Sign in to follow this  
newman330

Crude automations

A lot has happened over the years in Wurm.  Society is developing and people 'should' be getting smarter.  Couple this with the invasions from space and you have a formula for advancement.  We also have trolls showing a fondness for cooking never before seen scattering their recipes far and wide - even the trolls are showing signs of evolution  :)

As a result of Wurm's inevitable advancement, I was thinking a few 'quality of life' contraptions/automations might be in order.  Some examples could be:

- veggie chopper

- meat dicer / chopper / filet'er

- juicer

- etc

How would i propose to implement these you ask?  I would tie each of these crude devices to a rare drop from a rift plus a randomly dropped rare 'blueprint' - maybe from trolls, goblins, rift creatures, etc

each would need a source of power, so maybe steam from the recently discovered still - each could be an attachment that required either high fine carpentry or high blacksmithing to craft and attach to the still.

In order to balance such powerful machines with the die hard grinding community, i'd suggest steep penalties for using them.  Potential penalties:

- cooldown - similar to mediation

- sleep bonus cost

- big stamina hit

- no skill acquired when using

- hard limit on quantity produced in a given 24hr period.

Who would benefit:

- someone just wanting to make grape juice for wine but not necessarily wanting to be a champion beverage guy/gal

- someone wanting to prepare favor for channeling grind but not necessarily wanting to become an expert 'cook'

- folks looking for new high level craftables

- folks wanting an adventure - finding the rift item and the blueprint shouldnt be easy

- merchants who could buy and sell rare components

Its a concept that i'm sure could be easily balanced within the Wurm biome. Any thoughts?

The major problem with this is.... well one of many, is we play Wurm online not Wurm2040 Online. I think the game is going for a medieval feel not an industrial feel so tbh i don't see any of those being a thing outside of WU

I'd rather see more things in the wurm era added rather than waiting a few years till we are all flying around in spaceships powered by unicorn tears ;) 

• Like 1

admittedly none of what the OP has posted, will make it's way in, I would however like to see wurm advance beyond where it is now, maybe add things like windmills, water mills, glass windows and so forth.

• Like 2

Kind of for this... to a point. In fact when its come up in the past, I even saved a rant for it.

Let me guess, the OP didn't play the game back when Fo priests had to make cloth squares for favor.  Now all priests have benefited GREATLY from being able to sacrifice chopped veggies... but that's not good enough so now you want the game to do it for you? 

I want automation stuff, nothing to powerful it might just be similar to how distilling works currently. Want some planks? Place some logs in a sawmill thingy and after a week goes by you might have 300 planks or something keep it balanced and on the high end for crafters so they can use there skills for something.

Auto miner/drill for surface mining and mine use placed against a wall, that would work on coal (so high end use)

a windmill/watermill for making flour

fish traps, animal traps

meat smoker (could be a way to improve meat QL)

chicken coops (omg please add this)

stamp mill (crush rock shards into bricks, iron ore into iron ingots etc)

a better ore smelter

compost bin let farmers sow the fields with a crop enhancing special compost

bunch of other things it's hard to think of them all, most of these have been around since ancient times it's not really that far fetched, not to mention nice new on deed decorations that actually do stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Let me guess, the OP didn't play the game back when Fo priests had to make cloth squares for favor.

Back in my day... ! *shakes cane angrily*

+1 to OP and Niki

Edited by zigozag

-1 to any automation at all.

because you gotta remember that anything in this game that exists can just be spat out in the dozens or hundreds. so what if a sawmill would only produce 1k/week? ill just make 200 of them, throw in a bunch of logs once and keep harvesting my several hundred planks a day.

the only thing i could agree with in nikis post is a better smelter that you can throw in whole crates and you loose the crate and it spits out 6 combined lumps from a full crate. comes at the cost of a crate, has a huge downside but it does make life easier for very lazy people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arium said:

-1 to any automation at all.

because you gotta remember that anything in this game that exists can just be spat out in the dozens or hundreds. so what if a sawmill would only produce 1k/week? ill just make 200 of them, throw in a bunch of logs once and keep harvesting my several hundred planks a day.

the only thing i could agree with in nikis post is a better smelter that you can throw in whole crates and you loose the crate and it spits out 6 combined lumps from a full crate. comes at the cost of a crate, has a huge downside but it does make life easier for very lazy people.

Limits could be added and introduced per deed or per character. Alternatively they should be very expensive to craft like mission items are, maybe even harder. The system would be a big undertaking, and let's face it probably wont happen in WO - but it would be nice to have a few of what I suggested added.

43 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Let me guess, the OP didn't play the game back when Fo priests had to make cloth squares for favor.  Now all priests have benefited GREATLY from being able to sacrifice chopped veggies... but that's not good enough so now you want the game to do it for you? 

I can 'almost' feel the emotion in your response.   :)  To answer your question, Ive made cloth squares, cordage, locks and a few yoyo's.

I stated that these automations would be crude...  not modern.  I bet there were more than a few medieval contraptions - when were clocks invented?  maybe let us have windmills to power contraptions if steam is a bit too far out of period for some's comfort.

Heck - we have intergalactic space dogs tearing up the world and giving us nice stuff.  They've already taught us how to cover our shoulders - just to point at one advancement   :P

Im not suggesting anything that would hurt pvp or deed building or crafting.  Crafters should always make the best stuff.  Im suggesting having a way to automate a few mundane tasks to let those of us who'd rather be out exploring / adventuring have a choice on how we get our 'fuels'.  Nothing wrong with promoting the adventure side of the game a little.

Also... automations in my view should be very hard to get and maintain...  not like making a barrel for example.

18 hours ago, Niki said:

I want automation stuff, nothing to powerful it might just be similar to how distilling works currently. Want some planks? Place some logs in a sawmill thingy and after a week goes by you might have 300 planks or something keep it balanced and on the high end for crafters so they can use there skills for something.

Auto miner/drill for surface mining and mine use placed against a wall, that would work on coal (so high end use)

fish traps, animal traps

a better ore smelter

bunch of other things it's hard to think of them all, most of these have been around since ancient times it's not really that far fetched, not to mention nice new on deed decorations that actually do stuff.

this +1

-1 from me also. I don't personally think that this type of thing has a place in Wurm.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Niki said:
Spoiler

fish traps, animal traps

a better ore smelter

Rather not see any drills.. let's keep the only boiling "device" to be the distiller:wub:
Wind/watermills.. passable.. if it generates flour really slowly.. to be unable to compete with player made flour, but enough to make your bread,etc.. for own use.

fish traps....:wub: +123 to that... one day.... one day...:wub:; about.. animal traps...rather keep hunting... but... old tracking could be reworked to include 'hunting' and trapping animals with traps, and that way to give some life to that else never used skill on pve.
bee boxes.. kfc boxes.. all the same.. y not

eh.. no to rest.. too automated

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Niki said:

• Auto miner/drill
    • I would go with this, but it would have to be very slow.  The source of power would also be a limiting factor.
  • a windmill/watermill
    • I'd like this, and it could be limited by the ability of having to be placed "on a spring" so that it gets it's water power, or limited by wind strength
  • fish traps, animal traps
    • please?  also bait.
  • meat smoker
    • many have asked for this.  I think we need to start getting away from the BSB, crate, FSB as permanent ways to store things.
  • chicken coops
    • yes please
  • stamp mill
    • this could work if you added more work for the automated side.  such as crushing the rock shards, and then mixing with water and lye, and then baking or drying.
  • a better ore smelter
    • yes please
  • compost bin
    • This to, I'm tired of trying to get animals to "stay in place" just for a damn crop buff.

-1 no ty to automation, effort and interaction should be rewarded

-1 I love the suggestion, If i were to have wurm unlimited and played on a small server where premium was free then I would download this mod immediately to make building huge areas less of a pain (assuming i don't mess with the timer). My problem is that some people rely on selling bulk goods. If these crude automations are hard to get, then the best players will get it. And, as far as i know, the best players have money to spare and usually buy these bulk materials from newer players.

Think about the newbies :( 

Would be very tough to balance just right.

Too easy to produce, and like someone said you could just make 100 sawmills to pump out thousands of planks in a day.

Too hard and it isn't worth the effort. With high enough skill you could make 100 planks in a few minutes.

Possibly a better solution would be a device you have to manually use, that increases output but sacrifices quality.

With a high skill requirement to produce and upkeep, it could be used as a way for higher skilled players to have newer players work for them in a more efficient manner?

Just a quickly thought out proposal.

• Like 1