Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

New Rare System

Right now the rare system is practical, but a bit dull.

I propose an alternate rare system, where a rare item has a specific special effect chosen from a list larger than the maximum number of slots.

Keeping the rare/supreme/fantastic system, the definitions would be changed to:

Rare = 1 special effect

Supreme = 2 special effects

Fantastic = 3 special effects.

The name would still say "Fantastic Huge Axe, iron" while the examination would give more descriptive names of the effects. ex. "This is a Durable, Swift, Defending version of the item."

Special Effects

Special effect lists would be specific to the item or class of items, a sword effect would not make much sense on a cheese drill, after all. Some effects can stack, while others are one only. Remember, these effects are a handful of suggestions, suggest your own if you have an idea!

The intention is that every effect is useful, even if not all are equally useful to everyone. Hunting for that one item with a perfect combination could a very long term personal quest.

Resources (lumps, logs, shards, etc.)

Enhanced Potential (stackable): items made with this are significantly more likely to be rare.

Universal

Durable (stackable): The item is dramatically more resistant to decay and wear from use.

Magic Resonance: Instead of shattering, the item takes 99.9 damage. Better hope it was in good repair.

Self-Mending: Rare chance to repair 5 points of damage when used.

Weapons

Swift: The weapon has a faster swing timer.

Spiked, Weighted, Bladed, Acidic, Frigid, Poisoned, Diseased, Searing, etc: The weapon has a chance to change its damage type when used, which could result in improved or reduced performance depending on the resistances of what’s being struck.

Defending: Weapon has in improved parry ability, allowing weapons that can’t normally parry a small chance to do so.

Sharp: Improved basic damage (similar to current rare effect).

Serrated: Causes bleeding wounds.

Tools (General)

Artisans: Boosts QL of imping and creation using the tool.

Inspired: Random chance of instantly completing the action.

Restful: Random chance of refilling a portion of the users stamina.

Spinning Wheel

Rumpelstiltskin: Very rare chance for the created yarn to be made of gold instead of wool.

Armor

(Monster) Bane: Reflects a portion of all attacks from a specific type of monster (trolls, black bears, etc.) back on them.

(Monster) Ward: Armor is very resistant to attacks from a specific type of monster.

Silent: Increases chance to sneak.

Light: Armor is 50% it’s normal weight.

Campaigning: Reduced movement penalty.

Ships

Phantom Rower (stackable): Same effect as current rare effect.

Ethereal Sails: Even in a dead calm acts as if there was a stiff breeze.

Huge Hold: Cargo capacity is dramatically greater than normal.

These are just a handful of possible examples. If you have some ideas of your own, don’t hold back. let your imagination run wild.

• Like 1

I would be down for using something like the prefix/suffix system we see in other mmo which kind of sounds like what you are describing.

Mainly I like the idea of increasing variety and value. It makes me sad that every tool is the same and only a few points of woa or coc separate yours from mine.

However I think this system would be better implemented via the use of material type or runes.

So +2 and -1 ;) 

I'd rather see this in WU than WO..

It's a good idea.. but closer to everyday mmo, than original wurm style of things.

votes will show what the community thinks

1 hour ago, Aeryck said:

I would be down for using something like the prefix/suffix system we see in other mmo which kind of sounds like what you are describing.

Mainly I like the idea of increasing variety and value. It makes me sad that every tool is the same and only a few points of woa or coc separate yours from mine.

However I think this system would be better implemented via the use of material type or runes.

So +2 and -1 ;) 

Change that to "material type and spells" and you might be onto a +1 from me

• Like 1

+1

I'd also love to see rare animals that have a chance at being turned rare from taming or grooming. Possible qualities:

Immune: cannot become diseased

Swift: additional speed trait

Fertile: has a higher chance at passing on conditions such as champion, greenish, etc., even if male (currently males can't pass on conditions at all)

Fat: remains fat without needing to be fed ever

Let's also make armour that doesn't have spell casting penalties.

It would be nice to give some more functions to the rares that currently have very limited uses, such as rare dirt, herbs, fish, etc. Maybe these could have a small chance of passing on their rarity to something else, like rare strange bones but obviously with only a small chance rather than certainty.

I'd like to see something better for rare farming rolls too. Getting one extra pumpkin or whatever isn't useful at all when you have an entire field of them, and most people don't just farm one tile. Maybe rare farming rolls could have a chance at raring your rake instead?

1 hour ago, Attenia said:

+1

I'd also love to see rare animals that have a chance at being turned rare from taming or grooming. Possible qualities:

Immune: cannot become diseased (that's rare enough, you just have to keep 2 animals per tile at most.. 3rd one gets them in trouble)

Swift: additional speed trait

Fertile: has a higher chance at passing on conditions such as champion, greenish, etc., even if male (currently males can't pass on conditions at all)
(that's intentional, because of the 1hour cooldown for males, without it... non-champions were to be rare in farms)

Fat: remains fat without needing to be fed ever  :o:huh:Sorcery!

Let's also make armour that doesn't have spell casting penalties.:blink: basically... no shattering ever:rolleyes::ph34r:

It would be nice to give some more functions to the rares that currently have very limited uses, such as rare dirt, herbs, fish, etc. Maybe these could have a small chance of passing on their rarity to something else, like rare strange bones but obviously with only a small chance rather than certainty.

Rare dirt could be turned into http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Kiln with 1/100 chance.. rarely happens.. obviously.. because rare dirt is so easy to obtain; rare herbs.. could be sacrificed to get a 'refresh'(99nutrition/food/water maxed bars)

I'd like to see something better for rare farming rolls too. Getting one extra pumpkin or whatever isn't useful at all when you have an entire field of them, and most people don't just farm one tile. Maybe rare farming rolls could have a chance at raring your rake instead? LOL:huh::lol:

I do keep my penned animals with two in a pen, but I like to let my grazing ones run loose rather than having to build pens for all of them. Even though I have space for more than two tiles per animal, they tend to bunch up on one tile, which means I'm constantly carting off diseased ones to the sick pens. It would be nice not to have to worry about that.

I always thought a nice change to rare would be to make eating it give a random stat skillgain tick similar to sacrificing a supreme.  Or eaten to instantly fill bars :P