops to make 64kg of Beer, and not even all kinds of beer, QL is irrelevant cause you put 50x100ql grains and it averages.

So much for hops usefulness :D

Grape bushes are horrible to look at and grow like a particularly virulant weed. I can see why one would prefer trellis.

I actually don't dislike grape bushes, they are one of less visual-denying bushes of the whole game, i can't say they are pretty, but i kinda like them, so i guess that's more about tastes.

And, to be honest, i can't really think about raising a skill almost for the only purpose of having a nicer and more compact-looking grape farm : D

Edited by Davih
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It must be on everyone's mind, why? Why the change, was there some reason for it?

Other than making something more of a chore was there a single valid reason for doing this?

Will the trellises wither? Additionally to the tedium of pruning all the trellises constantly (is there an action going to be added where clicking on the ground prunes all the trellises on the given tile?)

how about the eyecandy trellises which are planted for aesthetical reasons on deeds? Will those wither away on the walls without constant time paid to keep them up? That sounds bad and a step against the path where decorations on deed take no damage anymore.

Ivy? Rose? They have no use, no product but sole decorations.

Edited by Jaz

My guess is it was in line with the Almanac to make everything more standarized and the almanac more useful. But to be honest, they shot in the head an already poor skill. They took Gardening out back and shot it.

• Like 1

Would still better to remove the harvest option again from the trellises and keep them as decorations, seriously.

i don't think they will wither, i think they will "die" and be reborn as young, like bushes do (or at least i hope so, lol).

Still, harvesting them will become as much a pain as gathering bushes, except you will have to craft these things that will be inactive or give reduced-yeald for most of the time. To get low ql products, if you didn't raise gardening, and at this point i'm wondering why would anyone want to.

Even the spices part gets overkilled by foraging/botanizing (that  some people actually skilled) , since it provides all the existing plantable spices plus many unique and non-plantable ones, rare coins and other useful things.

That is an item, not a bush/tree so I'm quite sure will not respawn. So go again, make the trellis, imp it up again, plant it and best to keep an excel sheet with the timings to when to prune what and where.......