Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

Please fix the lag on xanadu

As title, the lag on xanadu has been apparent since it's first opening almost 3 years ago. This affects sleep bonus, farming grow times, harvest season times, favour regeneration, rare windows and probably many more things I'm not mentioning or forgetting.

For the past 2 months at least the server has been plagued by restarts, crashes and daily lag, most of it not too much of a problem but at least once a day the server suffers debilitating lag (not the daily backup which is another matter)

If this was service provided by an ISP for example I'd be on the phone at the first sign of trouble as we did long ago:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/117658-can-we-get-a-sever-reboot/#comment-1203183

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/118662-too-many-disconnects-and-lag-going-to-play-a-different-game/#comment-1214439

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/121674-wurms-lag-solution-for-xan/#comment-1249147

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/132343-its-back-the-famous-xanadu-lagg/#comment-1359894

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/147219-lag-making-the-game-dangerous-to-play/#comment-1513687

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/126699-how-come-so-many-are-quitting-right-now/#comment-1303454

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/122987-sick-of-this-crap-xanadu-lag/&page=7#comment-1267149

However the problem is still not fixed, I and I'm sure the entire other population on xanadu would love to know a few key things.

Are you going to fix it soon?

Are you going to upgrade the obviously suffering server hardware?

Are you going to fix it at all? 

@Retrograde

@Budda

I'm sure you've lost players from this and I know we've lost villagers and friends who have left for other servers.

Also, creature spawns, yeah still not fixed either...

Aside from those and many other issues, good job!

P.s. "We're working on other things right now but it's on the list" isn't gonna cut it after this long.

• Like 2

Shut down Xan and force the playerbase to repopulate the other servers. Problem solved. :P

• Like 10

There is always the option to move to other servers for those who feel the current lag unbearable.

Please don't be that "smart" throwing out ideas like that Matholameu, if you are not affected may I kindly to ask you to refrain from being (censored) rude if you are affected and don't like it - move. At least you will lessen the lag a fraction.

1 minute ago, Jaz said:

There is always the option to move to other servers for those who feel the current lag unbearable.

Please don't be that "smart" throwing out ideas like that Matholameu, if you are not affected may I kindly to ask you to refrain from being (censored) rude if you are affected and don't like it - move. At least you will lessen the lag a fraction.

I don't need to move, don't live on Xan. 
And yes you can, as long as I can kindly ask you to just ignore my post if it bothers you. I'll opine if I want. lol

More hamsters for the server wheel..:unsure:

What is causing the lag? It's not the players.. indy is often having more players than xana.. domestic animal hoarders? creature/ai behavior? Environment changes(farms, vegetation spreading, growth, etc..)?

Just now, Finnn said:

More hamsters for the server wheel..:unsure:

What is causing the lag? It's not the players.. indy is often having more players than xana.. domestic animal hoarders? creature/ai behavior? Environment changes(farms, vegetation spreading, growth, etc..)?

If Indy is pushing a larger server pop with no issues(which I don't know if it does or doesn't) then I would have to guess the sheer size of Xan is what is causing the issues. 

If the server has had issues from day one, perhaps the hardware wasn't quite up to the task of handling such a massive server.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

I don't need to move, don't live on Xan. 
And yes you can, as long as I can kindly ask you to just ignore my post if it bothers you. I'll opine if I want. lol

Hey man you have a so called solution which has the only effect of pissing off those who are established on the server and does not improve the situation for anyone else. Great. Grats.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaz said:

Hey man you have a so called solution which has the only effect of pissing off those who are established on the server and does not improve the situation for anyone else. Great. Grats.

Hey man, I posted something for the lulz and you went ahead and got triggered which equals... more lulz. Great. Grats. :)

• Like 2

Are these the only stats we have http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs ?

--edit

Creature count seems to be an BIG, vegetation probably also adds some lag to it all, I find it funny that indy have more items than xana ^^'

Xana `Daily' Graph (5 Minute Average) - creatures

day

Max Average Current
Aggressive Creatures count: 117 kcreatures 117 kcreatures 117 kcreatures
Total Creatures count: 292 kcreatures 292 kcreatures 292 kcreatures

Indy `Daily' Graph (5 Minute Average) - creatures

day

Max Average Current
Aggressive Creatures count: 27 kcreatures 27 kcreatures 27 kcreatures
Total Creatures count: 47 kcreatures 47 kcreatures 47 kcreatures
Edited by Finnn

From my WU hosting experience, while RAM is hella important, the real resource bottleneck was the hard drives.

Xan's physical server might really really benefit from having its amount of disks increased on that RAID.... I'm assuming it's on RAID, and switch to full SSD if it isn't already.

If that doesn't fix it, it'll mean the engine just can't handle it.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Are these the only stats we have http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_graphs ?

--edit

Creature count seems to be an BIG, vegetation probably also adds some lag to it all, I find it funny that indy have more items than xana ^^'

Do those stats even work anymore? (serious question)

Everyone are talking about this lag... Never actually felt it unless the server is lagging and everyone else feel it too. Only lag I have noticed is near massive cities and structures -> read Amish Paradise - Sanctuary - Estates complex. :P But even that lag is not that bad I couldn't live with it.

It's not like they have a [LAG] switch they can flip from ON to OFF.

Xanadu is too big for it's own good and likely can't be fixed with any single action. Upgrading hardware has it's own limits since the server is mostly single-threaded and is often bottlenecked by IO in that single thread.

They are working on improving things, i've seen some the changes in WU code, but it's likely a longer term project.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bdew said:

It's not like they have a [LAG] switch they can flip from ON to OFF.

Xanadu is too big for it's own good and likely can't be fixed with any single action. Upgrading hardware has it's own limits since the server is mostly single-threaded and is often bottlenecked by IO in that single thread.

They are working on improving things, i've seen some the changes in WU code, but it's likely a longer term project.

Three years in terms of game development is long term already. Maybe having ONE person look at it during lunch on weekends may not be enough, considering the problem was there on launch, and profusely documented since then.

If they gave up and "it is what it is", it would also be good to know, instead of some vague answer. So people know what to expect and plan acordingly, instead of waiting for a fix that will never come.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kadmint said:

Never actually felt it unless the server is lagging and everyone else feel it too. 

Well exactly, so you have then, whether it's the passive lag or the heavy lag that everyone notices, everyone has been impacted by it

10 minutes ago, bdew said:

3 years is far too long for a long term project sorry, working on things could be one line of code every month and that's not adequate to fix an urgent problem and it IS urgent, it's massively putting people off the game and the server.

31 minutes ago, Fraeya said:

Well exactly, so you have then, whether it's the passive lag or the heavy lag that everyone notices, everyone has been impacted by it

Yes, but as I said, I don't feel annoyed about it at all, since it happens seldom to me. Was just saying that I don't feel the same lag on the server many other people do. So making a statement that it isn't happening to everyone. :) 

40 minutes ago, Kadmint said:

Yes, but as I said, I don't feel annoyed about it at all, since it happens seldom to me. Was just saying that I don't feel the same lag on the server many other people do. So making a statement that it isn't happening to everyone. :) 

That's interesting, is it possible that most are just having bad 'ping' to the server than?

Just now, Finnn said:

That's interesting, is it possible that most are just having bad 'ping' to the server than?

No idea, I'm not the expert. :D 

We;ve taken many large steps in addressing it, but it's not a simple case of not enough hardware or a "lag = false" thing, it's a lot of optimisation work and improvements, which are constantly ongoing.

• Like 3

I say this as someone whose deed is actually on Xanadu.  Maybe "the great mystery" would be solved by shutting down Xanadu and letting the players move (back) to the other servers.  CC would save money on server hardware costs and the players would have more populated servers.  CC is still maintaining the same server count as before WU launched.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

I say this as someone whose deed is actually on Xanadu.  Maybe "the great mystery" would be solved by shutting down Xanadu and letting the players move (back) to the other servers.  CC would save money on server hardware costs and the players would have more populated servers.  CC is still maintaining the same server count as before WU launched.

<3 thank you

37 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We;ve taken many large steps in addressing it, but it's not a simple case of not enough hardware or a "lag = false" thing, it's a lot of optimisation work and improvements, which are constantly ongoing.

That is the blandest answer I have seen all month, and I have been watching a lot of political interviews.   It sounds as if you are dodging the issue, but it does nothing for the players.  Maybe if you would comment on any of the KNOWN issues, with something more specific than "optimization".  Like, is it because of the mobs AI ? Is it because of checking that ammount of tiles, or some other less obvious issue that arises from scaling up the server in the current engine.

Throw us a bone Retro, anything.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

Throw us a bone Retro, anything.

+1

1 hour ago, Eyesgood said:

Sure. While this may sound like a "good" solution on paper, in actuality it would be a disaster for those who would be forced to move. Some people may not care or are maybe not as attached to their location as others, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the majority of Xanites who haven't already moved away would be horrified at the prospect.

I know that speaking for myself, I've put a lot of time, effort, and love, into my deeds on Xana.  I love my location, my neighbors, my grotto & harbor, the terrain and proximity of my deeds to each other, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.  The grotto alone took me over a year to create and it's still somewhat of a work in progress to this day.  The very idea of being forced to just walk away from it all, try to find a suitable location on another server, and start all over again now after all this time and effort just makes me nauseous.  I honestly don't know that I'd even try.  That might be the incentive I'd need to try WU or find another game.

I don't know what the solution is, but in the meantime the perma-lag on Xan is something I've learned to live with for the sake of, and love of, my location and my desire to stay there. For me, it's better than the alternative of walking away from it all.  I will just trust that they are aware of it and working on it, and always keep my fingers crossed that someday they'll hit on a permanent solution. 

Closing the server is, imo, the absolute worst solution I can think of.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Sure. While this may sound like a "good" solution on paper, in actuality it would be a disaster for those who would be forced to move. Some people may not care or are maybe not as attached to their location as others, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the majority of Xanites who haven't already moved away would be horrified at the prospect.

I know that speaking for myself, I've put a lot of time, effort, and love, into my deeds on Xana.  I love my location, my neighbors, my grotto & harbor, the terrain and proximity of my deeds to each other, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.  The grotto alone took me over a year to create and it's still somewhat of a work in progress to this day.  The very idea of being forced to just walk away from it all, try to find a suitable location on another server, and start all over again now after all this time and effort just makes me nauseous.  I honestly don't know that I'd even try.  That might be the incentive I'd need to try WU or find another game.

I don't know what the solution is, but in the meantime the perma-lag on Xan is something I've learned to live with for the sake of, and love of, my location and my desire to stay there. For me, it's better than the alternative of walking away from it all.  I will just trust that they are aware of it and working on it, and always keep my fingers crossed that someday they'll hit on a permanent solution. 

Closing the server is, imo, the absolute worst solution I can think of.

I know what the real solution is. Keep plugging away in Wurm until it finally crumbles and wait for something better to come along. :P