Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai

Wurm Cosmetic Cash Shop

Cosmetic Cash Shop  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a cosmetic cash shop?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the items be available by other means?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted 'No' in Question 1

Just to clarify, as it seems many are jumping to rather dubious conclusions in both here and other areas.

The current plans for cash shop items are:

Golden mirrors that allow gender changes

Items that are currently stocked on traders

From there we'll be looking at things that have been long requested, and things that have zero impact on play. As for what they are, and how they will come in, and what else comes with them will be discussed later.

• Like 8

We need a way to transport animals over water that we can not now or maybe a spawn "egg" for them. 

• Like 3

If the items are cosmetic, then they have no gameplay impact.  So there is no requirement (as in, you don't have to buy the items to be competitive) to buy them.  So, you can choose to or not.  There should be cosmetic items available for cash somewhere (funky hair colour, etc), and they should be different to what can be crafted in game.  And they should only be available from the cash shop (but possibly be tradeable beyond that).

• Like 4

An exclusive cash shop will force those hoarding coin in game to buy from the less fortunate and thus spread currency around which in turn is spread out to others that sell to those that sell to the upper coin holders. This is how an economy thrives.

41 minutes ago, Kegan said:

We need a way to transport animals over water that we can not now or maybe a spawn "egg" for them. 

spawner eggs:( -1, makes it too easy to transfer huge amount of creatures around...

• Like 1

yes on the first, no on the second question.

i agree with those people saying that the devs need to have a proper income with the game to contract more of the currently working devs and possibly expand the team or outsource specific tasks to keep the game running smoothly and shorten the development cycle, people keep saying they want stuff to be introduced and fixed faster after all.

as for some people wondering that the devs even make money, well. i for one always buy my prem from the cash shop unless i just randomly want to prem a strongwaller for a week. the important chars are always shop premd tho. and i keep buying sleep powder so those people must be buying their prem from the shop too ;)

I'm fine with the cash shop idea. Hope it has 1 shot tomes. ( better duck into the mine the flames will be incoming)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

wts flame shields

How much?

Just now, Becket said:

How much?

[17:25:56] <Retrograde> 500e

@Retrogradeare there any plans to rebalance some of the prices on traders/the cash shop too?

2 hours ago, Bonsai said:

{snip}

Wurm has always been a game where everything* was built and created by the players, within the game. From shaping the landscape to the rug in front of your fireplace. Someone trained their skills, gathered the resources and crafted it all.

{snip}

I don't disagree with you.  However, I still voted in support of what the devs are planning. 1(a) 2(b).

A few reasons:

1. It may be worse if that tower that took me a long time to build can now just be bought and dropped by a phat cat within 3 minutes.  Having the items be separate keeps it clear how it was acquired and how it came to be.
  2. It can cut both ways, socially.  Yes, someone might have shiny you don't have.  However, there's no guarantee how that will be regarded.  Some are bound to start denigrating store bought items.  Silly, but it happens in every game with a cash shop.
  3. In games like Planetside 2, I found it pretty fun to occasionally treat myself to some new bling.  It did not, at all, mean I was better at the game just because I got me some stylin' wheels on a Friday night.  It just meant I got stylin' wheels on a Friday night.  That's all.

I can see why some things would be as expensive as 50€, but I do wonder if some fun stuff only costing a few euros might also be a good idea.  Maybe a variant of the month type of thing.

A few bucks here and there, I'd impulse buy that.  $50... that's a lot of dog food, dog toys, etc.  I wouldn't be very quick to jump on that, if ever.

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with a game generating income from selling cosmetic items.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Just to clarify, as it seems many are jumping to rather dubious conclusions in both here and other areas.

The current plans for cash shop items are:

Golden mirrors that allow gender changes

Items that are currently stocked on traders

From there we'll be looking at things that have been long requested, and things that have zero impact on play. As for what they are, and how they will come in, and what else comes with them will be discussed later.

You mean I can finally be a male character again??? OMG!!!

After all these years, where my character was made female after someone used /gofemale on my toon, I CAN CHANGE! Welcome to 2017 folks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

There is nothing wrong with a game generating income from selling cosmetic items.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't like it when it comes to:

"Hey that's a cool hat you've got, where did you get it?"

"Oh it's 25e on the cash shop"

I enjoy fancy cosmetics as much as the next person...I will most likely even purchase a few (given reasonable prices) should they be added.

I'm probably falling too far into the 'slippery slope' idea and looking too far down the line at what may become of it.

If it's just a few items here and there, that's fine I guess.

I had a previously enjoyed game be ruined with the addition of a cash shop, I just don't want to see Wurm suffer the same fate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bonsai said:

Wurm has always been a game where everything* was built and created by the players, within the game. From shaping the landscape to the rug in front of your fireplace. Someone trained their skills, gathered the resources and crafted it all.

Since the addition of rifts and some older items this has ceased to be the case. But at least the items were available in-game for for all to acquire and came in the form of rewards for playing.

As I mentioned in the roadmap thread, these new cash shop items are going to be superior to anything we can craft in-game. They have to be, or why would anyone pay for them? (Sure, there is some personal preference)

This is against the spirit of Wurm Online.

You haven't seen the type and amount of unique rare/supreme items that are given during/after gm events, you'll drop your hat and eat it..
Which kind of got me the absolute same train of thought.. all there is.. is player made.. plus.. the gm rewards, some of which.. rare/supreme tools ql100, or with lower weight on top of that
 *shrugs*

anyway..

I don't know if anyone even bothers buying sleep powders from traders at 5s /each.. lowering that to 4-3s. each.. is... going to give somebody an advantage.. but also help the game remain around.. servers, support.. costs money, development also, staff's growing, etc..

At a time.. I thought that game shop could/should sell also enchanted tools.. at decent ql.. 90-100.. even... with slightly higher price tag.. above teh avrg for the market.. 2-3x that.. whoever wants to .. could support the game by spending real money to get such items that way... or use the game market.

It's not like.. you can't ask a friend to get free/barter 90cast/+.. and skip using the market.. how is it different.. when you have the option to donate a few more 'coins' to help the game?

Why this isn't pay2win or OP? it's 2-3x the usual market price and helps the game.. what's to hate about it?

What do you guys/girls think?:huh:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

You haven't seen the type and amount of unique rare/supreme items that are given during/after gm events, you'll drop your hat and eat it..
Which kind of got me the absolute same train of thought.. all there is.. is player made.. plus.. the gm rewards, some of which.. rare/supreme tools ql100, or with lower weight on top of that
 *shrugs*

anyway..

Oh I've seen them and I almost did.

• Like 1

its not about something better on the cash shop necessarily.  Exclusivity doesnt mean better.  Something on the cash shop could have different detailing to a similar item in the game.  One is craftable and one is available for purchase should one choose.

Seriously, we are talking about cosmetic items here.  This could benefit crafters as well.  If the cash shop is successful, more items will be added and hopefully, more similar items will be added to in game crafting systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonsai said:

I'm probably falling too far into the 'slippery slope' idea and looking too far down the line at what may become of it.

If it's just a few items here and there, that's fine I guess.

I had a previously enjoyed game be ruined with the addition of a cash shop, I just don't want to see Wurm suffer the same fate.

And this is the heart of the issue--done incorrectly, it could "ruin" Wurm.  However, not doing anything at all also results in issues.  A balanced approach is required and so far at any rate, the devs seem to have the correct approach in my view. 

• Like 1

I'm aware that what I asked for.. was not 'cosmetic', but with 2-3x the usual market value for items.. that wont be an issue to compete with player prices, and whoever wants to buy such goods - helps the game directly; another thing is .. premium time gifts that somebody have mentioned(no idea where I read that); small things that some have been looking for.

Trader price for sleep powders is 5silver.. vs 1silver bought from a player :/

At 3-4s per powder.. it still limits the amount somebody could buy.. but also allows players to help the game further; pay 2 win? if not like this.. anyone with enough resources.. could just spend them somewhere else.. and that wont go to such good cause. Is that better?

Not to toot my own horn, but I've mentioned this many times in threads suggesting this:

Don't sell the items, sell 1-shot RECIPES.

I buy the "Golden Valhalla Knarr" recipe for that ship upgrade kit, I still need the gold bars, gold wire, silver wire, a few gems, and the proper tools to apply it ingame.

Could lead to even more variety, some with and some without skill requirements for example.

• Like 6

I think they should also add cash items for those seldom used slots such as capes and some jewelry. Completely cosmetic. Other options would be a token to change the look of your burlap starter clothing (different colors, different texture, etc) and perhaps cosmetic only hats. Other things that could be added would be shield insignias for PMKs (you attach to shield like a rune and it displays your kingdom's logo on it), logos on boat sails (same as with shields) or even horse barding with kingdom logos as well.

These are fully cosmetic options that have no effect on any other skill, but that people would be all over to pay for. Who wouldn't love to proudly display kingdom colors on their horse? It is also an item applied to the existing item which would require someome to craft the gear, and may even increase the trade on certain items (I already see TC buying these items to go into battle in style ^_^.)

Cosmetics can be done in a way that doesnt hamper gameplay. Not everything has to be a piece of gear that replaces an existing one.

• Like 2

Some specific items available *only* from the Wurm Shop would be a great way for the game to generate more income that could not be avoided by the silver earners/traders/creators in-game. This means of course that they could not be purchased from Traders in-game. Players pay cash directly to the WShop and get these exclusive items.

Such as: As for a Wurm Shop ***only*** item, I would like to see a weapon slot equipped item that would make the user immune to all hostile mob aggression/attacks. Equipped to this slot it would also make the user unable to attack anything as well, or assist others with healing effects. Then just put a 5 minute timer on it for equip on/off. Like the Fo priest immunity only works against all hostile mobs. Well worth a RL cash price to walk these lands in peace, I would say.

All these type items would be bound to the game Character as well so as not to be sold off as players cash out, other than as a additional bonus to that Character. Won't pay the price, don't get the items. Simple really. Great idea! Thanks for mentioning it.

=Ayes=

1 hour ago, Mordraug said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I've mentioned this many times in threads suggesting this:

Don't sell the items, sell 1-shot RECIPES.

I buy the "Golden Valhalla Knarr" recipe for that ship upgrade kit, I still need the gold bars, gold wire, silver wire, a few gems, and the proper tools to apply it ingame.

Could lead to even more variety, some with and some without skill requirements for example.

This is a cool twist on it. +1 :)

I'll be glad for cash shop items as long as it's limited to trader items or cosmetic stuff that cannot be made in game (no clothes, no weapons, etc). Personally I would love a pet with NO benefits-not killable, doesn't fight, doesn't act as a listener for sermons, etc. Just a kitty or dog or whatever that can follow you around. I know that's corny, but they're fun. 

• Like 7