Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

Please fix the lag on xanadu

RfcpWsP-QLKjKGrvybOUzw.png'

I know the feeling. 

That said, there are performance issues on Xanadu, it's great that many don't notice them except for the odd spike, but we'll always continue to monitor for improvements, including upgrading how we collect performance metrics 

Retro you are sitting at the other end of the possible longest wire I think :D

I'm in Europe, the usual latency on Xanadu is absolutely acceptable for me - except the times and days when the server behaves and chews on every action for seconds. Of course Xana is noticeably slower to react than the smaller servers but it far from unplayable (my luck, I'm not too far considering wire geography from the host) and I definitely feel it got more responsive during the last few months.

• Like 1

I live in the uk, have around 75 mbit fibre optic and frequently (several times a day, daily, every week) get server lag ( not to be confused with latency where an action takes longer to respond than normal,) where I might be stuck in a door for 10 seconds or have my wagon driving sideways down a road where I have to stop and wait for it to turn so I can see where I'm going, or ofc the regular "refreshing" right click menu. let's be totally clear here everyone with any type of connection playing for 24 hours would at some point in their timezone experience this at least once. If you say this does not happen to you then you are either not noticing as you might spend long between actions or simply lucky to play in a timezone where these problems affect you very rarely. It's been confirmed by the devs that this is an issue so don't be so naive to say everything is fine because it never happens to you (it's like saying wars don't exist because you live in the arctic where there have never been any)

The devs are however working towards fixing this so "thank you"

• Like 2

someone pls help us... its inposible to move with cart or wagons....  i broke wurm planting 7k+ catseyes

3 minutes ago, Sila said:

someone pls help us... its inposible to move with cart or wagons....  i broke wurm planting 7k+ catseyes

+1

Ya this lag on Xan has been very ridiculous and today is just unplayable.  Standing at fences tending my horses and takes 10 seconds to get in and out of each gate and constant messages of "you are too far away" when I've been standing on tile for 6 seconds.

[12:07:05] 213 other players are online. You are on Xanadu (572 totally in Wurm).

Been a clean 150ms all day from Arizona, USA to server and traceroute has been clean 13 hops from AZ to server. 

Is it really the connection or is just Wurm not optimized well enough and no matter what horsepower you throw in the server or connection won't help?

Edited by nicedreams

While I agree it is annoying and a bit agitating, it's nowhere near unplayable. 

29 minutes ago, Tehangel2 said:

While I agree it is annoying and a bit agitating, it's nowhere near unplayable. 

Unless your sitting in front of a forge it's unplayable for me at least today.  Try running around multiple fences and jumping on and off carts and switching between kills and you'll want to not play today either.

Rare recording of the Xanadu server establishing a connection after reboot. 

• Like 1

Yeah this weekend has been extra laggy.

I have had the boat issue all day yesterday, where I disembark and ship is far away, when I swim there I can't reach it.

Very frustrating.

Lag certainly got a lot worse as the numbers approached and passed 200.

I notice that the mrtg graphs are not working again, there are a load of tmp files in the directory on the server so hopefully the data is their somewhere....

Defenitly needs fixing. Lag has been on unacceptable levels pretty much from day one of Xanadu. It has been worse than usual the last weeks, but it goes up and down a bit, some evenings it's just annoying and some evenings it's unplayable.

I'm on 100/100 mbit fiber connection and have no issues with other services.

I'm wondering how many potential customers you've lost due to this. I know had i started with my village mates (all long gone mind you) around Xanadu, we would have picked the largest for sure (newest server) and all quit out of laughter in how pathetic it lags out consistently.  People have no patience for this in video games, especially today, and even more so for paying customers. I mean, who doesn't rage quit due to lag issues in any game?

Plan an actual strategy and address one of the largest issues this game has at current. Whether you think it is or not, it will likely help your fledgling numbers.

There's infinitely more value in doing this than adding some silly crap that isn't helping, and actually making it worse.

Part of the problem is people complain yet the fact that there are still 200+ online on Xanadu daily, the most populated server by far, it doesn't give  much incentumive to do anything about it.

We all hate school lunches but when the cafeteria sells out each day, is there really an apparent problem?

Same token, even if 75% leave.. It will be deserted like epic.  And look what's been done to fix that lol...

I've visited Xanadu many times since it's inception and I even deeded once, but I never stayed long term since the lag was always bad for me even in sparsely populated areas. 

You do have to wonder how many more would play on Xanadu if this was fixed once and for all.

8 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Part of the problem is people complain yet the fact that there are still 200+ online on Xanadu daily, the most populated server by far, it doesn't give  much incentumive to do anything about it.

We all hate school lunches but when the cafeteria sells out each day, is there really an apparent problem?

Same token, even if 75% leave.. It will be deserted like epic.  And look what's been done to fix that lol...

Yeah, but remember when Xanadu had 500+ people playing regularly? Considering how big it is, 200+ at any one time is kind of sad and desolate...

Hell, we have put a lot of time and effort into Xanadu. Bust it up. Make another smaller server or something and compensate people for the destruction of Xanadu. It's for the greater good even if it would suck to happen.

15 hours ago, Revnik said:

Yeah, but remember when Xanadu had 500+ people playing regularly? Considering how big it is, 200+ at any one time is kind of sad and desolate. ...

Yes, population on Xanadu has been much higher than what we have now. Some players there have left the game, some have returned to their old (smaller) servers, in many cases because of the lag.

It's basically the old Wurm problem: players, and esp. new players, want pristine land instead of settling on industrial wastelands and parking lots on old servers. I can very well understand that, I would want the same. Thus Wurm occasionally needs fresh lands to attract new people, and Xanadu had (and still has) lots of that. Sadly it also comes with server lag (and a range of problems from mob spawning to rift locations).

• Like 1

From the beginning this server was absolutely amazing. The sailing wasn't that flash hot but the land was amazing to stare at for 2 hours just sailing to a coastline hehe. All that aside, I've always said this server was way too large. 

Move it to a country for hosting that is connected to the internet backbone. In Amsterdam perhaps.

No clue what the issue is or could be, but when I test the pings on my end they are never that bad. I feel as though the database may not be keeping up. Like I said, I don't pretend to know the network topology Wurm utilizes, nor do I pretend to know the server structure. The only thing I will say is I deeded in the middle of nowhere and don't usually see the lag everyone else does. Yesterday I absolutely felt it. I was at my deed and felt it, then when sailing it got hairy a few times. When I arrived at Glasshollow it was much worse than when I was at my deed.  

For me, it's gotten way worse since the last update. I'm seeing what appears to be two separate issues. The lag, and performance. Seemed for a while the lag was getting better and before the update I was able to run 3 characters.  Now, it seems that not only has the lag increased, but performance-wise I can no longer run more than two characters.

Now since the update, the intermittent lag issues, even with just one character, have gotten downright brutal on some days, the old refresh delay thing, carts & boats sliding sideways, character position not updated, gates and doors taking forever to respond, etc.

And besides the lag, now since the update, with two characters my comp starts complaining of abuse and starts sounding like a vacuum cleaner and fps drops drastically, stuttering jerky movement, etc. It evens out after a bit on whichever one is the active screen. When I switch screens, fps drops to 5ish then settles after a bit. Definitely a change from before the update but at least playable at times when the lag issue isn't at its worst.

Three characters is now out of the question for me since the update. My comp grinds to a complete halt and I have to shut down. My comp used to easily handle 3 characters.

5 hours ago, Amadee said:

Three characters is now out of the question for me since the update. My comp grinds to a complete halt and I have to shut down. My comp used to easily handle 3 characters.

Do you turn the graphics down? I have not seen the hit, but my PC is overkill for most games. When I multibox I do have "alt" settings I run while my primary runs maxed out. The alts are usually in a window with lower resolution, and lower overall settings.

19 minutes ago, Revnik said:

Do you turn the graphics down? I have not seen the hit, but my PC is overkill for most games. When I multibox I do have "alt" settings I run while my primary runs maxed out. The alts are usually in a window with lower resolution, and lower overall settings.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm pretty ignorant about technical stuff.  I always thought multi-boxing was using more than one computer.  As for changing settings for different character windows, no idea how to do that. My settings always apply to all characters.  I do have the one setting set to supposedly reduce the background windows graphics (not sure what its called, would have to go look at settings again). If I have two characters logged in, the one I have active takes a huge fps hit though, especially compared to how it used to be,  and my computer gets very unhappy. If I try 3, like I used to with no problems, my computer has a melt down  That's all I know about it.  Reducing graphics to fugly overall is a rotten option, imo, when everything was fine before the update.  I guess the point I was making was that this last update changed something drastically with performance and the lag has increased again as well, so I feel that's a good place for them to begin looking for this most recent rash of messedupedness.

On 10/8/2017 at 7:54 AM, Wulfmaer said:

I notice that the mrtg graphs are not working again, there are a load of tmp files in the directory on the server so hopefully the data is their somewhere....

The graphs started work for a while, but have stopped again...