Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Wurm Roadmap May 2017

Why is epic so holy. It did not complete it's originally intended objectives (run term+full reset) and has become stale and died. At this point the only way epic could be good again is a map + character reset which won't happen because the remaining population which hasn't self terminated will defend violently the corpse of the server. Adding more endgame witchery and meta and tooling with valrei will only lead to other crappy balance changes or just literally nothing.

Look at the state of high end pvp. Only the true diehards or wallet warriors can compete one on one and the meta is so convoluted and only gets worse. Epic is a bombed out ruin and chaos is the waiting room for account trades. New players will never get truly involved in pvp like this unless someone gets them an account. A lot of pvpers are reading this road map and consigning themselves to oblivion until other games release

• Like 1

8 hours ago, salahahdin said:

Why is epic so holy. It did not complete it's originally intended objectives (run term+full reset) and has become stale and died. At this point the only way epic could be good again is a map + character reset which won't happen because the remaining population which hasn't self terminated will defend violently the corpse of the server. Adding more endgame witchery and meta and tooling with valrei will only lead to other crappy balance changes or just literally nothing.

Look at the state of high end pvp. Only the true diehards or wallet warriors can compete one on one and the meta is so convoluted and only gets worse. Epic is a bombed out ruin and chaos is the waiting room for account trades. New players will never get truly involved in pvp like this unless someone gets them an account. A lot of pvpers are reading this road map and consigning themselves to oblivion until other games release

LoL

So in your opinion Chaos is better? Most of your post could be applied to Chaos not Epic. Terminate Chaos and you will see the real PvP live with no loot transfer to safe freedom servers... etc. Epic should remain the only one PvP arena in Wurm. Freedom should stay for ppl who loves PvE and Economy only. Epic for all!

Thanks to the development team. You do a great things guys:)

Edited by Gamurin

I keep reading the complaints of pvpers here and other parts of the forums and most of the time I have to facepalm.  It's assumed that you cannot join in on pvp unless you're a 'diehard' or 'wallet warrior' which is completely not true.  Does that make it easier? Maybe...but honestly anyone can compete if they want to pvp, they just can't jump in and assume they can kill the strongest accounts immediately.

If you look at my Niarja uploads, you can see that I went to chaos in July/August 2015; I was a complete pvp newb, I've actually refused to pvp in any other game but wurm because I hate the mentality pvp brings. I went to chaos to learn the pvp mechanics and become a better CA, and stayed because it was fun when I let it be.  My skills were entirely freedomer, the only weapon skill I really had was two handed sword at the time.  Check out shields, longsword, etc and you can see I'm telling the truth.  

Did I die in chaos? Sure! That's how pvp works, in case you hadn't noticed.  Did I die in one on one fights? Nope.  For one, you rarely find those in chaos anyway, and for another, most fighting is done in groups.  MR took me in, taught me to fight and defend and how to work in a team.  And most of all, how to have fun doing it.  Just like any other kingdom could probably say of their players.  The only reason I left was the metagaming had reached a level that was unacceptable to me.

TLDR: If you want to pvp, find a good group, work on your character and HAVE FUN doing it.  And those that whine endlessly, please stop ruining the game for everyone else.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Gamurin said:

LoL

So in your opinion Chaos is better? Most of your post could be applied to Chaos not Epic. Terminate Chaos and you will see the real PvP live with no loot transfer to safe freedom servers... etc. Epic should remain the only one PvP arena in Wurm. Freedom should stay for ppl who loves PvE and Economy only. Epic for all!

Thanks to the development team. You do a great things guys:)

Both have equal problems to be honest

On 11/05/2017 at 0:32 AM, Greyfox said:

Sure you can opt out, if you want to take the penality of not having full CCFP.   Full fat making SB last ~30% longer is kind of a huge penality to stick everyone with who doesn't want to constantly be preparing meals.
Sure it's great having more variety for those who wanted it, but they really didn't need to make cooking such a requirement now.  I'm fairly sure(But not positive) that before cooking was released it was said those who want to cook the old way can without penalty.   CCFP adds a penalty for cooking the old way(Unless you have insanely high HFC meals don't give full bars unless you are starving when you eat, and then your CCFP bars go down fast then your food because of high Nut so you sit with almost empty bars constantly.  

Cooking update and stupid fatigue system.   Make the first less micromanage annoying(Or less of a requirement) and get rid of the second and I'm out of things to complain about.... Well out of things that annoy me regularly enough that they drag down my enjoyment of Wurm.     

EDIT:  Also how long it takes for posts to save after the forum migration is also a regular annoyance :)

No, CCFP is a bonus for using the new system.  If you choose not to use it, then you don't get the bonus.  You just like to pretend it's a penalty because...well, I'm not sure, really.  You like complaining that the devs (and most other people) don't agree with your whims?  If all you want is full CCFP, then just do what you always did before 1.3, and basically done - a reasonable quality (40-50ish) meat+veg meal will fill your bars and nutrition.  Oh, but then you won't get the extra affinity bonus, and poor penalised you will have something else to whine about. 

Something as simple as cottage pie will fill your CCFP and keep it filled even at low HFC (and I mean 20-30 HFC) without having to 'starve' to get the benefit.  If you don't know how to make it, try asking a friend.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Klaa said:

merchandising clip

Always wanted the flamethrower. Now, maybe I can get a Wurm one.

6 minutes ago, As_I_Decay said:

Always wanted the flamethrower. Now, maybe I can get a Wurm one.

Flamenwurmer

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Flamenwurmer

It wurms flamen

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wonka said:

No, CCFP is a bonus for using the new system.  If you choose not to use it, then you don't get the bonus.  You just like to pretend it's a penalty because...well, I'm not sure, really.  You like complaining that the devs (and most other people) don't agree with your whims?  If all you want is full CCFP, then just do what you always did before 1.3, and basically done - a reasonable quality (40-50ish) meat+veg meal will fill your bars and nutrition.  Oh, but then you won't get the extra affinity bonus, and poor penalised you will have something else to whine about. 

No, it's a penalty.  The bonus was supposed to be the affinities.   A nice bonus that doesn't give huge advantage to the people who use them.
30% sleep bonus advantage on the other hand provides a huge disadvantage to people who don't want to play "Iron Chef online".  It may come as a surprise, but not everyone who plays Wurm like to micromanage everything, and that's all the new cooking did, was add more crap to micro manage.    And the whole new cooking interface is just crap.  For something they apparently spent a year on, it's annoying and poorly implemented.

I seriously don't think you understand what the word penalty means...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

I seriously don't think you understand what the word penalty means...

I do, and this feels like a penalty, at the very least punitive incentive to shut up and swallow the new cooking META even though the entire system is poorly implemented and frankly just a pain in the ass.  
"Oh hey, you don't like the cooking system?  want to play Wurm just the way you could before with little effort put into maintaining food and nutrition? Well you can, but we're going to put you at a huge disadvantage by adding another system based on food."  

It took cooking and meal prep in game from something you didn't really have to do, a system you could almost opt out of, like pretty much any other skill in game(For example, fighting, don't like fighting, you can almost entirely opt out of it),  to something that has now become a borderline requirement to playing without being put at a disadvantage.

Lets go back to fighting.  If you don't fight you don't gain fight skill.  Disadvantage, you wont be able to defend yourself.   Solution, ride a horse, you'd be doing that even if you liked fighting
Don't like new cooking system.  Disadvantage, you're put at Stamina, SB, Favor regen, food and water drain disadvantage.  Solution, suck it up and like the new cooking system because the staff doesn't listen to complaints anyway.

This really works for every skill, no skill is as important as cooking is now.    Cooking is now a requirement.  

EDIT:  Also how long it takes for posts to save after the forum migration is also a regular annoyance :)    <------------ This!!!!!

9 hours ago, Greyfox said:

There's a difference between penalty and disadvantage, something that's being used interchangeably by you it seems.

A penalty would imply that the implemented cooking system made it so that you need full CCFP to be on par with simply eating a meal before the cooking system was added, that having anything less than 100% CCFP means ending up with faster stamina, food%, water% and sleep bonus consumption/drain.

This is not the case. Instead, being at 0% CCFP will have you burn aforementioned at the same rate as before the current cooking system.

Yes, the increase in sleep bonus efficiency with full CCFP is very significant, and indeed not using it will put you at a disadvantage. However, same applies to many other aspects of Wurm - and games in general.
Playing less hours than other people puts you at a disadvantage, not having 104 power enchanted tools and optimal QL/etc. for whatever action with whatever intents and purposes puts you at a disadvantage compared to someone who does. Not going around farming/buying people's affinities on Chaos is a disadvantage compared to those who do. Having less money to throw at Wurm or earning less money ingame puts you at a disadvantage. Heck, having less player connections - and even worse internet connection - will have you at a disadvantage.

There's zero penalty for any of those things, though.

With disadvantages where you yourself as a player have control over how much you let it affect you - like with the cooking system - it's up to you personally to decide whether or not the added effort is worth it or not.

It sounds like it's not worth your effort to get some less than bare minimum food, even if the low effort of even half-decent meals fully negates such a seemingly (for you) huge disadvantage.

That's your choice naturally, nobody's forcing you to do otherwise, but personally I don't see what complaining about it adds to your benefit - let alone to this thread.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Raamkozijn said:

Playing less hours than other people puts you at a disadvantage,

Oh good way to segue into the fatigue system, that punishes you for playing more.......

Point being with the new cooking system is they created a new META. A META that made one skill a requirement unless you want to be put at a huge disadvantage.  No other skill puts you at a huge disadvantage without a viable solution aside from the priest skills(ANd those make sense for balance).   And then they made cooking such a pain in the ass micro manage process.....  It's a poorly implemented system, with a lazy interface(Right click menus only, come on....) to many unneeded steps in meal prep that just drag the process out, and simply interrupts the flow of game play.

Why is asking them to improve this ###### system such a fight?  

6 hours ago, Raamkozijn said:

With disadvantages where you yourself as a player have control over how much you let it affect you - like with the cooking system - it's up to you personally to decide whether or not the added effort is worth it or not.

Except they changed a core mechanic that has operated the same for years and now put in a forced disadvantage for not taking part in it.    Instead of fixing even one of the broken mechanics, or one of the game breaking bugs, they change a core mechanic that was working and made it a pain in the ass.....  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Except they changed a core mechanic that has operated the same for years and now put in a forced disadvantage for not taking part in it.    Instead of fixing even one of the broken mechanics, or one of the game breaking bugs, they change a core mechanic that was working and made it a pain in the ass.....  

The core mechanic was intentionally left alone with one exception: We removed all the remaining disadvantages of low nutrition. You can make the same food with the same resulting nutrition/food gains in the same way. You can completely ignore this update and you can even toggle off the CCFP meters.

What we did was added a new system that operates on top of the old one at the base level. We added bonuses for participating in the new system. It is entirely opt-in.

This system was designed and implemented by a developer who has a focus on new features. We have other developers, including myself, that tend to focus on bugs. Indeed, if you review the patch notes you will see that the entire team worked together over the many months cooking was in development to bring many bug fixes out. Budda focused on many broken mechanics as well.

The evidence for all of what I say is freely available on in the patch notes here on this forum.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Oh good way to segue into the fatigue system, that punishes you for playing more.......

Point being with the new cooking system is they created a new META. A META that made one skill a requirement unless you want to be put at a huge disadvantage.  No other skill puts you at a huge disadvantage without a viable solution aside from the priest skills(ANd those make sense for balance).   And then they made cooking such a pain in the ass micro manage process.....  It's a poorly implemented system, with a lazy interface(Right click menus only, come on....) to many unneeded steps in meal prep that just drag the process out, and simply interrupts the flow of game play.

Why is asking them to improve this ###### system such a fight? 

It may appear to be a fight because it is not agreed that cooking is a poor system.  However, I think we can all agree some folks don't like it.

Huge disadvantage is hyperbole.  In the grander scheme of things, there are many more substantial disadvantages one may be affected by.  Have me teleported to Chaos sometime, you will see the meaning of huge disadvantage as my blood spurts in all directions simultaneously.

Pro-tip:  Bring a poncho, it gets messy.

Lack of a bonus is not a disadvantage.  Unavailability of a bonus would be.  The bonus is available to all in a number of ways.

In RL, people who enjoy cooking enjoy making chicken pot pie from scratch.  People who don't enjoy cooking go to a merchant and buy a chicken pot pie. 

Others just chew roadkill jerky chased by a pot of muddy coffee.  I don't judge.

META is entirely overused, and most often incorrectly.

To micromanage does not mean what you think it means.  You tell me to go make a chicken pot pie, while Joey Badafuco over there pulls water from the well.  That's management.

You then come to the kitchen, you hover over my shoulder telling me to peel the carrots from the other direction, dice them smaller, don't use chicken broth at such a slow boil, peel the onions with your left hand... THAT is micromanagement.  Management of details done by others in a way that is intrusive and unnecessary, leaving the task best done by your own self.

The fact that I am peeling carrots, chopping carrots, etc.... I'm not micromanaging anything.  I'm just cooking a chicken pot pie, and I sure do love pie.

It has already been agreed by many that an improved UI for the system would probably be beneficial.  The same could be said for healing covers.  New UI in progress. Testing and beneficial feedback more than likely to come.

As for fatigue, no.  It does not in any way punish you for playing the game any particular amount of time.  It punishes you for the way in which you play the game any particular amount of time. 

You play and hit the fatigue wall. 

Mr. Badafuco over there can play the exact same amount of time, and never hit the fatigue wall. 

Fatigue does not punish you for the amount of time you play.

• Like 7

Calling a bonus a disadvantage to those who choose not to take advantage it, and that therefore it shouldn't exist, seems to me to be illogical.  By that line of thinking, bonuses should be completely done away with for anything and everything.  By that line of thinking, there should never be a bonus for anything because some people might choose not to pursue it and would therefore be disadvantaged.  /facepalm

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

In the grander scheme of things, there are many more substantial disadvantages one may be affected by.  Have me teleported to Chaos sometime, you will see the meaning of huge disadvantage as my blood spurts in all directions simultaneously.

Pro-tip:  Bring a poncho, it gets messy.

LOL.  Just had to reply to this part and say most emphatically ME TOO.   :)

Lol without ccfp u are at an enormous disadvantage, Greyfox is right.

I have 60 body stam with the old cooking system, with full ccfp i have 80 body stam. Not a huge advantage?

Pls

• Like 2

Well then, I guess that means there should be no bonuses for anything?  I mean, fair is fair.  How about rares bonuses?  I haven't got a rare knarr, I'm disadvantaged.  How about hell horses?  Too much of a pita to have a hell horse, imo, so I'm disadvantaged with my 5-speed horses.  The list goes on and on. How 'bout all that spiffy stuff at the rifts?  I don't have any because I haven't gone to a rift.  I'm disadvantaged.  lol.  **continues /facepalm**

I played around with cooking for a little while but on the whole I don't think it's for me. I've been playing exactly how I was before and I don't feel disadvantaged or any difference at all. I'm not competing or comparing myself to anyone else while endlessly rebuilding my deed anyway.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Well then, I guess that means there should be no bonuses for anything?  I mean, fair is fair.  How about rares bonuses?  I haven't got a rare knarr, I'm disadvantaged.  How about hell horses?  Too much of a pita to have a hell horse, imo, so I'm disadvantaged with my 5-speed horses.  The list goes on and on. How 'bout all that spiffy stuff at the rifts?  I don't have any because I haven't gone to a rift.  I'm disadvantaged.  lol.  **continues /facepalm**

Rare knar gives roughly a 0.5km speed boost. Not nearly enough to be unbalanced advantage for anyone who has one.  And you're right, they nerfed Hell horses into the ground, making them to much of a pita to use now, but regular horses are still a viable alternative.   Also travel speed has very little to do with skill gain, short of hauling mats from collection area to crafting area. 

2 hours ago, Keenan said:

The core mechanic was intentionally left alone with one exception: We removed all the remaining disadvantages of low nutrition. You can make the same food with the same resulting nutrition/food gains in the same way. You can completely ignore this update and you can even toggle off the CCFP meters.

What we did was added a new system that operates on top of the old one at the base level. We added bonuses for participating in the new system. It is entirely opt-in.

You added bonuses so substantial that its made the new cooking a requirement just to stay on equal footing.   Now this wouldn't be a bad thing(I actually like that part) it's the pain in the ass micro managing required with the new recipes that is the bad part.  So many unneeded actions that just drag things out.   Would it really have been so hard to make a crafting window for cooking(Or simply added them to existing crafting window), container goes in one box, known recipe selected in other box, basic ingredients(Without dicing and mashing and doing a little monkey dance) in inventory and one button to create.    Less skill then doing it the long way ofc and discovering an unknown recipe would require doing it the long way the first time(Or reading a recipe) and this method would make the recipe at it's min weight.
While I'm at it, would it really have been so hard to make all non liquid food go in the Food storage bin with the exception of prepared recipes?  If I could at least stockpile large amounts of ingredients in 1-2hrs that will last me for months it would take a lot of the tedium out of having to prepare most recipes right from scratch every time. Kind of how almost every building and crafting material can be stored in bulk now.  Imagine if you could only store logs ores and shards and every time you needed something you needed to make it from it's base material and it would decay in days if not used.

• Like 1