Sign in to follow this  
Trevordent

Improvements that might need to be implemented.

My wife and I have been WO and WU fans for a long time (almost 10 yrs now), and in that time we have seen a lot happen on both. (here it comes) But, with Unlimited we have noticed some things need a bit more tweaking to make it a bit more single/l.a.n player friendly. Especially if they want to play on Adventure with Epic settings.

Most of this will be to do with server settings (or lack of) and if there is mods or settings that rectify some or all of these, can they please be pointed out.

1) God Avatars never give up the chase and too hard to kill.

Twice the God Avatars have endlessly chased us down never ceasing to stop. We did not hit them to provoke them, just got too close without realising they were there. No matter how fast you can get on the best boat/horse they never give up the chase to your deed, (and in our case) our twenty spirit guards can not kill it, ever, even with us and two alts each chipping in to help, for a whole week (we waited a whole week for one to leave but they never do!) without resorting to our GM character to step in and Wizkill it (kills the whole fun of the game). Can there be settings in server to dumb them down and make them a little easier to fight.

2) Dragons too hard to kill.

Same as Avatars but twice as hard because NO guards will help at all, guards and spirit guard ignore them totally. Even had the GM help by fighting ordinarily and even he on maxed skills was barely tickling it, again needing to resort to Wizkill. Again like the Avatars can we or is there settings to tone these guys down for smaller grouped servers.

3) Conquering other Kingdom towers.

All is good till that mob of ten tower guards turn up, plus the standard 5. Anyway of shutting them off but still have the normal 5 respawn. The 5 spawning as normally still makes it hard for small server groups or a single player (and fun) but the extra ten (Again without resorting to the GM) is killing the game experience. Just need a setting to turn this on/off depending on client numbers.

4) Starter Kingdom Towns being player friendly.

The default towns on adventure are not user/client friendly and I know the GM can set some settings but a bit more settings to help the town be more client ‘friendly’ would be nice. Allowing the Client to live there for a time, repair buildings or even do some farming/gardening/forestry around the place. Drop and pickup your own items, leave you own animals there without losing them to town mechanics (after a log off/log on). Or even live in one of the buildings would be a nice touch.

I once read somewhere that you can log on as one of the original builders of each town, have tried this but game will not let them log on (need password). Again just a little more freedom to GM’s to set these towns at the token.

5) The HotA issues

We all know this one, but has there been any work to address this. I have even tried to reset the timer to extend to a longer period of time before each HotA but the game seems to be set at 1 day and 7 hours as the max (actually I think this is broken as it will not change at all, no mater what I put in the options box). Trying to remember if a HotA is on and getting around to doing it is getting a little on the nerves. And getting the GM to reset it is also getting old. I know that removing the HotA all together is one option, but it is the least desirable as we do love doing the HotA, just in our own time would be nice.

I realise this may sound all a bit petty from two grown adults, and making our own server from scratch is one (the least desirable) option, but we are not just doing this for us. We have a grandson whom we have hyped up to play this game, as Wurms is a great game and is educational for young kids (we are going to get it for his next birthday) and we don’t want to be running 200km to fix his game when ever these issues pop up (his parents are computer illiterate, we are the IT help if you get my drift). So if we could set up his server for him that he would never need to worry about these, would be nice.

Any and all helpful advice would be welcomed.

I understand Keenan is working on some new default maps besides Adventure & Creative, and I suspect at least one or two of those will end up being more "newbie friendly" for those (like me) who find databases and GM commands and server settings and kingdom settings too complicated/intimidating.

As far as advice, for the rare unique mobs that were too OP for singleplayer/family player maps, i used to occasionally go through the database with some database editor (it was on my old hard drive so i don;t know now what its name was) and simply delete any dragons etc that would spawn, though it would be nicer to have an intuitive server settings page where you could just check/uncheck.  Obviously you need to shut the server down before doing something like that and probably make backups first. but it was mostly a matter of just knowing where to find it in the database and then -- click-and-delete.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

would be neat if servers could alter these settings for their server. Instead of toning it down for every one, create a setting that would allow you to choose how easy uniques are to kill, towers are to capture, and some other misc things.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nicrolis said:

would be neat if servers could alter these settings for their server. Instead of toning it down for every one, create a setting that would allow you to choose how easy uniques are to kill, towers are to capture, and some other misc things.

A setting on the server where you choose the player base like 1 / 2-5 / 5-10 / 10-25 / 25+ and it sets unique difficulty etc accordingly.

Or if you want, more in-depth settings where you can tweak everything individually.

• Like 3

Thank you, @Bash-endevors & @Niccrolis yea just a few more switches and toggles on the UI of the servers would be nice so that we don't need to dive under the hood and screw something up.

@Gekko, thanks I might give that a go and see what happens.

• Like 1