header.png

Hi Everyone!

Another week has come and gone, and it's time to share with you all what's been happening on our side of things, so buckle up!

Roadmap
Of course the big talk of the town this week is the roadmap for the next few months. While it doesn't list everything we have planned (There are plenty of other updates and projects in the works) but these are the big ones, with of course most focus being on the UI and tutorial, but the other works are equally important, and we'll be sure to have long periods of testing and feedback before they're fully introduced.

Web shop items
A lot of discussion has revolved around purchasable items from the web shop. Our plans for stage one are the Golden mirror, which will allow players to change genders (and then looks) which has been a long desired item. We also plan to include several trader items as well. Beyond that we will continue to look at potential items and the best way to implement them. There have been many thoughts on this (both positive and negative) and they are all things that have been raised and discussed internally as well, we will take these steps slowly to ensure they come out and integrate as smoothly as possible, without compromising the core of Wurm's focus on player created worlds.

GM auctions
Step right up! As you recall we mentioned our plans with the aftermath of a rather nasty charge-back case to auction off seized goods in order to provide some compensation to the players affected. This weekend we're launching the GM auction house, with the first wave of listings going up around the time of this news posting. The unique twist on these is they are available on both Epic AND Freedom. That's right, it doesn't matter what server you're on, a GM will ensure that your winning items are delivered to you! All proceeds will be split up and shared with those affected by the actions of this banned user accordingly.

for the full overview of them please read the sticky at the top of the official auctions section:

Underground decorating
Along with our teaser of tiled walls now comes an awesome new feature, underground paving!

caves.png

You'd be forgiven for thinking this was simply in a large house, but with the next update you'll be able to pave underground tiles as well in 3 easy steps!

1. Reinforce floor
2. prepare reinforced floor with mortar
3. Pave prepared floor with pavement of your choice

This really expands how you can design your cave, and that's not all! With next update Tile borders will be visible in caves. This means you can tell the slopes underground! We're also planning the ability to build fences underground on deed only, to avoid potential issues. 

As is often the way with works in progress and feedback, we've changed how the decorating of reinforced walls works. Instead of creating a special reinforcement, using a trowel on an existing reinforced wall will give the option to begin building a clad wall, which will then be used to build on and create the finished wall. (Half finished walls have their own texture too)

Affinity changes
So as many of you probably know, some calculations in determining what affinity players get from meals led to some players not being able to get all possible results. Naturally this is an issue we needed to address, but the problem we faced was how. Changing any calculation would mean all players affinities would change, and given how much work you have all put into finding them, was not an ideal situation.

The system was fixed prior to it going live to WU, so we knew the replacement system worked, but the problem was applying it to those who felt they needed it, so we created a simple toggle for players to switch from the current system to the new one. Those who have spent time working on finding all their affinities, and who have no desire to switch to the new system may stay as is, and not have a single thing change for them, but those who could not get an affinity they wanted, or who felt limited by the potential bugged affinities will be able to change the affinity system for their character via the profile menu (as the picture states, once you switch to the new system you cannot move back to the old).

affinity.png

As an aside note with the new system, rarity of cooker (campfire, oven, forge) will not affect the affinity given by the end result, so if you choose to switch to that system the rarity will only increase the timer duration, not what affinity it gives (it does both currently).

Once this is introduced, all new accounts will by default be on the new system, we feel this accomplishes the double task of fixing affinities for those who wish to have them fixed, and also allowing those who have found what they want and wish to keep it to do so.

Community Content

This weeks community content is from a forum user Iberis, who is sharing her (apologies, my animal husbandry is low) adventures across Freedom and Chaos, and some pretty awesome PvP videos too (no swearing!)
Check out the videos and blog posts from the forums here:

That's it from me this week, I hope you all have a safe and happy weekend, and as always, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 26

Tile borders in caves...Woot!!   And love the new floors.  :)

On the affinity changes.  Will switching to the new system change the affinity on existing meals in the larder, or only the new ones made after switching?

Great and unexpected news on the mine improvements, I'm really amazed. Also the half-textured walls look promising.

Making the affinity fix is a real solution to the gordian knot (if you say it that way in English at all...)

9 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Tile borders in caves...Woot!!   And love the new floors.  :)

On the affinity changes.  Will switching to the new system change the affinity on existing meals in the larder, or only the new ones made after switching?

Itwill change all affinities, existing and created

• Like 1

RIP rare ovens. It was fun while it lasted. Love the fix but too bad there is no way to preserve the rare factor.

• Like 1

YESSSSSSS!!! Cooking is fixed :)  I've not done one bit of cooking in anticipation for this to ultimately happen.

Is it Christmas? Love what you are doing with the caves! Borders make me so happy (and the walls/paving too).

Edit: I think it is time to come back to WO for some fun.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We're also planning the ability to build fences underground on deed only

*Heavy breathing*

Just waiting for bridges now...

• Like 6

I hope ceilings can be added to floors - that would make great wine cellars made of pottery bricks for example...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

1. Reinforce floor
2. prepare reinforced floor with mortar
3. Pave prepared floor with pavement of your choice

lol, always got to go more and more extreme, hu, Wurm? imo, paving just like on the surface would have been fine. (I'll try to mod WU to work like that too)

Not sure if this is to much but do you think we can have a dirt/grass paving for underground? Then maybe we can enchant the tile with enchanted grass and have the ability to keep animals underground too.

Edit: Only on deed ofc 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

Oh gee thanks for mentioning my blog/videos. But now my kingdom are calling me a man because you said "his" adventures xD

• Like 7

Just now, Iberis said:

Oh gee thanks for mentioning my blog/videos. But now my kingdom are calling me a man because you said "his" adventures xD

Get back to work MAN or I cant be lazy.

To support the cause of reimbursing those who lost to Niru I offer a one time free imp to 80ql on the following items (only mail cost applies):

iron/steel tools / weapons / shields / chainsmithing / platesmithing items

carpentry / shipbuilding items

masonry / stonecutting items

Offer valid for the aucton winner of the actual item and unfortunately Freedom only.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Not sure if this is to much but do you think we can have a dirt/grass paving for underground? Then maybe we can enchant the tile with enchanted grass and have the ability to keep animals underground too.

Yes please let me be a fulltime dwarf / dark elf / vampire and have a chance to keep all my steeds underground! :D

underground pens for horse breeding would impact chaos a lot i think.

Tile borders in mines make me happy. I just may get sucked back in sooner than planned.

Awesome to see new things for us cave dwellers! I hope the graphical glitches (walls disappearing, or walls clipping in and out while being placed near a rock wall) will be fixed too.

I have a few questions regarding affinities. What is the new system actually going to be like? Any chances to see a system where affinities might be variable under some situations? Also, why to remove the fact that rarity can affect the affinity? I think that rare items should have an actual effect, especially when used in complex situations. And changing affinities of the product seemed like a nice and interesting effect. I also think that having any rare items useful in some specific way would be nice (generic effects or plain sacrificing seems boring, sorry to say that). I know I can stay with the old system (even-though I do not know how the new one works, sorry if I missed that in the text), but it seems like a bit like fixing a system with removing some nice features (unless the new system is awesome and I am missing that).

Anyway, I thank you for all your work and I hope you will make Wurm even more fun to play for all of us :) 

Miz, just golden mirror his comments :)

Love the announcements retro, thank you so much wurm, this game doubles in size every patch past. 1.3

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Miz, just golden mirror his comments :)

wtb golden mirror ;-;

25 minutes ago, Iberis said:

underground pens for horse breeding would impact chaos a lot i think.

Flip that switch that withers it on Chaos then...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Iberis said:

Don't have a cow, man!

• Like 1

Not you too Rudie I'm getting enough crap from the guys on ts and alliance xD

• Like 2

Just now, Iberis said:

Not you too Rudie I'm getting enough crap from the guys on ts and alliance xD

Woah dudeski, take it easy

• Like 2