Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

Please fix the lag on xanadu

2 hours ago, Rathgar said:

From what I understand, it has been in the works ever since the server was created, ongoing unending work of optimization. So I wouldnt expect a definitive fix for it, ever.

It was a joke.

"Are we there yet?"

• Like 1

So I'm late to the convo but the jist of what the important people have said is that there isn't a fix for the lag.  The lag is there because it's 4x the server size with 6x the creatures so much more strain on the server code and hardware.  Don't forget devs are adding more to the game all the time..  so no matter how optimized new features are, every addition will lag Xan more and more.   Just shut the damned server down and move on.  You learned your lesson with Challenge, suck it up and tell us how it was a good test of Wurm's capabilities and that it's time to let it go.

I can't be the only one that's tired of hearing about how Xan lags and I don't even freaking live there...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

So I'm late to the convo but the jist of what the important people have said is that there isn't a fix for the lag.  The lag is there because it's 4x the server size with 6x the creatures so much more strain on the server code and hardware.  Don't forget devs are adding more to the game all the time..  so no matter how optimized new features are, every addition will lag Xan more and more.   Just shut the damned server down and move on.  You learned your lesson with Challenge, suck it up and tell us how it was a good test of Wurm's capabilities and that it's time to let it go.

I can't be the only one that's tired of hearing about how Xan lags and I don't even freaking live there...

Figures. Another person not from Xanadu advocating for the server being shut down.

Largest, most populated server. Most active, with the most visitors. There are times when Xanadu has more people logged in than all the other freedom servers combined. Surely the solution is to close it!

If talks about the Xanadu lag bother you, just don't click the thread. The title says what it is after all.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I agree, it's better to shut down the server and introduce 4 new sever islands. Unless they can simply fix issues that cause the bloat, I say animals tbh. 

People like new servers. I think you do some form compensation for anyone who lived there obviously. Maybe a free year of upkeep on the new deed and a transmutation rod.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niki said:

I agree, it's better to shut down the server and introduce 4 new sever islands. Unless they can simply fix issues that cause the bloat, I say animals tbh. 

People like new servers. I think you do some form compensation for anyone who lived there obviously. Maybe a free year of upkeep on the new deed and a transmutation rod.

That's mostly different people. People who like new servers also like to start over and like to move around. They were the first people to move to another server when they couldn't stand the lag, so they likely form a minority on Xanadu.

Instead Xanadu logically has far more people who don't like to move around and start over. Shutting it down is likely to drive many of those people away from the game permanently. Considering the game's population isn't that high to begin with, you'd be better of keeping a laggy server and giving people the option to move if they can't stand the lag (the current situation) than removing the server and losing more of the game's population.

Especially considering how high Xanadu's population is, clearly the lag is not as big of a dealbreaker as all the "shut down" folk think it is. Shutting it down and adding new servers is thus mostly interesting for people who don't live on Xanadu to begin with...

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Figures. Another person not from Xanadu advocating for the server being shut down.

Largest, most populated server. Most active, with the most visitors. There are times when Xanadu has more people logged in than all the other freedom servers combined. Surely the solution is to close it!

If talks about the Xanadu lag bother you, just don't click the thread. The title says what it is after all.

The more people that log into it the more lag will be prevalent... It was a great test of what Wurm is capable of doing, but clearly it's not cutting it.  And adding more content is only going to further the issue. Wouldn't you agree?  If it can't be fixed, why let paying customers continue to play on it.   Who intentionally and knowingly wants to play a game that's full of lag (nvm, we play wurm don't answer that lol)

12 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

That's mostly different people. People who like new servers also like to start over and like to move around. They were the first people to move to another server when they couldn't stand the lag, so they likely form a minority on Xanadu.

Instead Xanadu logically has far more people who don't like to move around and start over. Shutting it down is likely to drive many of those people away from the game permanently. Considering the game's population isn't that high to begin with, you'd be better of keeping a laggy server and giving people the option to move if they can't stand the lag (the current situation) than removing the server and losing more of the game's population.

Especially considering how high Xanadu's population is, clearly the lag is not as big of a dealbreaker as all the "shut down" folk think it is. Shutting it down and adding new servers is thus mostly interesting for people who don't live on Xanadu to begin with...

Well I have a deed pretty much on every server, granted it's most undeveloped as I reside on indy.

I understand the frustration, I do! Right now the current Xanadu game experience is a mess and every day people are complaining or leaving the game for good. New people are coming into the game and most of them usually go with Xanadu. Why should people have to suffer through that type of game experience to begin with and it quickly becomes a hassle. Why isn't a warning on the tutorial saying Xanadu has instability issues? My solution isn't the best by any means but it's a start. The DEVs have already said the lag is here to stay pretty much, unacceptable as that may seem - being passive about the lag will not improve the situation. 

Thanks.

Edited by Niki

1 minute ago, Niki said:

Well I have a deed pretty much on every server, granted it's most undeveloped as I reside on indy.

I understand the frustration, I do! Right now the current Xanadu game experience is a mess and every day people are complaining or leaving the game for good. New people are coming into the game and most of them usually go with Xanadu. Why should people have to suffer through that type of game experience to begin with and it quickly becomes a hassle. Why isn't a warning on the tutorial saying Xanadu has instability issues? My solution isn't the best by any means but it's a start. The DEVs have already said the lag is here to stay pretty much, unacceptable as that may seem - being passive about the lag will not improve the situation. 

Thanks.

Agreed that there definetly needs to be a warning for new players about the lag on Xanadu.

• Like 1

Not to mention how many new players have started Wurm for the first time, selecting Xanadu because they heard how big it was.. and quit within a week because a deer killed them due to lag.

My point is there is no compromise to be had, it's an online game and outside normal latency from distance, players do not pay to play a laggy game.  If it cannot be fixed, which a PR member and dev have stated earlier in this topic, it needs to be reconsidered.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Anyone who dislikes the lag can move to another server. We dont need less options. I agree new players shouldn't be starter in Xanadu, but most of the current habitants (which is more people than any other server) are happy as it is. Why ruin their game? Whats the point?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Anyone who dislikes the lag can move to another server. We dont need less options. I agree new players shouldn't be starter in Xanadu, but most of the current habitants (which is more people than any other server) are happy as it is. Why ruin their game? Whats the point?

The point, rather my point at least, is Quality of Service.  Xanadu just doesn't provide it.  We're in 2017, not 1998, no one is using 56k or 28.8k modems... there is zero reason for putting up with lag.  Servers need to be uniform in regards to performance and quality.  Yours, just doesn't cut it.  And the amount of complaints and threads about it is bringing more attention to wurm then the dev's marketing ever has lol.

I guess it's just personal preference... some people would rather live with a bum leg, other's want it amputated.

Edited by Nomadikhan

I agree it should be addressed. But the reality is that it is very likely it wont be. 

For those of us that remain there, the benefits outweight the inconvenience of lag: longer deed upkeeps, longer sleep powders, bigger areas to explore, better hunting areas. The lag? Its really a minor inconvenience we have learned to live with. So we do. The important thing is that its a choice. We can always move elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

And the amount of complaints and threads about it is bringing more attention to wurm then the dev's marketing ever has lol.

Wait...... they did advertising?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Fraeya said:

Wait...... they did advertising?

you must not have watched the Superbowl this year.

• Like 1

huh?  A Wurm Superbowl commercial?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Spoiler

huh?  A Wurm Superbowl commercial?

Well played Sir :lol:

On 5/18/2017 at 10:20 PM, Greyfox said:

... Or cut losses and move.   It was hard to give up all I had built, but that's what I did, figured it was never going to get fixed so it was time to just give up and move.   Really the only good thing about Xan was all the lag made it harder to hit the fatigue wall, all that time spent waiting for stam to regen......

I, for one, really miss Greyfox keeping the time and warning us all about server backup lag.  This has forever earned you the title, "Master Timekeeper"!  Even tho you aren't doing it anymore. ;)

I will agree with the consensus here, and say something ought to be done about the Xanadu lag. I Notice the same right-click menu and door-opening latency, and at least once can remember dying because of it.   Though at this point I've actually gotten used to living with the lag, and going back to a small server like Celebration might cause a bit of over-compensation in the beginning..

Funny thing: the sheer size/travel time on-server and height of Xanadu has always been a deterrent for me; when it opened I actually boycotted the server and proclaimed, "never shall live on Xanadu!"  Now here I am 3 years later, living in the Northeast...  but the main reason for moving here was to breed and sell horses.  Now, ironically, the horse market on Xanadu is kinda over-saturated and truly, the prices of the existing merchants are like a race-to-the-bottom that I am not so eager to participate in.

I'd be in the "willing to move to another server" camp, but this is mainly because of already having moved around a lot, and being heavy traveler/trader anyway.

• Like 1

All this "close Xana" nonsense, that btw takes away from and derails any discussion of possible solutions, is just that...nonsense. 

People who have remained on Xana have remained there because they choose to, for their own personal reasons.   And we're not just talking about a tiny little percentage of the total Wurm population either. Those who choose not to deal with Xana don't have to, and more than likely they've already made their own choice and have either moved or they're planning to. 

But still there are those who want to keep pushing a narrative that all those people who choose to play there should not be allowed to make that choice for themselves, (using the age-old, sing-song, busybody, brother's-keeper argument of "for-your-own-good-because-I-know-better-than-you-what's-best-for-you.").   That is just so wrong in so many ways, I'd have to write a small novelette to express it all adequately, and yet it would still fall on deaf ears I'm afraid.  So I'll just stop here and save myself the aggravation.  lol.

• Like 3

Chiming in to add that most people I know would just stop playing if they removed Xan. Too many of us have invested way too much time in our deeds and public works. You'd be taking a huge chunk of players out of an already dwindling game.

• Like 2

Yeah just to make sure we're all clear here, Xanadu won't be removed. 

• Like 7

1. Hey All, I got a little lag thing here in Xan but it doesn't effect my gameplay much. I have never died due to lag or lost a fight due to lag. I just find it a pain in the @$$. Mostly spikes. I have found that if I relog it settles down. I moved to Xan for the creature spawns. I needed to up FS real bad. Its been good here. I wont complain, Just get the server back up. PLEASE

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, Rathgar said:

From what I understand, it has been in the works ever since the server was created, ongoing unending work of optimization. So I wouldnt expect a definitive fix for it, ever.

Not until a customer finds the problem for them if the last few major fixes are anything to go by.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, Atheline said:

I, for one, really miss Greyfox keeping the time and warning us all about server backup lag.  This has forever earned you the title, "Master Timekeeper"!  Even tho you aren't doing it anymore. ;)

\o/

• Like 1

I think most of Xanadians just don't realise: the worst lag on Xanadu is stamina regeneration lag and you can't feel it until you live on a small server for some time,

• Like 2

Thats it! I'm fed up with this lag! I disbanded my deed and packed up my stuff and I am now moving out of North Xanadu!!!!

...to South Xanadu...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I disbanded my deed and packed up my stuff and I am now moving out of North Xanadu!!!!

...to South Xanadu...

hope the view was worth it.:D