Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Causes of area specific lag issues?

Hey guys, 

I have an island on Xanadu which is completely deeded. The size being 107 x 71 tiles. 

I have huge lag issues on my island, which I don't have elsewhere (meaning if I sail out of the area of my island). When people sail past the island or enter it, they also complain of sudden lag. 

This is something I'd like to fix, but to do that, I need to know what the most likely cause is.

Is it:

• The amount of animals on the deed? It can sometimes get up to hundreds. 
  • The amount of houses?
  • The amount of items, furniture, objects sitting around on the deed?
  • The amount of items inside of containers that the database has to keep track of?
  • The amount of lamps and other items that glow?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Is the lag happens on the stable and instable client too? 

In my experience if there are a lot of items and deco are in visible distance and to be rendered lag can hit. It includes tens of crates dropped at same spot etc. They still eat resources if you cannot actually see them ie. behind a wall.

I'll sail over to your island and test your lag trap - been an age anyway to visit there :)

I actually haven't tested the instable client at all yet.

I do have tons of crates in my storage building (which is part of the harbour area), probably over a 100. 

And interesting to see if you experience the lag as well. 

Should be the amount of items in general..

Things in containers.. actual items.. not bsbd/and such/.. heard that once server broke after some priest's  chest with coins in containers decayed, and spilled a ##### ton of coins onto the world ^^' (but nvm that... could be a wurm legend)

the way I run the game is with desktop shortcut

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\javaws.exe" -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

Could be a placebo.. but after the performance flags.. that solved a lag issue where I was at the time..

There are -Xms -Xmn -Xmx parameters... that might or might not help the client to run smoothly.. I think MC uses some of that.. to solve some performance issues .. I never experimented with them for wurm(old box.. it's hard to tell); but ANYWAY.. try my way with a shortcut.. pray for results... and hopefully it wont fix your problem:rolleyes:, else you'll have to put signs how to run the game...

hope it helps either way:D

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 1:17 PM, Finnn said:

Should be the amount of items in general..

Things in containers.. actual items.. not bsbd/and such/.. heard that once server broke after some priest's  chest with coins in containers decayed, and spilled a ##### ton of coins onto the world ^^' (but nvm that... could be a wurm legend)

the way I run the game is with desktop shortcut

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\javaws.exe" -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

Could be a placebo.. but after the performance flags.. that solved a lag issue where I was at the time..

There are -Xms -Xmn -Xmx parameters... that might or might not help the client to run smoothly.. I think MC uses some of that.. to solve some performance issues .. I never experimented with them for wurm(old box.. it's hard to tell); but ANYWAY.. try my way with a shortcut.. pray for results... and hopefully it wont fix your problem:rolleyes:, else you'll have to put signs how to run the game...

hope it helps either way:D

Thank you very much for the tips and advice! Jaz came to visit and gave me some tips as well. I will try those first, mainly about how to organize stuff on the deed. If they don't help, I'll go hard core with your tricks. I'll report back with any results, as I'm sure there are others who have had the same problems . 

• Like 2