Sign in to follow this  
bdew

[BETA] 3D Stuff, AKA "Putting stuff on tables"

35 minutes ago, bdew said:

Honestly... i already have a coding day job that i hate, and would rather have my modding stay as a hobby that i enjoy :P

So even if offered i'm not sure i'd jump on it.

Oh my gosh bdew! It actually pains me to think that someone like you has to have a day job they hate. :( If you ever consider getting into the game industry as a programmer (if you already aren't), just know that there is a screeching need for good programmers and at least at our studio they're treated like royalty because good ones are so hard to find. The industry has it's own downfalls of course, but "not being fun" is certainly not one of them!

• Like 3

Perhaps the server I play on has an outdated version of this mod, but if it isn't outdated, I'd really like to be able to place items on cupboards if you have time to add that.

Thank you for all your heart work, bdew.

@bdew Are we able to add more item surfaces if we want to, or will that mess things up?  If yes, please explain the numbers.  For example, in the mod tripod table is:

# tripod table
container@896=0.300000,0.300000,0.850000,0.000000,0.000000

I understand that it is container 896, because I tried a #give 896 to check it out and got a tripod table.  :-)   

But when I use the wand to examine the table I made, the X, Y, Z are different than the ones in the mod.  I get 70, 70, 84.

Is this one of those things that we should just not mess with, or is there an easy enough way to customize our own threedee?  I would like to add large barrel (190), and chair (263) for example.

1 hour ago, Batta said:

Are we able to add more item surfaces if we want to, or will that mess things up?

Yes you can easily add items.

The numbers differ from what you see in the wand because the server has no idea what (visual) size an item is. What it lists there is just used for volume calculations and such and is useless for our purposes.

The only way to get the right numbers for now is empirically.... use this command:

• #surface add <id> <SizeX> <SizeY> <SizeZ> <OffsetX> <OffsetY> - adds or updates a surface item

to add a new item, then put some stuff on it and play with the values until it looks right. After changing anything push/pull the item to refresh the display. When you're happy with the result use this command to save it to config file

• #surface save - save changed configuration

Also please post any items you add here so i can add it to the default config in future versions.

5 hours ago, Antony said:

I'd really like to be able to place items on cupboards if you have time to add that

I'll look into it when i get the time, or you (or your server admin) could use the procedure above to do it yourself.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bdew said:

The only way to get the right numbers for now is empirically.... use this command:

• #surface add <id> <SizeX> <SizeY> <SizeZ> <OffsetX> <OffsetY> - adds or updates a surface item

Do we literally write <SizeX> <SizeY> <SizeZ> <OffsetX> <OffsetY>, or do we just input some initial values to be updated later?

Also, thank you very much for bearing with this sort of question. I am trying to learn Wurm mod code by doing, but there are so many things that are confusing now that will likely seem obvious later.  :-)

Edited by Batta

39 minutes ago, Batta said:

o we literally write <SizeX> <SizeY> <SizeZ> <OffsetX> <OffsetY>, or do we just input some initial values to be updated later?

Yes you need to put some values there to start with.

1 1 1 0 0 is probably a good starting point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdew said:

Yes you need to put some values there to start with.

1 1 1 0 0 is probably a good starting point.

Problem with my large barrel.  I typed #surface add 190 1 1 1 0 0, then placed a fork on top of a large barrel. The fork seemed to just disappear. I pushed and pulled the large barrel a few times, then tried changing to #surface add 190 0.9 0.9 0.9 0 0, just in case that might make it show up.  

Any thoughts about what I need to do to be able to see the fork I placed on the large barrel?  In case it matters, the barrel is dyed.

Edited by Batta

Try putting something bigger on. Or it might be hiding inside the barrel... try increasing the third number (Z) which will increase the height where the fork is.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, bdew said:

Try putting something bigger on. Or it might be hiding inside the barrel... try increasing the third number (Z) which will increase the height where the fork is.

It turns out that something as small as a fork is tough.  For others who might try it, my best figures were:

#surface add 190 1 1 1.099999 0 0 

for the large barrel. The fork gets a little bit buried in the surface, but it's still possible to retrieve it. Larger items look great, though.

Also had some good results with the royal chaise lounge (924). My settings were 1 1 0.65 0 0 - I like being able to place a book on the chaise, in this case Libram of the NIght.  :-)    

FB102172A2160D59EEA6003C5882519D529D6929

• Like 3

I love this mod!  Here are some settings we've had success with:

Spoiler

In Alphabetical Order:

large barrel (190) - 1 1 1.099999 0 0

large magical chest (664) - 1 1 0.92 0 0

larder (1277) - 1 1 2.15 0 0

planter rack (1110) - 1 1 2.1 0 0

royal chaise lounge (924) - 1 1 0.65 0 0

I'll add to this list as we figure out the best settings for more surfaces!

Edited by Batta
corrected item # for large magical chest
  • Like 1

@bdew Is there a way to remove a surface, if we got the code wrong?  I mean other than closing down the server without saving the new surface?  A command like

#surface remove 644

would be really handy.  :-)

On 12/13/2017 at 4:31 PM, bdew said:

#surface del <id> - deletes a surface item

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bdew said:

Oh good!  Thanks.  :-)

Omg, bdew.  I've just re-read this thread from the beginning and realized that virtually every question I've asked had already been explained in one of your previous posts that I simply hadn't understood. Thank you so much for your patience!

Edited by Batta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Batta said:

Oh good!  Thanks.  :-)

Omg, bdew.  I've just re-read this thread from the beginning and realized that virtually every question I've asked had already been explained in one of your previous posts that I simply hadn't understood. Thank you so much for your patience!

welcome to my world lol, i have to read things through about 6 times before i get it right lol...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Batta said:

I love this mod!  Here are some settings we've had success with:

Hide contents

In Alphabetical Order:

large barrel (190) - 1 1 1.099999 0 0

large magical chest (664) - 1 1 0.92 0 0

larder (1277) - 1 1 2.15 0 0

planter rack (1110) - 1 1 2.1 0 0

royal chaise lounge (924) - 1 1 0.65 0 0

I'll add to this list as we figure out the best settings for more surfaces!

Ooohhh, so you can add your own items and coordinates in the config file, nice! I'm gonna go test this out right away!

Edit: seems like there are a whole bunch of posts before this that I've missed for some reason. Cool stuff!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 0:36 AM, bdew said:

Yes you can easily add items.

The numbers differ from what you see in the wand because the server has no idea what (visual) size an item is. What it lists there is just used for volume calculations and such and is useless for our purposes.

to add a new item, then put some stuff on it and play with the values until it looks right. After changing anything push/pull the item to refresh the display. When you're happy with the result use this command to save it to config file

• #surface save - save changed configuration

Also please post any items you add here so i can add it to the default config in future versions.

I'll look into it when i get the time, or you (or your server admin) could use the procedure above to do it yourself.

Oooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!! NICE! Right, so you START with this, then get the values, THEN put them in the config. Even better!

Yay I succeeded! 

But two questions:

1) How do I check the ID of the items?

• I tried using act_show on, but that only shows the menus, not the items in the create list
  • I tried "Get info", but I guess it only shows the item of the very one that was spawned into the world
  • I tried "Set data", but it wasn't there either
  • I googled, found this discussion and checked the Pastebin pages linked there, which helped in that I was able to see the IDs of stuff up till that point in time like the white tome below, but those pastebins were from the year 2015, so it isn't up to date

2) Now that the white tome allows stuff being placed on it, it seems to lose that ability once it itself is on something else. So I guess the X and Y values are referring to the world height, not relative to the object itself?

placement.png

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

Okey dokey, I don't have much time right now, so I'll check more later, but for now here are a few new things that weren't yet mentioned (at least I don't think) that I guess can be pasted right into the config?

# canopy bed
container@890=1,000000,1,000000,0,880000,0,000000,0,000000
# wardrobe
container@892=1,000000,1,000000,2,000000,0,000000,0,000000
# bed
container@484=1,000000,1,000000,0,500000,0,000000,0,000000

Or else if you want to paste them in-game:

Canopy Bed
#surface add 890 1 1 0.88 0 0

Wardrobe
#surface add 892 1 1 2 0 0

Bed
#surface add 484 1 1 0.5 0 0

placement_items.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malena said:

How do I check the ID of the items?

You can see it with GMTOOL, under "item template"

y5DDHyK.png

Or here's an uptodate list: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/bdew/c0ecfaa95db334494cfb94388ae3016a/raw/f590f8445b0c7370064decb70383d1bd1401ac08/gistfile1.txt

1 hour ago, Malena said:

Now that the white tome allows stuff being placed on it, it seems to lose that ability once it itself is on something else.

For now the mod doesn't support stuff being placed on items that are themself placed on something. It's in my plans but getting all the code right for that is a bit challenging...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bdew said:

You can see it with GMTOOL, under "item template"

y5DDHyK.png

Yay, made a keybind for that and tried it out and it worked. I've never used the GMTOOL before so this was all new to me. Handy dandy! Thank you!

Darn, this is too fun. Should be doing other things right now, but here's a couple more:

# anvil
container@185=1,000000,1,000000,0,800000,0,000000,0,000000

# bench
container@404=1,000000,1,000000,0,550000,0,000000,0,000000

placement_items2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malena said:

container@185=1,000000,1,000000,0,800000,0,000000,0,000000

Hm i just noticed that in your config entries it uses a comma as a decimal separator... i guess it's a locale thing. This is not good because it also uses a comma to separate the values so the config won't load right once you restart the server.

I'll fix that in the next update, for now you should probably replace the messed up entries with this in your config:

# canopy bed
container@890=1.000000,1.000000,0.880000,0.000000,0.000000

# wardrobe
container@892=1.000000,1.000000,2.000000,0.000000,0.000000

# bed
container@484=1.000000,1.000000,0.500000,0.000000,0.000000

# anvil
container@185=1.000000,1.000000,0.800000,0.000000,0.000000

# bench
container@404=1.000000,1.000000,0.550000,0.000000,0.000000

Added: Also the first 2 values (x/y) should be changed to match the actual surface of the item, otherwise stuff will just stick out and hang in the air. Like a bench is definetly not a 1m by 1m square :P

The way i usually do it is put 4 items and push them to each corner as far as they would go, then tweak the numbers until they are visually sitting on the corner.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

Looks like using a bench as a surface currently isn't working right - you can put items on but they don't visually move when the bench is moved and don't appear on relog. This happens because benches are vehicles and use slightly different code that my stuff doesn't handle right... Will be fixed in next version.

• Like 1