Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai

Wurm Cosmetic Cash Shop

Cosmetic Cash Shop  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a cosmetic cash shop?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the items be available by other means?

• Yes
    • No
    • I voted 'No' in Question 1

From May's Roadmap:

"The web shop we are working on updating more with plans to look at having items directly available from the shop instead of just silver. The items that will use this new system will be specific cosmetic items that aren’t available in game via any other means, such as the upcoming golden mirror."

Wurm has always been a game where everything* was built and created by the players, within the game. From shaping the landscape to the rug in front of your fireplace. Someone trained their skills, gathered the resources and crafted it all.

Since the addition of rifts and some older items this has ceased to be the case. But at least the items were available in-game for for all to acquire and came in the form of rewards for playing.

As I mentioned in the roadmap thread, these new cash shop items are going to be superior to anything we can craft in-game. They have to be, or why would anyone pay for them? (Sure, there is some personal preference)

This is against the spirit of Wurm Online.

Edited by Bonsai
  • Like 3

I am all for the cash shop. The game is easy enough to pay for prem and other goodies without buying silver so CC needs some income somewhere. Otherwise what will you pay devs with?

• Like 3

I completely second the above remark. Frankly, with the in-game economy the way it is, it amazes me that the staff make any money at all. 

I can not wait to buy a mirror!(or 3) :D

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

I am all for the cash shop. The game is easy enough to pay for prem and other goodies without buying silver so CC needs some income somewhere. Otherwise what will you pay devs with?

Someone, somewhere paid for the silver that pays your premium. True, it could have been a while ago given the recycling of silver they implemented.

More players would = more revenue for the developers, why not pursue that harder?

I've always hated paying for a game, where you don't get everything included in the game.

Paying your monthly sub should cover it.

At least put the items on traders in-game, so people can purchase it with silver they earned from others, if nothing else.

Edited by Bonsai

Voted 'yes' for 2nd question, but I think there must be items available only through the cash shop (such as gender changing mirror, for instance, why not), but also should be something available in the game via some complicated process.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 3

Just now, Bonsai said:

Someone, somewhere paid for the silver that pays your premium. True, it could have been a while ago given the recycling of silver they implemented.

More players would = more revenue for the developers, why not pursue that harder?

Because it's easier to code a store than fix the community ^_^

The store'll mostly be used by diehards anyways.

Besides, I can already see the main argument:  "Muh 8 hour a day gaming sacrifice!" ... yeah, say that to account buyers and sellers.

Now folks with only a couple of hours a day or less to play can still pimp their stuff, meaning they keep their higher incomes focused toward the game.  Those are also the ones who recycle less silver since they ain't go the time to begin with soooo.... 

Keep the spenders, get more cash to develop, new features bring more players.

"Wurm is about the CRAFTING!" .... eeeeh yes, but people seem to forget the real reason most people stick around:

TO CREATE REALLY PRETTY AND IMPRESSIVE STUFF TO SHOW OFF, AND SHOW IT OFF A LOT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zigozag said:

Voted Yes for cash shop and Yes for other means of acquiring goods sold in it, but I'm actually on a fence about the 2nd question. I think there must be items available only through the cash shop (such as gender changing mirror, for instance, why not), but also should me something available in the game via some complicated process.

Why shouldn't gender changes just be something that is in the game already? It doesn't cost the developers anything.

I don't mind paying deed upkeep, as it actually costs the developers something to run the servers. (Same as paying for premium)

You could argue that new cosmetic items take time and money to create. I would argue that that price is what we pay for with our monthly sub. (Server upkeep + ongoing development)

3 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

"Wurm is about the CRAFTING!" .... eeeeh yes, but people seem to forget the real reason most people stick around:

TO CREATE REALLY PRETTY AND IMPRESSIVE STUFF TO SHOW OFF, AND SHOW IT OFF A LOT.

I agree with you on that point.

But then it becomes a point of "well, why bother crafting this beautiful supreme 99.99ql cloth armor set when XXX can just buy something much nicer for 50e on the cash shop?"

2 minutes ago, Bonsai said:

why bother crafting this beautiful supreme 99.99ql cloth armor set when XXX can just buy something much nicer for 50e on the cash shop?"

Wait a minute... "The items that will use this new system will be specific cosmetic items"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bonsai said:

Why shouldn't gender changes just be something that is in the game already? It doesn't cost the developers anything.

I don't mind paying deed upkeep, as it actually costs the developers something to run the servers. (Same as paying for premium)

You could argue that new cosmetic items take time and money to create. I would argue that that price is what we pay for with our monthly sub. (Server upkeep + ongoing development)

By that logic, we shouldn't have to pay for virtually anything we do in-game, because it doesn't cost the devs anything...
Yes, running the servers costs money. However, beyond that, no individual thing we do costs the devs anything. Your logic is faulty. I completely disagree with you. :)

Edited by Matholameu
Muh bad. :P
  • Like 1

If the items were available by other means it kind of makes the items in the cash shop redundant. If they make the cash shop items tradable then there will be plenty of them out there for the game coin players to get their hands on. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

By that logic, we shouldn't have to pay for virtually anything we do in-game, because it doesn't cost the devs anything...
Yes, running the servers costs money. However, beyond that, no individual thing we do costs the devs anything. Your logic is faulty. 

What else do we pay for other than deeds and subscription?

(The current items on traders I already disagree with)

1 minute ago, Kegan said:

If the items were available by other means it kind of makes the items in the cash shop redundant. If they make the cash shop items tradable then there will be plenty of them out there for the game coin players to get their hands on. 

Then why place them on some web cash store and not just put them in the already existing trader system, so people can purchase silvers to buy them, use silvers earned in-game or buy from other players who got them from the store.

4 minutes ago, Bonsai said:

What else do we pay for other than deeds and subscription?

(The current items on traders I already disagree with)

Nothing, that's my whole point. The game needs more revenue coming in, some items that we have to pay for I don't view as a bad thing. 
There is nothing else we pay for, and there is not enough $ coming in, so, they should make more things to pay for. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bonsai said:

Then why place them on some web cash store and not just put them in the already existing trader system, so people can purchase silvers to buy them, use silvers earned in-game or buy from other players who got them from the store.

Well to be honest they want the cash from them not some silver they have already gotten the money off of. 

Just now, Matholameu said:

Nothing, that's my whole point. The game needs more revenue coming in, some items that we have to pay for I don't view as a bad thing. 
There is nothing else we pay for, and there is not enough $ coming in, so, they should make more things to pay for. 

How is my logic faulty then?

4 minutes ago, Bonsai said:

How is my logic faulty then?

Looking back on it, your logic is not faulty. I just disagree with you 100%. My bad. :)

Edit: I edited the previous comment. :P

Edited by Matholameu
Muh bad.

29 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Voted 'yes' for 2nd question, but I think there must be items available only through the cash shop (such as gender changing mirror, for instance, why not), but also should be something available in the game via some complicated process.

Same reasoning as above poster, but voted No on the second question.

There must be exclusive items to the shop, but if a few are achievable (albeit with effort) in game, that's great too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jberg said:

There must be exclusive items to the shop

Why?

Why?

Because if there aren't any exclusive items in shop the new items will act just like silver used to and eventually be horded.
Then people won't bother to buy them from cash shop anymore, then they'll need to roll out a whole new revenue stream. 
I could be wrong, but that's my opinion on it. 

As a side note. I think if Wurm really wanted to fix it's revenue issues they'd drop the price on silver to 1 euro per.
Yes, I hear you, then the players would just drop their prices on silver. However, players will only be willing to drop the price so much and just looking at consumer spending habits in general. People prefer flat item costs to $1.XX per unit. Because most people don't like maths. :P (Although I'm not sure if any of those people play Wurm. lol )

• Like 1

Why?

Exclusivity. Say Person A buys unique skin X from the shop for €10. Then person B with 100 skill in the skills required makes a million of them and sells them for 2s, wouldn't you feel cheated?

This makes, for one, person A feel cheated, and for second, anyone else coming after unwilling to buy from the shop since they can just wait a little and get the same thing for a fraction of the price.

Do take note that I did not specify *all* items from the shop must be exclusive, just some.

Also as a disclaimer, to make sure, this is my personal point of view and not representative of Code Club ABs stance.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jberg said:

Exclusivity. Say Person A buys unique skin X from the shop for €10. Then person B with 100 skill in the skills required makes a million of them and sells them for 2s, wouldn't you feel cheated?

Wouldn't you feel cheated if you grinded your tailoring to 100 over the past few years, spending months on it only to have someone spend 10e and buy a shirt that looks better than anything you can make?

It isn't even exclusive, unless it's limited number or limited time sale. (which leads to a whole host of other issues...)

I get it, I've bought cosmetics in other themepark mmo's before. I just don't think it fits with Wurm... especially when you can't even see your own character any way.

I guess 3rd person will be released at the same time so people can see what they're missing if they don't purchase from the store.

Edited by Bonsai

Wouldn't you feel cheated if you grinded your tailoring to 100 over the past few years, spending months on it only to have someone spend 10e and buy a shirt that looks better than anything you can make?

It isn't even exclusive, unless it's limited number or limited time sale. (which leads to a whole host of other issues...)

I get it, I've bought cosmetics in other themepark mmo's before. I just don't think it fits with Wurm... especially when you can't even see your own character any way.

I guess 3rd person will be released at the same time so people can see what they're missing if they don't purchase from the store.

I can't see me, so who cares what I look like. - Um.... most of us. 

I don't think it will come to completely devalue cloth tailoring. Those exclusive items will still need to be imped, and there will be people who still prefer the regular cloth items, aaand, maybe they could add some new tailoring items that look BA to compensate. 

2 minutes ago, Matholameu said:

I can't see me, so who cares what I look like. - Um.... most of us. 

I don't think it will come to completely devalue cloth tailoring. Those exclusive items will still need to be imped, and there will be people who still prefer the regular cloth items, aaand, maybe they could add some new tailoring items that look BA to compensate. 

Creating equally good looking clothing that is available in-game would mostly defeat the purpose.

The idea is that you pay 10e and get something that looks superior...otherwise no one would buy it.

As for imping, I guarantee you they wont be selling 1ql cosmetics you need to then imp.

13 minutes ago, Bonsai said:

Creating equally good looking clothing that is available in-game would mostly defeat the purpose.

The idea is that you pay 10e and get something that looks superior...otherwise no one would buy it.

As for imping, I guarantee you they wont be selling 1ql cosmetics you need to then imp.

I don't think it would defeat the purpose if they're sufficiently different. People have different tastes.

No, of course they wouldn't sell 1QL items. But, if they make it so they take damage, they'll need imping some time.