Sign in to follow this  
cccdfern

Alphabetical sorting in windows

It's been suggested a few times, that inventory & container windows should keep either to their last order or be alphabetically sorted each time you open it for simpler management. And to quell those who don't want it, it should be optional to enable and default disabled. 

Previous topics:

• Like 2

I'd just be happy if it remembered my sort order, but I understand tracking that across every container on every player on every server is probably a bit cycle consuming.

AFAIK the "random sorting" was deliberately introduced long ago to prevent macroing. 

Edited by Yaga

thanks for the insight i did not know that

Edited by Steveleeb

Containers have IDs right?

These could be saved locally.. in config.. and maybe.. have an option to clear that list somehow.. with a click..... as some players might travel a lot... or just have a ton of bsbs they could access... and eventually have troubles ^^'

so.. option to turn saving of container's sorting method - on/off..

and an option to clear that list, maybe.. showing a number of currently saved IDs/containers/, (if a performance issue arises... player could see the number and clear the list.. see if that helps...)

if it's On.. it should add every ID and last sorting method for every container that have been opened and had it's content sorted by name or QL, etc..

On 5/20/2017 at 0:14 AM, Yaga said:

AFAIK the "random sorting" was deliberately introduced long ago to prevent macroing. 

If that's true, then I'm at a complete loss to see how it would be effective since clicking on the "name" header sorts it alphabetically. So wouldn't a macroer simply click the header first?  But then I know next to nothing about programming and zero about macroing so maybe there's something I'm missing there?

Meanwhile, those of us who like to arrange our inventory a certain way, and not alphabetically, have to rearrange it every time we log in because it's been scrambled again.  The saving of our preferred inv arrangement has been asked for, begged for, in many threads, for as long as I've been playing.  For some reason, this particular annoyance continues to plague us.

+1 (yet again, lol) to saving our arrangement when logging out or getting disconnected.

On 5/20/2017 at 10:14 AM, Yaga said:

makes no sense.. if somebody automates something.. they're going to manage the amount, type, etc.. of items that are in a container... if the window is not with saved position.. and it's with fixed size and always opens in mid of the screen, that is a precise position already *facepalm*

it is not stopping anybody to do anything, if anything it's already set to help them as it is, and just annoys the normal players

On 5/21/2017 at 10:39 AM, Amadee said:

If that's true, then I'm at a complete loss to see how it would be effective since clicking on the "name" header sorts it alphabetically. So wouldn't a macroer simply click the header first?  But then I know next to nothing about programming and zero about macroing so maybe there's something I'm missing there?

Meanwhile, those of us who like to arrange our inventory a certain way, and not alphabetically, have to rearrange it every time we log in because it's been scrambled again.  The saving of our preferred inv arrangement has been asked for, begged for, in many threads, for as long as I've been playing.  For some reason, this particular annoyance continues to plague us.

+1 (yet again, lol) to saving our arrangement when logging out or getting disconnected.

because logs will easily show someone randomly clicking the name header to resort, for no apparent reason.  Seems it is a pretty good flag there.

well we already do have fixed window positions saved locally, so adding onto that by having a default sorting, eg alphabetical, imping and possibly a toggle imp column yes/no setting could probably be doable.

maybe something they could consider for the new UI?

• Like 1