Sign in to follow this  
Niki

Basements/Cellars - The Final Frontier!

Well as I posted in the Valrei international, I figured I would follow up here to make this a more official suggestion. We haven't had this idea in a thread in a very long while. Since 2014!

How would this work? 

Simple really, you build a new house above ground.

With the use of a special tool, while using it on the floor tile/plan, you have the ability to plan out a basement. While above ground you would need to dig/mine out the area until it's completely cleared. This would take some work.

Once the basement level is created you can build a ladder/stairs/ramp down to it.

The basement level would be the size of your house plans above ground. But once the area is created it can be expanded within carpentry limits and masonry. Underground multistory should be unrestricted until rock level which will then turn into a cave space.

If your house is vastly above the rock layer the basement would be underground with packed dirt walls that you would need to fill in with bricks/concrete etc. Or leave as is.

If your structure meets the requirements to have a cave level basement, with less than a few dirt above a rock tile it should be a simple connection, having a mine under the building all you would need to do is build access point into the house.

Proceed with a ladder down/stairs or even a ramp for carts.

Some questions and answers:

What happens if the building decays and the deed is gone? When the above story building is completely decayed the cellar should cease to exist all items should be pushed to the surface layer, the dirt would be automatically filled in. To prevent abuse from people making basements in order to siphon dirt there should be a restriction to build a basement per week. (I personally don't find this a issue though)

If I have two building next to each other can I connect them through basements? While this isn't the case with above story houses (should be..) I believe you should be able to if were talking about the dirt level, mines already allow you to tunnel so yes It should be possible.

Right now the only way to make a basement is a illusion in the game using a donut house.

I do think the tech is there, and I really think this game could use a feature like this.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Niki
  • Like 3

+1 to the idea,

-1 to your plans of execution - especially the decay-refill of dirt. I think that once you dig something out, it's a done deal. The building decays, you've got the same dirt level as before just without the basement - that's only logical. 

EDIT: With Wurm's mechanics of requiring one tile in-between two flat tiles, I'm not sure your idea is something that's possible to execute in either case though. :o 

Edited by Yldrania

7 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

+1 to the idea,

-1 to your plans of execution - especially the decay-refill of dirt. I think that once you dig something out, it's a done deal. The building decays, you've got the same dirt level as before just without the basement - that's only logical. 

Sure, my rational thought process was trying to think ahead and prevent problems from having pitfall basements everywhere. The slopes would be unreal, and if you fell in you would be trapped. Because I think caves collapse over the time this doesn't seem to far fetched to me. 

The dungeon tag is a bit ominous :lol: but a basement would be cool.

If it isn't entirely possible with the current cave system, maybe when they get to the 3D caves overhaul.  Implementation is a bit over my head at the moment.

+1

I'll like the post just because you mentioned the doughnut houses:D(with bridges and tunnels to mines..)

Judging by the way locals in mines work... I'd imagine mines are a 'dimension' of their own.. and these houses need more or less another of their own.. plenty of people are going to face problems with underground tunnels just below their houses, yada yada.. 

Best to say PRETTY PLEASE, and ask the "evil spirits" (dev/gm ingame model..) what's actually possible, and relatively when such thing could be implemented and expected as content.

~+1

I've been building basement houses for a while.  Bridges made it possible to have a real basement feel, by gapping over the 33 slope adjoining tile.  Here is an example of one I did on a cliff face:

WzwOu6y.jpg

But, I REALLY want a true basement as OP is requesting.  I think the new mine borders offer that potential if build over rock.  How cool would it be to have our houses run seamlessly from above to below ground? Niki has some great ideas on how to create the basement, but one thing we really have to worry about is:

"Help I've fallen and can't get up!"  The potential for creating traps is really bad.  Chaos and Epic would become epicly chaotic.  Solve that and this would be awesome.

• Like 2

Love that design Wurmhole!

Going to have to build a pseudo-basement when I get my skills up :D

Always wanted a basement or even just a mine accessible from inside the house. (no doughnuts)

• Like 1

for the current version of this game, I make my mine openings but up against the house and fence off the mine opening.  That way it is only one step through the house door to reach mine.  Takes some planning and some good luck in finding the right location, but I sure do love the easy access.  Here is an image of one. I don't have walls around the opening, so you can see it better. PM me if you have any questions so we don't hijack this thread.

yVkV13X.jpg

• Like 1