Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Set permissions to a specific TILE (inside of deeded area)

As I continue work with the Ultima Nostalgia project (in which the entire server is one huge deed), I'm getting more and more requests on YouTube and elsewhere from people who would like to live in their own house on the server. I suspect that a lot of these people are Ultima players who have never tried Wurm before but who would be willing to buy Wurm Unlimited to live in a place that looks like UO and is populated by other Ultima fans. Obviously, since they've never played Wurm they don't really understand how deeds work. So I've tried to explain the problems of letting them live there. 

This got me to thinking about permissions. We can set permissions to houses, carts, boats, fences, mounts etc. But what if we could right click and set permissions to TILES that are within one's deed? This way, deed owners could:

• Create various empty plots - allowing "anything goes" so players could build a house from ground up, farm etc and anything they wished - so sort of like a mini deed inside a deed.
  • Create a public mine that allows players to mine and pick up ore, but doesn't allow them to load a forge onto a cart
  • Create wood chopping forests, keeping the forests and trees of the rest of the deed safe. 
  • Create public farming land
  • And I'm sure there are many uses that I'm not even realizing at this point
  • It would be up to the deed owner to mark these areas somehow with fences or signs

Right click tile...

manage_tile.jpg

Set permissions from a popup

• Coordinates of tile can be seen in the title to ease remote management
  • Tile could be named to better keep track of which set of tiles (Plot 1, Plot 2, Public forest, Public mine etc) they belong to

tile_permissions.jpg

PS: Before posting this, I checked to see if there were any other similar posts, and I'd just like to point out that Enigma_Prime is suggesting something similar. Please go and check out Enigma's post as well. I decided to make a separate thread about this since what I'm asking for is slightly different, has different mechanics etc

• Like 15

+1 Ive thought about this before, and how convenient it would be to be able to make like "zones" in your deed that have their own set of permissions.

• Like 2

DEEDCEPTION!

Deeds within deeds within deeds....

Maybe tho... use shop-sign(the kind with masonry icon)+merchant npc.. to show that there's some npc with a deal/offer.. selling land there, unless it's UO themed to see a sign, which remains there until the land is bought.. etc etc etc..

+1

• Like 1

Might consider posting this in the Requests sub-forum of the WU forum?

Would have benefits in WO as well, of course.  Just wonder if WU modding would be a quicker option.

Cool project btw!

• Like 1

+1 most definitely :) It would bring so many new possibilities.

• Like 1

+1. This would solve so many problems (mainly user generated) but still, this control over your land would be a magnificent addiction to the game.

• Like 1

+1

Yes! We need exactly this! And expanded permissions over buildings would be lovely as well.

Picture this: Someone is trying to build a cathedral where priests of all faiths can come and perform sermons.  As it currently stands, if this is done on their deed, they risk people casting various spells that could destroy areas of land, seal off tunnels or blast open mines, remove reinforcements in tunnels, speed age crops to oblivion.... and many others.  Add to that the Path tiles that could be destroyed by careful use of enchant grass or other spells.  If we had more control over what permissions could be set where on deed, we could have more thriving and active community deeds instead of a mass of mini deeds intended to control the abilities of visitors and protect ourselves from people who don't have our best interest in mind.

• Like 3

I could imagine to kinda make "plot stakes" either using similar mechanic to how deeds are founded, but instead of showing a plot token it would only show the radius through markers (a little bit like small rope fences) or to have a similar system to building houses, which is the "create a plan on each tile" but instead of housing frames it would create those plot-stakes/fences and merge them on intersections like it does with houseplans. The houseplot access for controlling permissions could be either purely over the character management or one has to set a tile or border to hold a plot sign of some sort.

I definitely like that idea, cause it could help normal wurmians to let in people into their villages more easily, since you could just give someone free space to roam in, inside your village without having to compromise your village in general and without having to prebuild a house for them :)

• Like 1

It would also be great to use as load/unload areas in harbours (not needing to allow load, pickup etc on whole deed).

These tiles could have a special outline colour when hovered over by the mouse for easier management by deed owners/officials

• Like 6

+1 Wurm NEEDS this! Get 'er done!

Edited by Lancefer
add +1
  • Like 1

+1 
This needs implemented for the sake of creativity and enjoyment.

• Like 1

I love it! This would be great to help new players get more freedom when recruited into deeds. Give them full permission on their own plot where they can do everything, without ever having to worry about them messing with other recruits plots or public spaces.

+1!

• Like 1

+1! I'd also love this so that I could set separate permissions for highways going through my deed and for the rest of my deed.

• Like 1

+1 Would love to bring a MC feel to this game lol 

ps the reason I say MC feel is cause MC has that option on some servers

Edited by antonslavick
  • Like 1